Weekend Freedom Machines banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
A quick glance at the Yanmar data shows the 322, 330 and 332 engines, which are all the same displacement, also have identical bore and stroke dimensions...and these engines also have the same PEAK torque specifications. The diesel does have a 'flatter' torque so it retains power at lower (loaded) RPMs and that is where the extra "grunt" comes from.

Increasing the stroke in any engine does increase the torque compared to the same engine bore with a shorter stroke (even at the same compression ratio) because the lever arm is longer. Similarly, increasing the bore with an unchanged stroke can also increase torque due to the greater force applied to the piston and therefore to the crank arm. Add the possibility to use various compression ratios on gas engines and then factor the higher compression diesel fuel variants and you can see that torque is the result of many parameters taken in concert...

Tom -- a re-power of a 318 say that converts the fuel system, and perhaps a liquid cooled capability added, is more added complexity and cost. There are a few single cylinder, two cylinder and three cylinder diesel re-power threads on this site over the years (many of which were done because they COULD and not particularly for performance advantages.) Small air cooled diesel engines are typically less power for their physical size than small gas engines.

Chuck

·
Registered
273 Posts
So, if a diesel is the 'Cat's Meow' then why don't people convert to diesel when doing a repower? I mean your already spending a lot of bucks on the repower, why not take the plunge and go whole hog?
The cost of the engine, Availability, and having to reconfigure the tractor and frame to make all the stuff needed to make it work correctly.
You can get an air cooled single cyl diesel engine but I don't think they are more than 16hp. Someone on here did a JD 110 with a single cyl diesel.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
And you have to find the engine, gas twins are extremely common and cheap, small diesels aren’t either of those.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Never seen anything on the working life of the foreign diesels, but they are out there. Parts? Who knows?
Technically Yanmars and Kubotas (think some are domestically built now though) are foreign/Japanese along with Deutz engines (which are generally well regarded from my reading be anyone who kept them maintained/cleaned otherwise they had issues being air cooled)
Otherwise MAN and Liebherr engines are relatively popular among the Ag companies for high HP and seem decently supported. Of course parts support varies some for the last three depending on what one has in terms of dealers as Agco is notorious for a fragmented dealer network, Claas generally is decent as they have a lot of Cat dealers in their network but still isn’t perfect, and Deere is pretty common (they ran the Liehberr’s in a few SPFH’s) and I have no clue as to what CNH has in terms of engines as I generally don’t care about them.

I may geek out a bit with European Ag equipment…

·
Registered
1986 JD 318
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Technically Yanmars and Kubotas (think some are domestically built now though) are foreign/Japanese along with Deutz engines (which are generally well regarded from my reading be anyone who kept them maintained/cleaned otherwise they had issues being air cooled)
Otherwise MAN and Liebherr engines are relatively popular among the Ag companies for high HP and seem decently supported. Of course parts support varies some for the last three depending on what one has in terms of dealers as Agco is notorious for a fragmented dealer network, Claas generally is decent as they have a lot of Cat dealers in their network but still isn’t perfect, and Deere is pretty common (they ran the Liehberr’s in a few SPFH’s) and I have no clue as to what CNH has in terms of engines as I generally don’t care about them.

I may geek out a bit with European Ag equipment…
These are a record responses to my inquiry regarding torque. WOW !

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I was just sticking to the common imports, otherwise it’d be a long list. :LOL:

61 - 71 of 71 Posts