Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few tractors in my collection that I don't want to let go and need some input. I'm looking to maximize storage space in my shed. The shed has a 10ft. ceiling and I'd love to use some of that space in some way.

I'm looking to build a 4 post type setup. They will be 300 series, so it would need to hold 8-900 lbs. I'd love to use square tube around 4" I'm thinking would be adequate for the capacity. The 4 posts would be the corners and I would use flat steel sections for the drive on part and cross brace them. Most likely put flat feet on the bottom so that the square tubing isn't directly contacting the floor and would aid spreading the weight. I really need CAD to draw this up.

I have a friend who does fabrication for a living and am not concerned about that part, more so the design being adequate.

It would be similar to the lift racks that people store their collector cars on. Just would use ATV ramps to let the tractor drive itself up.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1989 318
2,506 Posts
That sounds doable to me! You could do it with wood 4x4 or 4x6 for far less money.

·
Registered
1989 318
2,506 Posts
If you venture to build one make it where you have to winch the tractors onto it instead of driving them on, way safer and you don't need the headroom required for a driver. And, you won't fall off the thing getting off a tractor! I recently rigged up a block and tackle with 2 double pulleys to multiply my pull by a factor of 4, it gives you a good slow controlled pull. I used it to pull a tractor into the garage, I had a slope to deal with going up to the garage.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I want to do this when we get the new pole barn build, if steel ever comes down! I have a large New Holland skidloader that can lift 2200lbs, I always thought I could rack them up that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts