Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out what this is. Not a 165. Type code is T0650. Engine code says it's a 7hp Tecumseh, SBH-187. Only thing I can find on TractorData with a 7hp Tecumseh is the 70, and this doesn't look like that.
Tire Wheel Green Automotive tire Tread

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Combat vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Combat vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Fender

Wheel Green Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Green

Nature Font Grass Commemorative plaque Signage

Wood Rectangle Plant Font Grass

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found this in an older thread.

Grant Baker, thanks from the future. T0650 is a 112 from 66(?) (hard to see)

I guess it's been engine swapped? Maybe it's just the cover that was changed.

Font Wood Pattern Number Paper

· Registered
2,883 Posts
Ditto. I’ve never seen a 7 horse Tec with the studs for mounting a hydraulic lift setup.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. This was thrown in with the 317 that I picked up. It had that 165 hood on it, and I almost left it behind. I knew it would go to the scrap yard if I didn't take it, and I figured someone out there might have a 165 and need a parts machine. Then I took the hood off and saw the engine.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to try to source all the missing parts (about half the tractor I guess) or just offer it to someone else who already has a few 112s.

· Registered
651 Posts
SBH stands for Short Block Horizontal. SBH-187 is one of three different short blocks JD had designated as replacements (depending on SN range) for the HH100 (10HP). SBH-187 was Tecumseh PN 758128A, JD PN AM31742. Be advised, if the engine ignition coil is in good usable condition they typically fetch more than $100 on their own so I would not be quick to trash it. If the coil and/or engine is bad I would let it go for parts.

· Registered
762 Posts
Where are you located? There is a tractor boneyard with quite a few of those in Greenwich Ohio, Adam’s small engine.

Reactions: Engineer14

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abandon hope...Tejas is a barren land for these old GTs. Best bet is to find a semi derelict on CL or Faceslap Mrktplace. Sometimes they are disguised as boat anchors or yard art, but they do surface ocasionally.
I am seeing stuff on ebay that is not what I expected, but it's all local pickup. This feels like taunting.
Font Screenshot Rectangle Number Electric blue

· Registered
651 Posts
Fender pan shipping is problematic as they are oversized and would have to ship freight. Most sellers don't want to mess with them unless sold as pickup only. I have owned two 1968 112 tractors. One was a hydraulic lift that was too rusted out to consider for restoration but I saved the usable parts off of it. The second was a side tag manual lift which I still own and intend on eventually restoring (assuming I live long enough to ever get to it). I found the correct fender pan (the flat fender 112 up to SN 130K had a hole behind the seat pan where the transaxle filler tube mounted, later SN tractor pans did not have that), flat spoke steering wheel, hood and good used set of 4 vintage Firestone tires for it. I probably have over $500 into it for just those items alone (including shipping) and have yet to begin tearing into it. I am sorry to say that yours is missing even more than mine was and unless you can find a suitable parts donor the $ will add up quickly. Don't get me wrong, it kills me every time I have to part one out but sometimes it makes better sense to put resources (i.e, time, money & effort) into something else.

· Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fender pan shipping is problematic as they are oversized and would have to ship freight. Most sellers don't want to mess with them unless sold as pickup only. I have owned two 1968 112 tractors. One was a hydraulic lift that was too rusted out to consider for restoration but I saved the usable parts off of it. The second was a side tag manual lift which I still own and intend on eventually restoring (assuming I live long enough to ever get to it). I found the correct fender pan (the flat fender 112 up to SN 130K had a hole behind the seat pan where the transaxle filler tube mounted, later SN tractor pans did not have that), flat spoke steering wheel, hood and good used set of 4 vintage Firestone tires for it. I probably have over $500 into it for just those items alone (including shipping) and have yet to begin tearing into it. I am sorry to say that yours is missing even more than mine was and unless you can find a suitable parts donor the $ will add up quickly. Don't get me wrong, it kills me every time I have to part one out but sometimes it makes better sense to put resources (i.e, time, money & effort) into something else.
There is a T0650 (same as mine) SN 118199 for sale on FB in MN for $200. Looks nearly complete except for motor. Not that I'm planning on getting it, but I've seen enough available to be hopeful. I have enough work on other machines to fill several months before I get to this 112, but once I'm working on it, road trips with the family and picking up parts along the way aren't out of the question. Wife is always bugging me to travel anyway.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

· Registered
2,883 Posts
Bear in mind, when not looking for parts, they are plentiful.
When looking for parts, they are non-existent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts