Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.... I need to replace the starter on my 316 B43 Onan. I can see that the engine needs to be removed in order to unbolt the starter. Any tips on how best to remove the B43 without disconnecting more parts than I need to?

Thanks in advance!

Icey

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Hi,
Disconnect the headlight wire at the plug above the engine, remove the grill and the 4 bolts holding the hood uprights, and remove the hood assembly.
Remove the chole and throttle cables. You might have to remove the air cleaner to get at the choke cable.
Unplug the 3 wire plug at the right rear of the engine, and the plug going to the front pto.
Remove the fuel line going into the fuel pump.
Remove the 4 driveshaft bolts at the flywheel.
Remove the ground cable at the top of the left side head.
Remove the positive cable from the starter if you can get at it.
Remove the 4 motor mount bolts.
That should be most of it.
I use a chain hoist for engine removal, it works quite decent.

· Registered
635 Posts
Charms steps are spot on.
I'll add that with the 316 not having an access panel in the pedestal you need to remove deck and belly screen to get to the drive shaft bolts from the bottom. Helps for the engine bolts too.

I also think you can get away with not removing the air cleaner, choke and throttle cables and fuel line. It has been almost 20 years since I did a starter on my 316 but I think I was able to leave those connected and just shift the engine slightly forward and then use some scrap wood to tilt it to one side and replace the starter. I definitely recall replacing it without getting the engine all the way out and on a bench.

· Registered
2,791 Posts
Minisub, did your 316 have the P engine? On a B engine, the flywheel cover has to come off to access the starter bolts, unless you just cut some of the flywheel cover away, as I have seen done.

· Registered
635 Posts
It was a B for sure. I think the later G series replacement I put in not the original E series. If I recall, i used the starter from the E when the one on the G quit. Definitely didn't cut any of the tins, but I am pretty sure I managed it more or less in situ. I suppose I am being less than helpful with my foggy recollections. 😊

· Registered
2,266 Posts
I find it easier to pull the fender pan and allow the driveshaft to slide out attached to the motor than to try to remove driveshaft. I reinstall the same way. I can remove and install in under 2 hrs but usually takes longer as I get sidetracked by tacking care of other stuff when the engine is out.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the insight. I have most of the parts free, with the engine mounts remaining.

Agreed on other stuff along the way. The fuel lines need replacing along with the filter and firewall insulation. Probably other things too. For a 1984 it’s pretty clean actually since it’s always been garaged stored and maintained.

I’ll get back to it later today and take some photos to post.

I have the snowplow, wheel weights and the 50” mower deck.

Thanks again!
Icey

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally replaced the starter on my 1984 JD 316. Not a bad process actually. I lifted the motor off the frame and placed it on my workbench using bolts in the motor mounts to level the motor on the bench. I replaced the original starter with a new starter (with bendix) from J&N Electric. It was model # 410-21036. It bolted right up and the gears meshed fine. I also found a NOS bendix on Ebay and rebuilt the original starter, keeping it as a spare. (The bendix was the problem with the old starter, the motor and bendix drive shaft still work great.)

Thanks for the info on removing the engine. Note that removing the entire hood assembly was easy and actually the engine is not that heavy. It was fairly easy to carry it to a workbench, although the starter probably could be replaced with the engine tilted within the frame. I opted for having it on the workbench which allowed me to clean the frame a bit.

I also unbolted the driveshaft from the engine (4 bolts) and left it in the frame still connected to the pump. Charms simple punchlist worked fine, Thank You!

Icey

Metal Cylinder Engineering Auto part Magenta

1 - 9 of 9 Posts