Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again all, first time back since I repowered my JD 318 w/Honda GX620. I also have an HRT216 Harmony PUSH MOWER that I use to cut smaller areas of the lawn and for trim work where the 318 can't maneuver. Pushing is also great for keeping this old power plant in shape too! The push mower has TWIN mulching blades...one blade over the other separated by about 1/4" between the two cutting areas of the blades. H calls this their "MicroCut System". These are an amazing grass cutting, engineering marvel. No matter the height of the grass, the cuttings /discharge are always reduced to a fine mulch that never clumps, and more importantly, decomposes quicker to get all the nitrogen back into the soil sooner. I would like to get similar mulching results from my 47" JD 318, 3-blade cutting deck. This just doesn't happen with any of the 3x16" blades I have (mulching, gator, etc.) on the 318. Does anyone know if there is anything out there that has a TWIN blade system that are 16" length? The shortest length currently available is 19.5 for the 21" H mowers. Or, do any of you 'tinkerers' out there want to give it a try...cutting and forming some blades that could get the same results? PS the 21st century blades are made from 'spring steel' and can be lighter; last longer than the old heavy and lugging JD blades. The ole Onan comes to mind. :thumb: Even 21" twin blades made of newer materials don't weigh as much as a single 16" JD replacement blade. I know, I sharpen often to cut my 1 acre lawn. I also think about how a lighter, more efficient blade system could affect the deck spindle bearings, belts, etc. Less wear and tear? I believe we could improve performance of the cutting system and get the same satisfaction as "repowering" the older JD models. My 318 with a newer power plant is the best thing I've done. Envy of the neighborhood. Thanks to all the help from members of this great forum, especially T.H.E. for working me through the re-power. 'Continuous Improvement' is what it's all about! Regards EdMc :usa:​

·
Registered
116 Posts
Could you take the twin blade off the Honda and shorten them? An inch and a half off the end of each blade might still leave you enough cutting edge?

What about simply adding a second Deere blade and a small spacer between them? That would push the second blade down but it may still work?

I love my Honda Harmony, it cuts like mad!

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
John Deere makes Model 44 deck that comes with twin blades on all 3 spindles. 2 blades per spindle or 6 blades total on the deck when you are mulching. The deck is called a Piranha 44 deck. I can measure tomorrow but they are about 16 inches long if you measure tip to tip kitty corner across the blade. I just went and measured and measuring straight mine are 15 3/4 and 16 corner to corner. Roger

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and recommendations. Can't cut the Honda blades. Too much cutting /sharpened area lost and all of the top blade lift angle lost. Also couldn't just add another JD blade because the single blade fits over a lip on the spindle. Lip is same thickness as blade. Spacer would need same configuration as spindle to accommodate different blade hole and bolt diameter. Took a look at the piranha set up. Looks like 2 blades 90[SUP]0[/SUP] offset on each of 3 'longer' spindles. A configuration on "My Tractor Forum" with Oregon gator blades (3x2) resulted in too much lift and unsatisfactory mulch /discharge. This arrangement isn't even close to the H MicroCut (also QuadraCut) configuration. I'm tinking 3 double blades are better than 6 blades of the same configuration. Who knows? Keep on searching.

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
You can also buy a Gator blade that fits the Piranha used as 3 single blades. I used them for a bit but they have to much lift and to much throw for my purposes. I do put them back on for leaves in the Fall. No more raking for me. Roger

1 - 5 of 5 Posts