Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
I believe it was the 4x5 series. The 425 has a standard gas carbureted engine, the 445 is fuel injected and the 455 is diesel. I believe the 4x5 series replaced all the 300 and 400 series tractors. The first 4x5 was introduced in 1993.

Jim A.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
You guy's forgot about the intertrim model 320, as the 325-355 tractors were a year or two after the 318. As for feature for feature replacement (shaft drive hydro, multi spool hydraulics with outlets, 3pt hitch, rear PTO, etc.), then yes, I would consider the 425-455 the true replacement.

Kent

·
Registered
792 Posts
If a tractor has a vertical shaft engine, I don't consider it on a par with a 318, 420, 330, 430 or whatever. I just don't think vertical shaft engines belong in "tractors"! They're fine for push mowers. I am also a strong believer in a drive shaft driven hydro.
I have a 425 AWS and I love the water cooled Kawasaki engine. It has all the attributes of a 318 or a 420 except it is somewhat larger and has a foot controlled hydro rather than the lever. It also uses a shaft drive deck like the 420. I still have 3 - 318's besides the 425 and I love them all and am not thinking of getting rid of any of them! I agree with Andre that nothing will replace a 318 but I can also say the same for the 4x5 series.

Jim A.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I agree with Georg. The 318 was a distinctly smaller animal than the 420, much as the 3XX are to the 4XX. I think the shaft drive business is a red herring. When the 318 was being designed, there were no heavy duty belt drive hydro units, and high quality high power vertical shaft engines were not really available either. After all, the 3XX IS a garden tractor, and not a lawn tractor.
As an aside, it is interesting that JD is trying to pull away some of the smaller compact utility tractor business with the X series 4WD units.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Jay, the later 3 series was much lighter duty. Thinner frame, and closed, no available 3-point.
If you think heavy duty belt drives werent around, what about what they used in the old 110s? Those were/are pretty stout. Its not like its new technology on the belt drive hydros.

Deere may have intended the newer 3 series to replace the old 3 series, and in that case, I belive you are right about the 3 series.
But feature for feature, you have to go up to the 4 series to even compete with the functionality of the 318.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Guy's. My thoughts have always been this, the 318 was way over-engineered for what 90% of the people used it for, just cutting grass and possibly putting a front blade or snowthrower on for snow duty. In that respect, the later 345 style of tractor is good for things such as that, but no more. The 318 could have a loader & 3pt hitch to do serious ground engaging, which the 345 does not have nearly a strong enough frame for. So, in my opinion, when JD came out with the 345, they just made a tractor more in tune with it's actual use. Now, do us "tractor" guys like the fact they down engineered it? No, but it probably made economic sense to JD. Even though I wasn't "into" L&G back then, I know I was quite dissappointed when I saw the first 345 and saw the downshaft engine, belt drive hydro, stamped frame, no loader/3pt option, etc.

Kent

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
My 445 has both engine side panels crack. It's not the inner mesh insert, but the plastic surrounding that insert. My question is this. Can I just buy the outer surround, items 8 & 9 below, and just put in my inserts, items 3 & 7?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have a new in the boxes a set of left and right,
No screens just panels.
I will sell for what I paid plus shipping
I paid $250.00 for both panels
I paid $52.00 for decals for a 1996
I paid $50.00 for shipping

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
I can buy the side panels from greenfarmparts.com with my GTT discount for a lot less than retail. And free shipping. I just want to be sure I can do what I think I can do.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Terry, have you though about just fixing the panels you have? Sent you an email about repairing them.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Terry, a comment in the owner's manual regarding not removing the mesh panels makes me think the little tab thingies tend to break off when you bend them to remove and reinstall in the plastic pieces. I guess you could try it - if they break and you need to buy new screens, well, you'd have to do that anyway if you didn't try.

I'd be interested to see how you make out - I'd like to take mine out for a strip and repaint as they're kind of scrungy.

Tim

·
Registered
158 Posts
You can buy the mesh screen and the outer panel separate. John deere dealers on ebay have them. I replaced my outer panels when I got my 425 and used the inner mesh screen from the old ones. But like was said before, be careful with the tabs not to bend them too much or they will break.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.