Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to build a tractor shovel. So I have 2 main questions:

1. What should the bottom plate thickness be? 1\4"? 3\8"?
2. I have a 54 blade, but also have an unused 43 blade. Would it be better to build a slightly heavier unit using the 43 blade, in liue of the 54 blade?

Thanks.

JD 317.

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Do you plan to have it pivot or clamshell to dump? Generally gt loader buckets are rather thin 1/8 maybe with a 1/4-3/8 cutting edge.

I'd probably use the 43 if moving Loam and other heavy material or digging.. 54 for mulch, leaves and as a carry all.

·
Registered
479 Posts
A smaller blade/bucket is definitely easier on the machine. you can use the lighter gage but you might consider a hardened edge like on a loader bucket

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. This will be more of a clamshell style. Similar to the Superior scoop. This will be mostly for heavier gravel and dirt. I'm leaning towards a smaller one using the 43 blade on the 54 frame.

I'm thinking 1/8 inch thick sides and 1/4 inch thick bottom with the cutting edge.

JD 317

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used a 43 and 3/16" all the way around. I also put a cutting edge that I got from the local steel yard as a short drop it was around 54"-56". I angled the bucket out to about 45" or 46" wide at the front and the stock width of the blade at the back. I cut the edge the width of the bucket and then put a piece of cutting edge about 4" vertically on each side of the bucket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well finally found some time today to work on the tractor shovel. Got it all welded up. Just need to clean it up with the grinder and prep for paint. I took it out in the field tonight and it worked great. this could be the handiest attachment I've ever built.

I'll try to post some pictures if I can figure out how to do it.

Jd 317

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Nice work on the clamshell JD. I can see this as a very useful attachment. I think the 43 was a wise choice for this project on a 317. I use a 43" blade for most of my dirt work because I've seen to many 54's bent up from overstressing an edge. Waiting to see photos of the finished bucket.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts