Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1978 JD 316 that belonged to my grandfather.
It ran great, up until he put it in storage about 9yrs ago.
Still has some 9 year old gas in it and I haven't tried to start it or do anything to it yet.

Could I get some advice on what I should do or not do before I hook up a battery and turn the key?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Drain the tank, rebuild the carb, and change the oil.

I had one last year that sat out and uncovered for 15 years. It started right up.

I personally have a plastic tank I hook up instead of the stock one for testing. I just bungy cord it to the hood. Then I replace the fuel lines and wash the regular fuel tank before running them more after confirming they do run

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drain the tank, rebuild the carb, and change the oil.

I had one last year that sat out and uncovered for 15 years. It started right up.

I personally have a plastic tank I hook up instead of the stock one for testing. I just bungy cord it to the hood. Then I replace the fuel lines and wash the regular fuel tank before running them more after confirming they do run
The advice is very much appreciated.
Someone told me to remove the spark plug and pour a teaspoon of oil down the cylinder. Does that sound beneficial?

·
Registered
612 Posts
The advice is very much appreciated.
Someone told me to remove the spark plug and pour a teaspoon of oil down the cylinder. Does that sound beneficial?

It may be of some small benefit to put a very small amount of clean engine oil into the cylinder via the spark plug hole and rotate the engine over slowly in an attempt to pre-lube the cylinder liner. If you decide to do this it may be best to do it before changing the oil, leave it set overnight, and then change the oil. I would be hesitant to pre-lube the cylinder in this manner, and then attempt to start the engine right afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts