Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some excess "stuff" that I'm looking to sell off. If I go through that auction site it's going to cost me, both to list it and a part of the sale price.

With that in mind, and knowing that this site doesn't run for free and money is usually tight for those hosting these sites, I'm proposing a voluntary, 5% commission, be paid on sales made through this site. It's easy enough to do, the site already has a Paypal setup in place.

Anything I sell will see 5% donated to WFM. Opinions please. I will also throw out the challenge for others to do likewise. Possibly a cap on maximum commissions as there are some high dollar items going through here occasionally.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet the guys here would take a check. Just my opinion, of course, but it seems that a poor excuse is better than none at all.

Kinda reminds me of a story I once heard. Seems this couple were celebrating their 50th anniversary and had their two sons over for the evening. Neither one of the boys so much as brought a card. As the evening was drawing to a close Dad took the sons aside and confided in them. "Boys, I want you to know something that your Mother and I have kept secret. We were never actually married, we just chose a date and used that for our anniversary so nobody would think anything funny".

At which point one of the boys asked, "Dad, are you telling us we're bastards?"

To which the father replied, "Yes, and cheap ones too!"

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dont got checking either. Im only 15 and all I got is cash. Not much though. I have learned the hard way not to send cash in the mail. Will you guys here accept postal money orders? and who do I write it out to?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I proposed the idea, if it's not right for anyone for whatever reason, that's fine too. I figured it was a good way to do two things, help finance the site and say thanks for providing it. If your own circumstances make it difficult that's for you to determine. Myself, I feel it's only right to do a little something in return for the advertising privileges.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jim D,
WFM sponsors 2 Plow days a year, what else do ya want'um to do?
It is a joint type venture between ihcubcadet.com and WFM so to speak, but it's still a sponsorship.

Check it out, http://plowday.net/

They also do the registration for both PD's.

(Message edited by Digger on October 15, 2006)

·
Banned
393 Posts
Charlie,

Not as long as it is held on property owned/rented by cub cadet guys, and all the signs read Cub Cadet Plow Day!

I'll be looking for some WFM (read that green) signs at PD12!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Alan, I had planned to sell off something last year and send a donation to the site. Ended up keeping the item, so I didn't do it, but think it is a great idea.

Another site I am on requires 25 posts and 1 month of membership to use the classifieds. Keeps a lot of "one post wonders" from using the site solely for commercial gain. I would not object to a similar set-up here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do have to admit that I had a TON of fun here,
Weekend Freedom Machines Spring Break!!!
April 26, 2003
Menomonie, WI
Robb says you supply the ground, he'll supply the rolls or at least mini donuts!

Ya know guys, there is a way to solve this problem.
Some one with green blood has got to step up and say, Here I am, come plow with me! It's as simple as that and I promise you that the gesture would be more than welcomed by everyone.

There's ONE reason that Steve B. & Travis keep having the events.
NO ONE ELSE WILL!

I'm gonna get flamed over this and it's not aimed at anyone that's posted and not meant to be smart a$$ed either.

Put up or shut up is the statement that comes to mind, LOL
So lets do some green dirt, I'm sure everyone else is ready

A good example. I've got a 80 acre field 20 feet from a paved parking lot, right across the street from an eatin place and within 2 blocks of a super nice brand new motel and 3 blocks from a Kwik Trip that's just itchin to get plowed, BUT, no one wants to come this far north AGAIN!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am going to stop this one right here.

WFM hosted three Spring Breaks. Menomonie in 2002 and 2003, and Grand Meadow MN in 2004. It is a hell of a lot of work. Mike and I don't own any ground, so we had to beg for that, and then try to set up the food, parking, plowing lanes etc on someone else's ground.
Jim, how would you like it if I showed up at your place and said "Now, you can plow... but this is my event."
Mike and I did it the best we could, and I think many will tell you that they were great events...
But the bottom line is, WFM (Mike and I and a cast of other characters) run the best •••• John Deere Garden Tractor website and that is what we do. We have always promoted or sponsored other plow days, and we use money that comes from sponsors and donators to provide door prizes and food for the events.

