Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Getting a fancy for a 430, added this to the "needle in a haystack".
Wanted to buy a nice original low hour (less than 900 hours) John Deere 420 or 430 garden tractor. 1990 model year or newer. I placed several WTB ads on CL but decided to post an ad here. Prefer model 50 mower deck but 60 is acceptable. Again, looking for something that is original with good maintenance history. Not looking for a restoration project. My saying is "they are only original once". I know this may be a "needle in a haystack" but worth a try. Of course the other caveat is "reasonably priced" (no dreamers). But let's see what crops up and then go from there. Any leads would be appreciated.

I am located near Altoona, PA but willing to travel for the "right" item.

Send me a PM if you have or know of one for sale. Thanks!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Still looking but no tractors for sale or leads. Daily I search JD Machinefinder and CL in various areas throughout the USA. Talking to a friend about posting an ad on FB.
Again, any leads would be appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
One on FB near lenoxville, pa. Around 850 hrs. Mower deck and plow. Asking $5500.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I get the impression farmer is looking for the golden unicorn. Low hours, looks good, priced affordable. Better get in line for that one.

Reactions: jetjoe and farmer52

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I get the impression farmer is looking for the golden unicorn. Low hours, looks good, priced affordable. Better get in line for that one.
Yeppers! I will settle for just a unicorn, does not need to be golden. Still upset about the one that sold recently. If there was one there might be another hiding somewhere.

One on FB near lenoxville, pa. Around 850 hrs. Mower deck and plow. Asking $5500.
Don't have a FB account but followed the link and did a search for John Deere 420. There is one in Greencastle, PA. Is that the one? If so, I am not interested. Also searched for John Deere 430. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Yeppers! I will settle for just a unicorn, does not need to be golden. Still upset about the one that sold recently. If there was one there might be another hiding somewhere.

Don't have a FB account but followed the link and did a search for John Deere 420. There is one in Greencastle, PA. Is that the one? If so, I am not interested. Also searched for John Deere 430. Thanks for the help.
This off I-81 north of Scranton,PA. Way north of green castle. Let me see if I can screenshot ad.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
@farmer52
Screenshots
Hopefully you know someone with FB. I did not see it on CL for Scranton area.

Attachments

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thanks for the information. I searched FB for "john deere 430 mower" within 100 miles of Scranton, PA and not listed. Guess it is sold or removed.
Its still on my search. Try "John Deere 430".
There's another one on there that came up too that's closer to me. It has 1100+ hours and has tilt bagger. Supposedly rebuilt a while ago. That's in dingmans ferry, pa.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No luck. I tried "John Deere 430" and did not react. I changed to "john deere 430" and the one in Dingmans Ferry showed (which I saw preciously). I searched within 60 miles of Scranton, PA.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Could just PM him the link, marketplace doesn’t require an account to view (and if interested can then send it to some who does have Facebook or create an account)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Could just PM him the link, marketplace doesn’t require an account to view (and if interested can then send it to some who does have Facebook or create an account)
Did not realize that. Thanks.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you post the link to the actual ad? The link you posted is for the FB home page. I try searching from there and don't see the 430 you see. I change the location to Scranton, PA and search within 100 and 500 miles and nothing. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
May have to hit the share button and copy a link, copying the address bar doesn’t seem to really work.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
May have to hit the share button and copy a link, copying the address bar doesn’t seem to really work.
I did that and it's not working for some reason. I pm him with my info so maybe can work around it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have two (2) posts listed on CL - Harrisburg PA and Altoona PA. I also placed a listing on Akron-Canton OH CL. The Canton listing was flagged and removed. Gotta love CL. Seems legit ads are flagged and deleted but SPAM is left alone! Grrrr!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Received a lead on a VERY LOW hour ORIGINAL 430 with 44 loader, 3pt, PTO, and deck in pristine condition. But the selling price is high IMO (~$8000)! Interested but the price....o_O

Thoughts/opinions?

Mods - if this should be posted elsewhere please advise or move. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
That is a lot of money. Brake down each item per sold individually cost and add up to see if price is realistic. Does not sound realistic to me unless this is a very low hour brand new looking/running well maintained machine. Parts are getting long in the tooth for these older deeres so how long will it take to get it up and running again should it brake down?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is a lot of money. Brake down each item per sold individually cost and add up to see if price is realistic. Does not sound realistic to me unless this is a very low hour brand new looking/running well maintained machine. Parts are getting long in the tooth for these older deeres so how long will it take to get it up and running again should it brake down?
Thanks for the reply. Needed a "reality" check. I agree. A lot of money for a 30 year old tractor. Add a few more dollars and get a nice used late model X700 series.

I don't need the loader, 3pt, nor PTO, just a machine for rough mowing and as a backup.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.