Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help me out here. Have had this 70 for about a month now po had a different carb on it and it would only start at idle I found proper carb rebuilt it ( yes the little check ball rattles when shaken) got new governor links and spring and still having trouble to start. will only fire when at idle if I play with it and eventually am able to get more revs out of it as it warms up. seems to have lots of spark, and did a compression test tonight and has 100psi. Is there anything I`m missing. could it be valves or timing. could use some help... rebuilding is not an issue but I think with 100psi the rings are probably good

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 60 with a VH60 engine which is obviously not the same, but similar, I have the same problem.
I really only cold start mine from the choked position anyway, but when it's warm it should start close to idle.
Maybe if you enrich your idle mixture by backing out the idle adj. screw, it will help it start easier.
-JDB

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well engine back together engine runs great governor works as it should now. but still having starting problems. It will not start at full throttle, half throttle. or full throttle with choke. It will only start at idle position and takes a few tries to get it to keep running. Any suggestions ??

·
Registered
308 Posts
It is really a PITA on these engines to get to the ignition components, including a new head gasket and re-torqueing the head. Just to set points or timing. Admittedly, once right one very seldom has to check them again.

Steve the carb you rebuilt, was that the original Tecumseh carb? Where did you buy the kit from?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carb was original Got kit from a local JD dealer Can't remember if they had it in stock or had to order it.
Thanks Jesse for the manual. Hopefully going to tear back into it This weekend

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well that didn`t work. Set points gap to .020" it was at .025" then set timing to .085" BTDC which was at .060 BTDC with the .025" Points gap. Still the same hard starting issue maybe a little worse. Should have maybe changed points and condencer when I was in there but it runs so good when I get it started. not sure what to try next.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Steve a fellow with this problem in the last couple of months found when he pulled the bottom cover off the cam was out of time a couple of teeth. My VH70 is like yours and I have yet to get it right. Next things will be for me to put new rings into it. That is the only part that hasn't been replaced. Did you set the .020 of the points at the place where the gap was the widest? Roger

·
Registered
526 Posts
I solved the same issue by changing the sparkplug with champion plugs it just ran aweful I crossed referenced to A/C. Now you can just choke when cold when warm you can start with throttle set anywhere fast or slow just hit the key.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes gap set at widest point.
just took valves out and had them reground. Valve clearence was .006 at intake .012 exhaust. will set them bothe equal at about .007 or .008 and go from there.. will definately tru an a/c plug if this doesn`t work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Valves all re ground and gap set to .007" Still having the same issue with starting
Mitchell could you give me the AC Delco plug number you used I would like to try it. That's about the only thing left I have to try other than what roger said his next step it replacing rings

·
Registered
526 Posts
Steve
The AC Delco is #45 I have had good luck with them. Did you set the throttle plate to carb I know that in the book that you have to use a drill bit or pin the correct dia. it is critical on mine to get that right? And Steve these new plugs just are not the same as years ago I always pick up the new old stock I see at auctions I go to. And another thing I will chime in on now I set my timeing as close to TDC as I can I don't always go by the book. And on mine points are set at .018 . Other than that I would say if that don't fix it might still be a carb issue float level plugged vent hole I could go on and on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.