But Mike and I are in the website business, not the plow day business. And to get back to how this thread started... It takes money to do that as well. Mike is looking at making substantial changes to the architecture of the site, and I am looking to do a major refresh to the Model Info area and add even more historical content... and you boys continue to download more than a gig of data from the site every month.

Give to the site because you find it worthwhile. Because you want to see it continue without pop up ads and the like. Or don't donate. It is called free will. Here is a PayPal link. If you don't use paypal, drop me a note at [email protected]

Thank you for your support.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Ok, so we aren't cut off????

Robb,

Thank you for coming out on this topic. I want to support this sight in other ways besides sendin money!! It is the best sight on the web as far as I am concerned.

You and Mike rarely post, but when you do it's worth while! Not like I see across the street where one person makes every other post!

If I had the type of ground needed then I would welcome WFM sponsorship of a Plow Day.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my opinion, when money starts getting discussed people get offended in a hurry.

I was a member of another tractor site (not green or yellow) when it was free and then they decided to incorporate, elect officers, and charge members $10 to continue to be a full access member and stripped those of access to key info that did not pay. I paid my first year's dues, but after that the politics and such got so bad I just got tired of reading about it all and just stopped participating on that site. The same thing has happened on a truck forum I used to frequent. Also these sites I'm referring to would not tolerate anyone talking about a bad experience with a sponsor or their product, their posts would be deleted and/or the mods would come in and change it, kissing their sponsor's hind quarters in the edited post. All of this arose when the idea of set dues/membership fees came up, before that, there was no problems. Obviously this site is not considering that idea, so that is not something to be worried about. I used those as an example to show why discussion of set money, whether voluntary or involuntary is inappropriate in this environment.

Let me say, out of all the forums I've participated in, including non-tractor sites, this one is the best overall. I like that it is not structured like a club, there's no pecking order, no politics, and here everyone can act as individuals without regard as to what other people may think, because at least from what I've seen here, everyone knows how to engage in civilized conversation and people know when to be serious and when to be candid.

So at least from my experience, if someone feels the need to donate, please do so, if not, you don't have to.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In regards to a plow day--I have access to right at 300 acres down here in NC that is just dying to host a plow day in the near future....freshly pulled tobacco fields, cut corn fields, some fescue currently all with red clay that will give even the biggest 430 a run for its money....

(Message edited by deerepower235 on October 16, 2006)

·
Registered
15 Posts
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!>quote:[/COLOR]<p>Let me say, out of all the forums I've participated in, including non-tractor sites, this one is the best overall. I like that it is not structured like a club, there's no pecking order, no politics, and here everyone can act as individuals without regard as to what other people may think, because at least from what I've seen here, everyone knows how to engage in civilized conversation and people know when to be serious and when to be candid.<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

WELL SAID!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Look everyone! I came out!

Seriously. Jim, I thought you and I talked about this down at Travis Schweitzer's place. you don't need to call me out. Just drop me an email.

You know...this is a club... at least it is becoming more and more like that each year. But I doubt we will ever have elected officers and such. Gone are the days that Mike and I chat to figure out what to post so that others will start posting. I do remember when it was Mike or I every other post.

Now, 2800 people visit the site daily. The board has over 70000 posts on it. I can't keep up reading it all. And if you guys weren't such a great group... there would be no way to keep up with moderating. I just try to post once in a while so you guys don't forget who I am.

I don't think you will ever see WFm get to the point where we have to charge "dues". We manage to keep it all going through the sponsors, and the occasional donation from well intentioned members. Most of you support the site by just posting, and keeping the riff raff at bay. That's just fine with me. Trust me, if we are ever short of cash and are thinking about closing the doors, Mike and I will let all of you know.

Maxwell, I was a member of that other site for a while as well, even paid my $10 for a couple of years. Finally, I let it drop. Heck, I can't keep up with this site!

Oh, and just for the record. Thank you to all of you that have sent a "donation". I am sure Mike and I will enjoy it sitting in his garage...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts