Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 8' x 16 +3' dovetail trailer in 1996 to haul a 2 cyl tractor on. The first 14 years I had it it was keep inside my shop and looked new. In 2010 I bought an enclosed trailer and put it inside shop. Open trailer sat out in weather for about 12 years and was really looking rough. See pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sold the enclosed trailer last summer and decided to restore the open trailer.Took floor and lights off, had frame sand blasted, primed, painted, new wheel bearings, brakes, brake drums, tires & wheels, lights, reflective tape, breakaway battery, and floor installed. I built a spare tire holder and finished floor using polyurethane. It is stored back in my shop now. See pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 318
2,999 Posts
Nicely done dude! It looks like it has the same level of attention to detail as your tractors did, quite fitting!

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great! You must have a pretty big shop if you have the space for a 16ft trailer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. Shop is 40 ft x 60 ft x 11 ft tall. I built this 31 years ago. I have enjoyed having it but don't use it every day. It is about full of "stuff". Some days I walk out there and wonder why in the world did I buy this "stuff".

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
You definitely don't do anything half assed Joe.

I sold the enclosed trailer last summer and decided to restore the open trailer.Took floor and lights off, had frame sand blasted, primed, painted, new wheel bearings, brakes, brake drums, tires & wheels, lights, reflective tape, breakaway battery, and floor installed. I built a spare tire holder and finished floor using polyurethane. It is stored back in my shop now. See pictures below.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Army, you are right about the old fart part and I am reasonable likeable. well most of the time anyway.

I do like to try to do things right. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Of course I couldn't even begin to keep up with you. And the older I get the less I enjoy working on things. You DEFINITELY do a good job restoring things.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
There's a part in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 where Star Lord (Chris Pratt) refers to Thor (Chris Hemmingsworth) as a dude and the muscleman character (whose name I forget) says 'He's not a dude,. You're a dude. He's a man'. So now I always chuckle when somebody calls somebody else a dude. :D

I have never thought of Joe as a dude.

• Love

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I'm gonna be a 68 year old fart soon. If we both keep going I'll catch up to you eventually. :D

I do some stuff right and some stuff not right. Like everybody else here I can do a pretty good job if I want to but sometimes time constraints and parts availability/expense get in the way so I just make something work adequately and leave it at that.

Army, you are right about the old fart part and I am reasonable likeable. well most of the time anyway.

I do like to try to do things right. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Of course I couldn't even begin to keep up with you. And the older I get the less I enjoy working on things. You DEFINITELY do a good job restoring things.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
So 2400 sq ft. Mine is only about 1750 sq ft so I'm jealous of yours now :rolleyes::D.

Thanks. Shop is 40 ft x 60 ft x 11 ft tall. I built this 31 years ago. I have enjoyed having it but don't use it every day. It is about full of "stuff". Some days I walk out there and wonder why in the world did I buy this "stuff".

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
This is the best looking wood finish I ever saw on a trailer. Looks like it's wet. Must have been a ton of work to pull that off.
Wood Yellow Rectangle Hardwood Flooring

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is the best looking wood finish I ever saw on a trailer. Looks like it's wet. Must have been a ton of work to pull that off.
View attachment 282806
It was really pretty easy. I used polyurethane. Used a brush around the edges to keep it off the metal and then used a 3" wide roller with a long handle. Could stand up and roll it on. Used 3 coats and added non slip material (looks like very fine white sand) for the 3rd coat. Had some left and added more non skid material to put a 4th coat on the dovetail.

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
Posted elsewhere on this site about my being 77 also...just keep going as it beats all the alternatives.
I normally don't pay much attention to the coins in the change I receive and carry around, but the wheat back on this penny got my attention and then I took a closer look at the date. This penny and I are the same issue date -- both 77 years old now and still in acceptable shape. Maybe it is because of the quality materials, certainly not because of any lack of circulation or any other 'conservation effort'... Sorry for the crummy cell phone pictures, the coin actually looks better than this -- I don't. :ROFLMAO:
Coin Currency Wood Money Artifact
Chuck​

Nice looking trailer refinish, by the way...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts