Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The basic shell is the same as the 46" deck made for a 212, but the brackets and drive are different. It is possible but would take a lot of work to make it fit.

There is a 3 blade 46" deck made for a 212 - 216. The 46" 3 blade decks for a square fender 110 - 112 might be direct fit as well.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
From JD Parts:
200series-mowers.jpg

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
The deck shown in the ebay ad is for Deere 180/185 tractors which is next generation after the single cylinder, horizontal shaft Kohler engines. These tractors (180/185) have a single cylinder vertical shaft Kawasaki engine. With the vertical shaft engine there is no longer a need for a mule drive to drive PTO off the front of the engine. The PTO is under the engine and uses a much shorter belt. I'm sure the deck is not intended to be used on a 212 but I'm sure someone has figured out how to cobble one on these older tractors ... Gabby

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Would it be the deck in John's post #3 below the highlighted one?

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Well not sure...hence the question. Could be but I am no expert. Perhaps others will know.
I was just over in my storage unit where I have 4 decks leaning against the wall. I didn't get a photo but can if requested when I put the X485 away tonight.

Decks are:
To the best of my knowledge 300 series decks are interchangeable between closed frame (120/140 included) and open frame by simply changing the draft arms. Closed frame have spring latch on the tractor, open frame latch is on the draft arms. All use a mule drive that drives off front of engine that is on the front of the tractor.

200 series decks drive off a pto that is also on the front of the engine but the front of the engine is on the right side of the tractor. It does not use a mule drive. The center (drive) spindle is located toward the rear of the deck whereas 300 series is toward front. The shells appear to be similar and may mount up using different draft arms but you would need to deal with belt lengths and drive arrangements. A problem is if we say no, the decks are not interchangeable someone is going to say but I put one on my tractor. They however do not tell you it cost them $400 and took 3 years to get it mounted so I challenge anyone who says they did it to tell us how they did it so it can be included in FAQ section of this site. The bottom line is Deere did not intend for the 4X" decks to be interchangeable.

I have no experience with 38" decks so will not comment ... Gabby

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input, appreciate it. Have since learned the deck in the 2nd link I posted came off a 214, so it is for 200-series machines but can be modified to fit some 300-series machines. I'm hoping he has a bagger too...keep your fingers crossed for me. Thanks again.

tWM

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Here is a 38 2 blade deck setup for open frame 300 series.

I think the width of the lift points and maybe the arm length is different.

On a 200 series the lift straps are about 10" apart. On a 318 they are 14" roughy as they are on the outside of the frame. Closed frame and 200 series lift arms are inside the frame rails.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So a deck like the one above would not fit a 200-series machine, as pictured? The draft/lift arm spacing is different...so these lift arms would be too wide for a 200-series tractor?

·
Premium Member
7,563 Posts
Here is 200 series setup. I circled the lift attachment points. I'm not sure if mine had holes or not. I sold it and the 316 yesterday.

You can see the draft arms are very different. That's due to this picture being and earlier version. The 200 series arms look similar to the 300 series ones but are different part numbers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've adapted a M00665 38" deck to fit a 200 series. I used the early 200 series draft arms to mount it. IIRC, the later 200 draft links accommodate the double pulley for the blower attachment, and they're not prone to being bent as easily as the early ones. The double stack drive pulley maybe a little taller than my original deck, a M00664. I can't remember if I've changed out the drive pulley. I've been mowing with it for years now, and will be out tomorrow chopping leaves with it mounted on one of my 110's. Pulley height and draft arm length are what you have to watch for. The lift links should be the same. I've gathered a collection of decks over the years and each have their own front draft plate, so I don't have to spend a lot of time adjusting the front to back tilt.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, the seller of the second deck/link that I posted assures me the deck came off a 214 and he has a bagger to go with it & decent shipping price so I'm going to take a chance on it. Now another Q: will the PTO to deck belt on my 3-blade deck fit the 200/300 deck shown in ed's top picture above, or will it need a different JD belt?

·
Registered
91 Posts
My 212 with a 38" 2 blade deck takes belt # M47766 which I believe is the same number that the 39 3 blade deck takes. The 46 3 blade takes a different number.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Deere PC157 lists the following as primary belts for "38-inch" deck. Closed frame tractors (120, 140, 3xx) are not listed in this catalog thus implying deck is not interchangeable with those tractors. Closed frame tractors would then utilize the model 41 deck.

Jacksheave and belts (deck sn -555000)

• M47766 ... 200's
  • M89090 ... 316/318
  • M89111 ... 330
JACKSHEAVE AND BELTS (SN 555001-999000, 010001- )
JACKSHEAVE AND BELTS (SN 555001-999000, 010001) (CONTINUED)

• M47766 (SUB FOR M72493) ... 200's
  • M71729 ... 316/318
  • M71730 ... 322/330/332

1 - 20 of 26 Posts