Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 317 with a KT17 series II and the standard hydrostatic transmission. I need to pull a utility trailer around my property with a large 125 gallon tank to spray my trees with a chemical (I installed a ball hitch). I full tank itself would weigh 1000 pounds and the small trailer is over 125 pounds. Of course the tractor does not need to drag the load but pull it on a trailer. Does anyone know the towing capability of the 317 ? I have never seen that stat posted anywhere. I know it was designed for heavy duty use as a garden tractor with implements but there is a difference between using my 33 tiller or 49 snow thrower and pulling around 1200 pounds of trailer and load. I don't want to blow my hydrostatic transmission.

Has John Deere ever posted weight limits or capabilities of their tractors?

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
The bigger issue is going to be braking... How flat is your property? These hydro transmissions can move quite a bit of weight on the flat (particularly on pavement where rolling resistance is minimum...) but if you are going to take this rig through an orchard or over any rough ground it is much more difficult. And braking on any sort of grade is going to be very marginal to downright dangerous.

I could move my EMPTY cargo trailer with my x495 and would have done so with my 322 also, but only on flat gravel that was packed down fairly well...
Cargo trailer and x495.JPG

Chuck

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bigger issue is going to be braking... How flat is your property? These hydro transmissions can move quite a bit of weight on the flat (particularly on pavement where rolling resistance is minimum...) but if you are going to take this rig through an orchard or over any rough ground it is much more difficult. And braking on any sort of grade is going to be very marginal to downright dangerous.

I could move my EMPTY cargo trailer with my x495 and would have done so with my 322 also, but only on flat gravel that was packed down fairly well...
View attachment 258448

Chuck
I have level ground and will be moving the trailer on mostly grass covered ground - no pavement. I am ok not moving the tank fully filled and can fill it on location if necessary. I have long hoses where I can fill the tank where I need to spray but it would be nice to be able to move the tank at least half full because my trees are over a two acre area.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 317 with a KT17 series II and the standard hydrostatic transmission. I need to pull a utility trailer around my property with a large 125 gallon tank to spray my trees with a chemical (I installed a ball hitch). I full tank itself would weigh 1000 pounds and the small trailer is over 125 pounds. Of course the tractor does not need to drag the load but pull it on a trailer. Does anyone know the towing capability of the 317 ? I have never seen that stat posted anywhere. I know it was designed for heavy duty use as a garden tractor with implements but there is a difference between using my 33 tiller or 49 snow thrower and pulling around 1200 pounds of trailer and load. I don't want to blow my hydrostatic transmission.

Has John Deere ever posted weight capabilities or limits for their tractors?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I pull a 55 gallon drum I mounted to a homemade trailer(tank fills with rainwater) to my orchard with a 111. I see no problem with your tractor pulling twice the weight since your tractor is three times the tractor. The 80 cart sold as an accessory for your tractor is rated for 1,000 pounds...

·
Premium Member
8,039 Posts
On the level and using the cautions you indicate with topping off the tank "on-site" you will likely have no difficulties. I think you have the concerns I had initially with braking on grades fully mitigated...

Traction on the grass may be an issue if you don't have enough tongue weight on the trailer getting transferred to the hitch on the tractor...

Chuck

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Should be okay. I am using a 1969 140, which is older but similar weight to a 317, to pull a 150 gallon tank on a 2 wheel trailer to water some recently planted trees. Some flat ground, and some small inclines. Seems to work well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I often pull my trailers to the bag yard. 21 ft Bow rider weighing approx. 3000 lbs. The lot slopes enough to cause problems. Down is fine, up not so much. I also had a 18 ft flat trailer with various loads but never weighed. I have found the issue is traction when pulling. I really don't think you would harm the trans or drive line as it's nearly impossible to load them to the point that wheels/tires won't brake loose first. I do agree with ChuckV in regards to the braking. Even if your brakes were in good condition the same issue would apply. Lack of traction for stopping. And, the hydro would likely lock the wheels up, good brakes or not.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Should be no problem for the drivetrain. A potential problem is not enough traction, bar tires would help (not necessary) along with weight (wheel and tongue) just don’t crush it. Also watch your front end to make sure it stays on the ground with enough traction so that it turns without skidding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should be okay. I am using a 1969 140, which is older but similar weight to a 317, to pull a 150 gallon tank on a 2 wheel trailer to water some recently planted trees. Some flat ground, and some small inclines. Seems to work well.
Good to hear of its capability. Was the tank full?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am really impressed by the info everyone has posted here about the tow capabilities of the 317. How do I know when I am reaching the limits of the transmission? I don't want to damage it.

Has Deere ever posted the stats for the tractor anywhere as to the foot-pounds the transmission/tractor is capable? How about Sundstrand ?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you will spin the tires before any damage could be done.
That has been mentioned before and am glad you are in agreement. That would indicate a good thing - the transmission was properly over-designed so that it would not fail before other parts or physical limitations, in this case slippage of tires.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That has been mentioned before and am glad you are in agreement. That would indicate a good thing - the transmission was properly over-designed so that it would not fail before other parts or physical limitations, in this case slippage of tires.
Yeah I mean I do it all the time with all my equipment. Too heavy going forward it will spin, too heavy in reverse the front wheels come of ground lol.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
It’ll be harder to spin the tires with the tongue weight of a heavier trailer. So the big thing to use is common sense.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’ll be harder to spin the tires with the tongue weight of a heavier trailer. So the big thing to use is common sense.
True that. I get maximum traction at @ 10 psi in the tires. The beauty of most garden tractors is you get 2 brake pedals for when the front tires are off the ground from too much weight you can still steer it!(y):ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have pulled my 4x8 utility trailer with my 322 with over a half cord of wood with no problem. The only problem I had was when I got off it set the parking brake walked away and it rolled down a small incline Since then I fixed the brakes and haven;t had any problem

·
Registered
863 Posts
I read in a manual, possibly for the model 10 cart, that Deere says not to exceed the weight of the tractor for most applications otherwise the brakes will not hold up. Of course we all know that these machines can do alot more than their stock 700 lbs, or up to 900 with the 332, but we should never forget to evaluate the situation so that we don't get pushed down a hill into a tree or have the front tires come off the ground and pinch us against the trailer.

Don't take me for some safety guy since I have have pulled upwards of 3 tons with my 332, and sometimes have needed to use the individual brakes to steer when the front tires are a hair off the ground, but I don't want to hear of anyone getting hurt.

Ryan

Reactions: Randy-IA
1 - 20 of 28 Posts