Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deereheads;
I never had a bagger system for my early 1969 140H3.
It has a 48" deck with the two rear gage wheels and the wide front central roller. There is a bagger and powerflow up for grabs on eBay that he used on his 318 for that size deck. I asked him and would like a second opinion. Will most baggers fit an old 48' deck if their bracket slips into the shoe that's mounted to the back of the hitch?
Will the chutes mount if they were off a 318 tractor? Thanks for any input
Stephen

·
Banned
461 Posts
Stephen - 48" deck? That would be a replacement deck, which could be on a 318. Are you sure you don't have a 46" deck? I'm not up on all the deck variations, but the blower boot from a 48" deck will not fit a 46" deck. So you need to be sure on the deck size. The mounting post from a 318 would most likely require some adaptation to fit a 140. You may have to either modify the bracket or make a new one. The hopper canopy and bag setup would work. The chute on the 318 is cut off to a marked line from the original length. Can't say whether or not it would be long enough, but chances are it might be a tad bit too long, which would be o.k. I don't know if the bagger system was ever available for the 140. The parts manual I have does not list any components for a 140, so my guess is you'd have to design, modify, and build some special parts. - Dave

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now you've got me, Dave. The deck is in my bike trailer under a tarp buried under a foot of snow.
It could be the 46" deck. I never actually measured but now I will have to. It is a triple blade setup, but I guess that's why I took it to be the 48". If no bag was ever available for a 140, then it looks like fabrication time anyway. If the chute were trimmed to fit the 318's 48" deck, then wouldn't it be too short for the 46?
Stephen

·
Banned
461 Posts
Stephen - It's possible, and more likely, that the 318 would have a 46" deck. From your description of your deck, I'm pretty sure you don't have a 48" replacement deck, which would have gage wheels on all four corners plus the front center roller.

If the 318 does have the replacement 48" deck, there is little chance of adapting the blower boot to a 46" deck. As far as the chute goes, I'm guessing even though it would have been shortened for the 318, it would probably need to be further shortened to work on a 140. - Dave

·
Registered
144 Posts
I might be wrong, but I thought the shells on the 46 and 48 in. decks where pretty similar, except maybe the gauge wheels. The 140 I sold my Dad had the following setup when I bought it.
They are kind of hard to see, but the powerflo mounts are on the left inside the chute, and one on the right by the gauge wheel.

This mount is on the back of the tractor, with two bolts.

Here's the best picture I have of how it is bolted up. The two bottom holes are bolted with the hitch holes and then a third bolt at the top center.

That's all I can post now, its a 48" deck , and can give part numbers later is needed.
Rob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Stephen,

I bought a bagger for my 318 a few weeks ago, but it has the wrong post and mounting plate. It was mounted on a 314, which I think is the same as the one you need for your 140. If you do get the bagger and want some pictures of my post and plate I will be glad to send them to you, or if you would like to trade the post and mounting plate that you get for the one I have let me know. I think everything else for the bagger is the same. My email is [email protected]

Doug

·
Registered
400 Posts
Has the rear cover been off lately ?
There are 2 O rings in the cover that are crucial to the proper flow of fluid and torque output.
Also I know you most likely have but are fluids up to operating level ?

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your response Scott, and no the cover has not been off since i owned it. I am thinking it might be the PTO Solenoid, i had it off yesterday and when i put it back together the PTO doesn't engage at all

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the help with my pto problem. I finally diagnosed the problem myself. I replaced the switch and figured out how to replace the pto shaft seal. I have a problem with throttle and governor arm spring, but I will figure that out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.