Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 1989 332 with the stock rims and tires and would like to put ag tires on the rear and v61 ribbed on the front. I wouldn't mind going with bigger tires on both front and rear, but I want to avoid the bulging/rounded look that sometimes happens if you don't upsize rims as well. Should I just stick with more standard sizing on the stock rims? What tire size/rim combinations work best? What rims from other model tractors could I switch to if I want a larger rim? My rims aren't the five lug pattern, unfortunately. What year did Deere switch to using lugs on the front instead the snap ring/spindle attach?

Thanks!
Jordan

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Stock rear is 23x10.5-12 tires (8 1/2 inch wide rim) ... 400 series tractors use 26x12-12 (10 1/2 inch wide rim) ... Interchangeable as long as tire clears the fender deck.
Stock front size is 16x6.50-8 ... 400 series tractors use 18x8.50-8 tires ... I do not believe they are interchangeable due to axle diameter

I think the beginning of lug bolt fronts were on the X465/475/485/495 and comparable X5XX series tractors. I do not believe spindles are interchangeable but there are companies that supply this option ... http://www.xtrememotorworks.com/Parts Catalog/Rim-Tire-Accessories-Cub-Cadet.html

Perils of replacing stock with oversize wheels

• You haven't told us what you use this tractor for; what attachments are used on the tractor. Problem with oversize wheels is attachments may no longer clear the oversize wheels. Attached photo is my 317. It had (still on tractor) 26X12-12 rims and tires from early 420 on tractor. Mower deck had rear gage wheels/mounting brackets cut off deck because they contacted oversize rears.
  • I had a set of modified front spindles (1" axle with four bolt rims) fabricated to run 18x8.50-8 golf cart wheels. Front tires now contact the drive shaft tube on model 49 snow thrower at full steer left/right.
  • 318 quick hitch/attachments work fine on front of tractor
  • Haven't installed 3PH yet so cannot comment on fit on rear of tractor.
I don't have photos of my 332 w/ model 44 loader but can get tomorrow if you would like. Tractor has 23x10.5-12 Deestone AG's on rear. They are tubed and filled with WS washer fluid; two cast iron weights on each wheel. Fronts are V61's on stock rims.

Gabby

Attachments

Reactions: Caradec

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
As you can see from my 'non-identical twin' 322 tractors (one a 1988 and the other a 1992...) it is a simple matter of putting the lugged hubs on the metric spindles. Very early 332 tractors had 1 inch diameter spindles, so you would need to do a bit more work like I did on my 317. Here are some pictures of the 322 front wheels including a close up, followed by the link to the 317 modifications:

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Grass Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Motor vehicle Agricultural machinery

http://www.wfmachines.com/forums/sh...17-look-tall-and-stubby?highlight=make+stubby

Chuck

·
Registered
816 Posts
Your 332 has metric (25 mm) front spindles and can use front wheels from a late 420/430 or also a 445/455.

I have the larger rims and tires on both my 332 and 318. The front tires do rub the paint on the 50" mower deck and also rub the steering cylinder when turning hard left.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice, that helps clear things up for me. Gabby, would love to see pics of your 332 setup. Do you like the Deestones on the rear? Have been trying to decide between them and Trupowers, but hard to argue with the price on the Deestones. To answer your question about what I use it for, I don't mow with my 332. I use it for pulling the core aerator twice a year, pulling my 60 gallon boom sprayer, and am wanting to get set up for snow plowing in the winter (if/when we actually get snow, which hasn't been very often the last couple years in central Kansas).

Chuck, I didn't realize it was so simple to put lugged hubs on , would love to make that modification.

Jeff, nice pair of machines. Always like to see another 332!

This is hijacking the topic of my own thread a little bit, but seeing the quick hitch and broom on the 317 raised another question I've had. Can someone explain the quick hitches and what attachments they work with?

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Attached a couple photos of my 332 w/44 loader and one of my 314. Stock size wheels front and rear. I run DeeStones because I can get them locally for $100 apiece. I have no issues with them and impressed with them on my 314.

I think others agree that you need to be aware there could be clearance issues if you go oversize. Attachments you are currently using should not be an issue.

60 gallon boom sprayer, Wow. I need one of those for my rural property but only need for a couple of years. Wonder if someone local rents one that size ... Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
816 Posts
One thing to be aware of, the Deestones run smaller in actual size compared to other tires.

More pictures with 26" and 18" tires on my 332 pulling a 2 bottom plow.
Farmworker Agricultural machinery Tractor Vehicle Soil

Tractor Agricultural machinery Farmworker Soil Vehicle

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
As Jeff said not all tires are equal. Even stock size tires in one brand I could put 20 lb more in rimgaurd then another size due to hieght. So larger sized rims with the right tire you could still fit a mower deck. But since you aren't mowing then find what fits your style and budget. I did find the larger V61 tires will rub the steer cylinder fully turned. I added as my land is either wet or frozen. So I sink really quick and needed the extra foot print. I got sick of getting stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeff, nice plowing pics. What brand are your 26" rears on your 332?

Gabby, below you can see my sprayer. It was a Craigslist find, has a 10' boom as well as a hand wand for spot spraying, works great. Makes quick work of spraying my lawn for weeds, which I've been having to do frequently since I just planted my lawn last year and it's still fairly thin.

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Lawn

Garrett, nice work on your 140 - really good looking machine. Both your front and rears look great even on the stock rims.

- Jordan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great comparison! Really shows the difference in the angle of the tread bars and the spacing between them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Jeff, nice plowing pics. What brand are your 26" rears on your 332?

- Jordan
Thanks. If you look close, there are 3 different sets of 26" tires in the pictures I posted. A set of turfs, an old set of Good Years (less aggressive), and a set of Maxxis Power Lug (more aggressive).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts