Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you correctly store your tire chains? I was thinking of a bucket with enough oil to keep them from rusting but that sure will be messy next winter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine are hanging on two nails per chain in the attic spread apart for no chance of getting twisted. I haven't used chains since bout 05. to save the mess of oil maybe try painted them with some rust inhibitor paint.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Same as burned...painted, then hung.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Unless you've got a "show machine", I wouldn't worry about it! I bought a used 314 in '82 with used mildly rusted chains. I put'em on in the fall, took'em off in the spring...for 3 years. I then left them on the tractor year round until 2010 when a divorce forced me to get rid of the tractor. I used the tractor in the summer for mowing, blading, and general hauling/yard work. I bladed & threw snow in the winter. When I lost the tractor, it still had the same chains on, a little more rusty, but they never rusted through or broke in the 25 years of use.

Unless you store them in oil AND oil them after EVERY use, they're gonna rust! Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just throw mine in a small pail, maybe (guessing) a gallon? It's a small hydraulic cement bucket from the box store...). My truck chains, I keep those in the sack that they came in. If you think about it for a second, they are a ground engaging attachment... Paint won't stay, and unless you store them in oil, they're going to rust. As you said, oil is going to be messy. And then some. Store them some place where they're not getting tossed around all the time, and then you use them, and then the rust is gone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I keep my loaded/ chained set for my 317 assembled and ready to go. Other times, it’s lug tires. The set of chains I bought were actually made with stainless and no worries about rust.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess since I got these with an old tractor and saved them in a bucket for years then used them one year, and probably wont use them again for years I will spay them down and roll them up in an old T shirt and box them up.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
732 Posts
If they're put away clean and dry, you'll only get some surface rust, not "eating through my chains" rust if they were left in some mud. Don't bother with painting or oiling. I have a set of chains that haven't been used since about 2012 when I bought an extra pair of rims for lugs so the turf tires only get used for summer. They're just lying on the floor and haven't materially decayed.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Mine are hung up from a hook telling me the side and tractor they are from on a easily removable plastic tag. I have 3 tractors with 23x10.50-12s and the chains fit differently bey the pair. Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts