Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
318 Deere with a 20hp Onan, 48" deck, Powerflow bagger system, and Snow Blower.
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So over the weekend I picked up a cab for my 420. It has the manual wiper handle, and the part that sticks through, but no blade.

With already busy hands (hydro, up/down and Chute, and steering) and knowing how much snow usually comes back at me, I'm looking at a few cheap units on Amazon and Ebay that are around $40.

Anyone running one?

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice! I've seen them for $40 on Amazon. I'll give one a try!

· Registered
932 Posts
I've considered adding power to my wiper but find that I only occasionally need to swipe the wiper manually. I find the condensation on the inside of the windows more bothersome.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've considered adding power to my wiper but find that I only occasionally need to swipe the wiper manually. I find the condensation on the inside of the windows more bothersome.
I was thinking about that as well. I think ill be picking up an electric heater to help with that. I already have a little... school bus type fan I plan to throw in. I figure winter it will help with the fogging and summer it will help keep me cool

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got glass for the front. The rear is like tent material on a frame. The sides are plexiglass. I'll get some of the RainX for Plex and give it a try on those!

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
8,982 Posts
I run with no back window so no window frost issues. I'm happy just being out of the wind. It isn't as noisy as it is with the rear glass in either.
Tire Plant Wheel Building Automotive tire

The upper front glass is safety glass and the lower panel is plexi. It actually was safety glass too till it suddenly imploded one day.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Meant to comment on the wiper. The motor on mine was good but I couldn't find a blade for it. I don't recall what it was for but I bought a wiper/blade combo for around 25 bucks and the blade happened to be the same length and connection type as the old wiper blade. So I put it on the old motor and stashed the new one in a cabinet. That was about 7 or 8 years ago. So far so good.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

This one just has the one glass panel on hinges. This weekend I plan to work on making the "boots" down near my feet and try to find a way to seal a few other larger gaps.

The back window gives me an idea though. Mine the back window is held in with a bottom track and 2 snap clips. If fogging is an issue, I can slide it to the side and leave a... 1" gap for airflow if needed.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Hey that's a pretty nice cab Dood (y). Good bones. Well worth investing some time and a bit of money in it. For now some canvas for the openings and you'd be good to blow snow. Then just fix the cab up to your liking as time and fund$ allow.

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey that's a pretty nice cab Dood (y). Good bones. Well worth investing some time and a bit of money in it. For now some canvas for the openings and you'd be good to blow snow. Then just fix the cab up to your liking as time and fund$ allow.
Thats exactly my plan! I have some material I got for a boat cover I was going to alter, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Once I find that I'll make some boots for the openings, and be all set.

· Registered
932 Posts
Here's a few pics of the approach I took. The footwells are two layers of Cordura fabric with a layer of foam packing material sandwiched between them for some stiffness and to maintain a bit of shape.

Sleeve Motor vehicle Tread Bag Hood

I used snaps for easy off and on.

Green Product Wood Engineering Flooring

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Sewing machine Automotive tire

Green Motor vehicle Yellow Gas Vehicle

Of course the loader was a complicating factor. One of the criteria for the loader build was it would have to live nice with a cab. I had dreamed of a custom cab but this one found it's way to me and has worked well enough that I abandoned the new cab fantasy.

Motor vehicle Green Automotive design Bag Hood

Apologies for the pre-season snow pic.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

· Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's a few pics of the approach I took. The footwells are two layers of Cordura fabric with a layer of foam packing material sandwiched between them for some stiffness and to maintain a bit of shape.

View attachment 285297

I used snaps for easy off and on.

View attachment 285298

View attachment 285299

View attachment 285300

Of course the loader was a complicating factor. One of the criteria for the loader build was it would have to live nice with a cab. I had dreamed of a custom cab but this one found it's way to me and has worked well enough that I abandoned the new cab fantasy.

View attachment 285303

Apologies for the pre-season snow pic.

View attachment 285306
Those look great! I need to get some snaps for mine. I have them "on there" but I used existing holes and just screwed through the material and some aluminum I had laying around. It will work for now till I can get some snaps and do it properly. Adding the insulation is a great idea. I may have to follow suit!

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again.. Grandpa Jay never does anything half-assed. (y)

· Registered
8,982 Posts
Edit: I meant if you're cutting through deep drifts.

How does the extra width on the back affect the blower Jay? I used to run the rear wheels in the wide position but when I put the gnarly Mud Lites on my blower 400 I went with the narrow position. Not because there was a problem having the tires further out and there was no apparent improvement. Just seemed like a good idea at the time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts