Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just bought a 1976 214 with the k321
Motor has coil and condenser but no wiring harneess....... Is it possible to start it by battery ?
Or at least check for fire?
Thanks
Dub in Sprinkeburg

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Yes it is possible. You need to build a test harness (wiring for hooking up battery to the engine, starter & solenoid, ignition plus push button and a switch to kill the power the ignition)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
In that case, a jumper from the battery + terminal to the coil plus terminal, and a jumper from the
battery - terminal to the coil - terminal. Disconnect either wire to stop the engine if you do get it running.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Word of caution about using an impact wrench on the f/w nut or bolt to start an engine. The f/w could crack or the threaded end or bolt can twist off. It has happened, not to me, but someone very close to me.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
372 Posts
You would want to use a 1 hp drill the impact will overtighten the flywheel. Do you have another 100 or 200 series tractor ? if so it could be belted up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies
Okay here is what happened.
Connected from + battery to + post on coil.
From - battery to engine ground.
Neg post on coil went to points and condenser condenser was grounded to engine. I confirmed spark then used a 1/2" drill motor and a 15/16" socket. It ROARED TO LIFE.

Dub in sprinkleburg

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
An official JD wiring harness isn't too spendy and well worth the investment if you intend to keep and work that 214. Also not hard to make one using purchased wire.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts