Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty 1983 21P push mower that I bought in about 1990 for $5 at a farm show finally had the original Briggs die on it. I had a Harbor Freight Predator 173 CC that I bought for $99 on sale for another project and never used. Before and after pictures. Roger

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,481 Posts
Looks snazzy.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Nice Roger. Now you back in business!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope I can use it long enough to wear this engine out. Used it last night to trim the edges of the whole yard (about .9 acres) so it now has a couple of hours on it. Push the primer bulb 5 times and pull the starter once and it is running. Do not need the primer for restarts the same day. 5.5HP versus the old one 3.5 HP so it mows really well. Roger

·
Registered
113 Posts
How is the weight compared to the old engine?? I have an old Toro I can't bear to part with but I also cant see putting the time into the original engine that never ran real well. But it is not self propelled.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is a heavy mower anyway but I do not notice a weight difference between the original engine and the Predator when mowing with it. The heavy deck is probably what has made it survive this long. The one manual I have says the Predator is 38 pounds. Roger

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grant a book I have says the original Briggs was 40 pounds. On the Predator I did take off the flywheel brake. It was only 2 bolts and then added a wire to the coil on a 1/4 spade lug and use that with a push button ground on the handle for stopping. Roger

·
Registered
113 Posts
Grant a book I have says the original Briggs was 40 pounds. On the Predator I did take off the flywheel brake. It was only 2 bolts and then added a wire to the coil on a 1/4 spade lug and use that with a push button ground on the handle for stopping. Roger
Thanks for the info Roger. Hopefully I can get started on this project this weekend, my idea is to re-gift the mower back to my dad for use at his cottage, the Predator is now $125, oh well...

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you need one the are always $125 and if you don't they are on sale for $99. Off topic but I have one other HF powered push mower that had a Greyhound 173cc on a lawn Boy 10201 deck. In those days the engines were about $80 on sale. Roger

Attachments

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I had a JS63 I bought new. Used for many years. Twice decided to scrap it out but twice restored it. Last time I replace the recoil mounting hardware and wheel drive mechanisms. Advertised on CL ... sold in two days. Big mistake on my part.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought my JS 60 for $20 with the thought that it would need a new engine. The fellow I bought it from in Kenosha said he picked it up on trash pick up day near Lake Geneva. It was interesting as it had about half the bolts on the engine and its mounting missing and many other parts held on with flat head wood screws. Blower housing, air cleaner and so on. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Roger,

I have an old 21P that I'm trying to find a part for, the magneto. Do you know what model the original Briggs engine is? And/Or where to find parts for it?

Thanks for any help,
Chris

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is a Briggs I think 92508 but the number is on the front of the engine cover that the starter is part of. Right above the spark plug or muffler. If you use the mower model number 21P on JD parts it should get you an answer. I had a magneto but it was in the trash last Friday still on the engine. If you use the model number 92908 that is a newer engine that uses bolt on Magnetron (electronic) that by passes the points. I am surprised that you need a magneto as they almost never go bad. Flywheel keys do go bad and that kills the spark also. Good luck getting it running. Roger Roger

1 - 14 of 14 Posts