Weekend Freedom Machines banner

2001 - 2020 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Hope you are well-stocked with bear spray and ammo...I favor the BBD12 security system, used it successfully for decades. Big Brown Dog & 12 ga. Has never let me down...in the country or in town.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I thought I commented on that 332. Guess not. Gettin old and things are foggin up.

I really like that loader and tractor combo Skwirl.. Looks like a new one and there's lots of stuff I could use it for. It would be very welcome in anybody's herd.

On to switching the drive tires. Got the 332 set up with the drives and wheel weights. Started the diesel up and let her warm up a bit. Took her out and moved some snow. Seems to work very well.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Behold.. the spacer pads that whoever did the install welded on the the existing engine base. The right one is angled out at the front but the holes to bolt the engine down are straight front to back. The whole tractor is actually an example of willy-nilly-ness. Combine that with the 420's design differences from a 400 and this project is pretty interesting so far.

Murphy's Law strikes again. I can't get my 9/16 wrench out after using it to stop the engine bolt on that corner from turning. After the nut was off the bolt slipped down and the box end of the wrench is trapped now. Can't get to the bolt to move it up enough to get the wrench out and even if I could it would still have to be turned so the bolt head lines up with the wrench. I'll get it out when I pull the front axle to deal with a seized up adjustment bolt. In the meantime I will enjoy the status of owning the only 420 with a wrench mod.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Like that mod alot...almost as much as the baling wire mods my granddad used to put on his various and sundried farm equipment...never knew what you were gonna find.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Nice work Dutch. What are the little bowtie things? Are you a Chevy guy? :D

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I did nothing at all in the shop since Christmas Eve day except rummage through my plumbing parts to find a tailpiece for our laundry tub drain. Luckily I had one. We're in lockdown now so stuff like that will have to be ordered online for a while and Amazon said between 3 days and 3 weeks for delivery. I ordered one for a spare. One thing I've learned over the years is the best way not to need something is to already have one.

How's that big screen working out Grant?

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
485 Posts
Lol, not really a chevy guy, although I do drive one! They are there to stop a big ol crack in that board from spreading further when the wood expands and contracts. I didn't have a lot of this material so I had to use the board with a crack in it. It adds character! Haha

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
It likely does add character. We have 100 year old oak flooring in most of our house and the guy that stripped, sanded and re-varnished it all for us said people will pay more for reclaimed flooring if there's wormholes in it.

Lol, not really a chevy guy, although I do drive one! They are there to stop a big ol crack in that board from spreading further when the wood expands and contracts. I didn't have a lot of this material so I had to use the board with a crack in it. It adds character! Haha

·
Super Moderator
3,693 Posts
I put eight small bearings in a handicap walker for my wife's sister. I don't believe she really needs the walker but her fear of falling overrides all that. It is a pain taking her anywhere.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
485 Posts

Another weekend in the woodshop. This time on a set of cornhole boards for a coworker. He wanted a "serious" set that would not bounce the bags. Well, these are 1 inch thick top grade plywood tops (I laminated 2 half inch peices together) with 1.5x3 heart pine bases left over from the table build. They weigh entirely too much and are entirely overbuilt. But the bags certainly will not bounce. Exactly how he wanted them haha!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks nice. I’m guilty to of wanting a set that didn’t bounce. Way over built mine as well.
D4734DE5-5A1F-4496-80EB-77B5CDC734F3.jpeg

True Deere fan here. I used the decal from the rear of a combine, then added 3 coats of polyurethane to protect it from use. They have held up well. I went to the trouble of using sheet rock mud to fill all imperfections before painting.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I have been lazy for two days. Weekend is over so going back rural property to work on interior wall sheathing. Friday I have haircut appoint so probably spent rest of the day working on the 318. Need to get H3 conversion finished. Just planning my week ... Gabby

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I cautiously googled that Dutch.. Looks like a fun game (y)

I am not a cornhole player so the bounce thing made no sense to me until he explained it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
They don’t have cornhole in Canada Army?
You’re missing out.

·
Registered
1989 318
174 Posts
Where I am from, we do not call it 'Cornhole', we call it 'Bags'. Cornhole just sounds a bit gross! A similar game, more appropriate for our gear-head nature, is the game of 'Washers'. Identical in style except we toss washers instead of bags. I think it was developed at car race tracks to while the time away. We use heavy washers maybe 2" diameter. The trick is to spin the washers so they fly flat and land flat. The board will typically have carpet on it to deaden the bounce.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks for the compliment on the bowties! They sure do work well for stopping cracks from getting worse. As for who patent it, your guess is as good as mine! They have been around for at least a few hundred years probably much longer.. Traditionally they are called a dutchman (odd, considering my username) joint. I have seen them in some late 1800s furniture peices ive had come through my shop.

Cornhole is deffinently an odd name! I didn't even know it existed until the guys at work told me about it.

2001 - 2020 of 2063 Posts