Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the components from a 60 go into a 70 to make it a 2 speed?

Besides the different engine and 2 speed where there any other difference between the 2 tractors?

Looking at picking up a 60/70 some day for my son to drive around and figured having the option to put the trans in the low range would be good to start with. I see more 70's for sale than 60's and was wondering if the parts interchange.

·
Registered
617 Posts
There were many changes made throughout the evolution of the JD 60/70/100 lawn tractor line. The 2-speed transaxle drive setup being asked about was only used on the model 60 up through SN 20000 (i.e. 1966-68). While it may be possible to retrofit the parts necessary to convert a later series model to this configuration it likely would not be easy and it definitely would not be a direct swap. I recommend that you take a long hard look at Parts Catalogs 1007 & 1187 before starting down that path.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
My suggestion is to make up and install a wooden "gate" under the frame to block 2nd and 3rd gear for your son. This will be much easier and cheaper than trying to retrofit the two-speed option.

·
Banned
7 Posts
I agree with Stan's mod. I have a Deere 60 and have flipped back and forth on the gear choices. I have to say that the slower is way too slow for anything including teaching kids how to ride. Both my kids (when they were too young) learned gear shift on the 60 but I kept the higher option warning them not to use the final 3 shift. Made owning one all worth it. Be sure to take pics!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.