Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
You know there are people who might be interested in those other attchments. You could always relist and sell any unwanted attachments here or other tractor forums or Craig’s list or OfferUp or ebay or or or...
I thought about that but no guanatee on the return. I been down that road before and usually barely break even. I would rather negotiate for I want and leave the remainder to the seller. He/she can try to recoup their money.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I could easily turn a 330 into a 332. I'd be all over a fair to good priced 330

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
Asking price for the 330 was $1700

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
There must have been one hell of a dealer somewhere in Pennsylvania back then. There are always tractors for sale from that area. But I think this post will get a lot longer until you find one that satisfies you. The price of a good one will be high and yes you are confronted with the age and lack of parts. So be prepared to keep spending money long after you find that one in a million cheap 430. I know as my 420 is draining my pocket quickly and "good" used parts are hard to find. Most new parts are NLA. I'm preparing myself to take a good bath when the time comes to sell it.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Preparing for taking a good bath when you sell huh? That’s a new expression to me but sounds right along the lines of getting hosed on the deal :p

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Preparing for taking a good bath when you sell huh? That’s a new expression to me but sounds right along the lines of getting hosed on the deal :p
I never made a buck on one yet, so why should I now. Just a lot of satisfaction. But that being said, it's tough to sell these things after putting so much time into them. Especially when the tire kickers come along and start nit-picking it, most often with empty pockets. Stating the obvious, "it's an old tractor", or "its a nice machine, would you consider a bag of peanuts for it?" like they didn't know the answer before they answered the ad. It's the part of this hobby I don't much care for and likely the reason this one will be the last.

That's why it trips my trigger to read on these sites of somebody "scoring" or "couldn't pass up what this old widow had", want or bought a mint machine for a few bucks, etc. Things like that. When somebody asks if I'm firm on my price, I always reply, bring along what I'm asking we'll deal from there. It's nearly always the last you hear from them. In my mind, a good deal is a good deal for both parties. But if somebody has to "get hosed", I prefer it's me who "takes the bath". At least that way you don't have to worry about getting it back after buyers remorse sets in. Usually.

Getting too old to deal with it and I don't want to leave my kids with disposing of a shed full of old green and yellow gadgets. NO, I'm not depressed today!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Now now here here. Let’s keep it chipper today. Sell if you must and have fun along the way ;)

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
What else would we be doing with all our time if we weren't fiddling with these?

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
What else would we be doing with all our time if we weren't fiddling with these?
Ya, that did sound a little depressing. I love the fiddling with these things and the fine company you folks provide. But when finished, then what? I had the same problem with boats and airplanes. I enjoy flying, but I never enjoyed having two or three of them around. They're expensive and take up a lot of space. I enjoy boating. As long as the boat belongs to somebody else. But last year, there one was taking up all the space in my garage. It kept me busy over the winter rebuilding it and it was something different to me. Lost money again. I don't mind cutting grass, but you only need one machine to do that. No need for a herd of them. But to some, that's what turns them on and that's OK. I'm not much of a collector of anything.

But, I'm sitting here with five computers and four "smart" phones within arms reach, none of them worked when I bought em. I don't think I ever purchased a new computer. This one is at least ten years old. At least the case is. I spent five hours last night trying to make them all talk to each other. Something they once did until MS decided to bring out Win 11. If anybody thinks there's not much difference in the new version, just wait. It's a great hobby as they always present a new challenge. My problem is I usually have little or no use for anything I just finished.

I apologize to "Farmer52" but I think his post sort of set me off. It just reminded me of all of those past sales and what's to come. Looking for that perfect machine is fine. Expecting somebody to meet your idea of what it's worth? That's another story. I hope you find that machine but I also hope you are fair to whoever is selling it. A good deal is when both the buyer and seller are happy.

Ok, I'm Chipper again. that's funny because that was my nickname when I was a little tyke. I guess it didn't fit anymore so they stopped using it. :)

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
I have a boat, have had a few others before it, and remember reading a quote somewhere along the line, it goes like this..'The two happiest days for a boat owner are the day they bought it, and the day they sold it'. That's a classic! Still makes me chuckle.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
You are preaching to the choir concerning old equipment and parts availability. Have you heard of Cockshutt? They went out of production in 1962. Try stopping at your local AGCO dealer and buying replacement parts (lucky if you can find filters). Same with my JD 730 tractor. Better chance of finding parts for the 730 but parts are limited too. I have many older tractors and equipment and spend much time looking for replacement parts. My reason for looking for a low hour machine is a better chance of lasting without the parts search. There are no guarantees in life and buying used equipment is no different. I am not a rookie. I am not into restoration. My list of nice original items is long as is my parts inventory. I can't take them with me but I will enjoy them while I am still sucking air!

And I am willing to pay a price that is fair to the seller and me. Sorry for the post asking about the worth of the 430. I have not seen very many 430s and have no idea of their value. I will not post anymore worth/value questions. MOF I will request that this tread be closed/deleted.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
You are preaching to the choir concerning old equipment and parts availability. Have you heard of Cockshutt? They went out of production in 1962. Try stopping at your local AGCO dealer and buying replacement parts (lucky if you can find filters). Same with my JD 730 tractor. Better chance of finding parts for the 730 but parts are limited too. I have many older tractors and equipment and spend much time looking for replacement parts. My reason for looking for a low hour machine is a better chance of lasting without the parts search. There are no guarantees in life and buying used equipment is no different. I am not a rookie. I am not into restoration. My list of nice original items is long as is my parts inventory. I can't take them with me but I will enjoy them while I am still sucking air!

And I am willing to pay a price that is fair to the seller and me. Sorry for the post asking about the worth of the 430. I have not seen very many 430s and have no idea of their value. I will not post anymore worth/value questions. MOF I will request that this tread be closed/deleted.
First step is finding a dealer that sells Agco stuff…

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.