Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search function helped and fellow members suggestion (months ago). I finally got around to fixing a leaking front tire on my 314. I pretty much went the entire mowing season last year, inflating the tire prior to use. Every time. I decided that I wasn't doing that this year.

I bought the harbor freight mini tire changer. It worked good mounted in my bench vise. As much as I vowed to not buy made in china tools anymore, I had no choice if I wanted to do it myself. I tried a c-clamp and a ball joint tool, but couldn't break the bead.

The tires were 16.5x6.50-8, 6 ply trailer tires (stiff sidewall). The bead on the tire had a cut, probably why it leaked. But, holy cow the wheel looked like a rusty cast iron pan. I wire wheeled it, rustoleum coated and still doubted a new tire would seal.

So I thought of running it with a tube. Then I thought well, if I buy a new tire for a lawn tractor I would have to buy two because they were/are 16.5 diameter and lawn tractor size tires that I could find on the internet are 16". None of the usual suspects stock tires locally. So I have to order online.

So after a winter hiatus I returned to WFM to find what ya'll are running for front tires. I like the idea of that classic tractor look. Even though it costs way more than a regular turf tire. So I ordered a set of Vredestein V61's, with tubes from Miller tire.

I won't have to worry about the cast iron looking surface of the wheel, especially if the second wheel ends up looking the same. Thanks to this site I spent more money than I should have for a lawn mower tire. But I will look like a JD afficianado in my neigborhood; 40 year old 314 with ribbed front tires. I think replacing the rears with ag tires might be overdoing it.

0328211026.jpg

·
Registered
956 Posts
Lucky having a tire changer, those V61’s are essentially steel due to the ply count and being so small.

·
Registered
956 Posts
So, the big question now, where you able to mount the V61's??
He’s probably hospitalized from the historic fight to install them. 😂

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just ordered the V61's today.

Ummm...the way I read the responses I must have missed something when I used the search function on WFM. Sooooo what am I in for? I take it the HF mini tire changer is not going to cut it for the job.

To protect the innocent, I do have access to a real tire machine. A buddy has helped me out before and offered to help with this project. I declined the offer a couple of days ago, remarking something about "what if I lived in Alaska miles from town?" An inside joke between us, making do to get the job done.

If it is as bad as the hints I read in the comments, I hope my wheel diameter will fit my buddies machine.

Side note about the mini tire changer; I neglected to remove the grease zerk before removing the tire. The tool popped the zerk out of the hole (didn't break it off). I have been revelling in my success at removing the tire from the wheel and haven't inspected the zerk fitting hole for damage. Yet.

My attempt at wheel restoration...now I gotta do the other three.
0329211818.jpg

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have that mini changer too. Got it a couple years ago to swap some newer rubber onto the fronts for my 317. I think I mentally blocked the process, as all I can remember is a lot of profanity and anger. It DID work, and I got the tires on and haven't had a problem, but it wasn't near as easy as I had hoped.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I just ordered the V61's today.

Ummm...the way I read the responses I must have missed something when I used the search function on WFM. Sooooo what am I in for? I take it the HF mini tire changer is not going to cut it for the job.

To protect the innocent, I do have access to a real tire machine. A buddy has helped me out before and offered to help with this project. I declined the offer a couple of days ago, remarking something about "what if I lived in Alaska miles from town?" An inside joke between us, making do to get the job done.

If it is as bad as the hints I read in the comments, I hope my wheel diameter will fit my buddies machine.

Side note about the mini tire changer; I neglected to remove the grease zerk before removing the tire. The tool popped the zerk out of the hole (didn't break it off). I have been revelling in my success at removing the tire from the wheel and haven't inspected the zerk fitting hole for damage. Yet.

My attempt at wheel restoration...now I gotta do the other three. View attachment 264886
They’re bears to put on but nothing impossible, basically just a much stiffer version of what you took off. (And I put them on with tires irons so you should have it easier)

·
Registered
847 Posts
I know these V61s are popular but I'm not so thrilled with them because they're very split after a 2013 purchase date. I still have the original turf rear tires that came with the tractor and are at least twice as old, have sat outside in the weather their entire lives, and there is no sign of any splitting. The only way these tires have benefitted me is that they stay mostly round even when completely flat, due to the ply count. They stayed inflated for the first year on freshly cleaned and painted rims, and then have gone flat ever since. Valve stems have been replaced but they go down faster and faster to the point now where I usually just run them flat. I'll replace them with something a bit more friendly, probably some kind of turf. Just a bit of info to use or ignore as you choose, and definitely not dismissing anyone else's choices, was just my experience with them. Maybe I got a bad batch.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Neil, I think they recommend running tubes in them. I have them in mine. Don’t have issues with the flats.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Super Moderator
3,832 Posts
I like them. What are they and where did you get them.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Neil, I think they recommend running tubes in them. I have them in mine. Don’t have issues with the flats.
Yep, they’re tubed per the Miller Tire page, mine have been on for 2 years and I believe still have pressure.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
What is the correct tubes for front tires? I see no reason to replace tires with good tread if using a tube will fix the slow leak down issues.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I like them. What are they and where did you get them.
Here's my thread on tire choice for the 322: The 322 is almost finished...just waiting for new rear shoes
Thinking I'll put a pair on the 212 too when the time comes. Plenty of grip on turf and dirt and not aggressive like the bar tires on the 430, bad for my sandy loam soil. Forget the brand/type name but I ordered them on simpletire dot com. Price competitive with turfs and less than Carlisle or Deestone bar tires. The dude in the FedEx truck dropped them at my front door about 3 days after I ordered/paid online...so they are locally sourced depending on your location. Then it was off to the local tire shop and presto...Bob's yer uncle!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks guys. I picked up some tubes today so will get them installed when I take the car down to the mechanic for some work - they can do the tractor tires as well

1 - 20 of 43 Posts