Weekend Freedom Machines banner

2041 - 2060 of 2063 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
On my 90 F150 the cutoff valve in the front tank/pump would fail and the return fuel line from the fuel injected engine would pump return fuel into the rear tank...you'd be driving down the road, glance in your driver's side mirror and see a trail of gas coming from that tank...or people honking at you. Very annoying to say the least, but easy to fix except for the price of the pumps.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Yah I'd be pulling the box off too. There's 6 bed bolts on my Rangers. I can have the box off my little '93 Splash pretty quick. I originally pulled it off to install a new fuel pump. One bed bolts broke so I replaced it and cleaned them all up and lubed them slavishly so they aren't an issue anymore. Just gotta disconnect the taillights, zip the bed bolts out and disconnect the gas filler tube. I usually have it on the truck so it's out of the way but if I need to do something on my '96 Splash project from the topside I can have the box off in about 5 minutes. The bed bolts are always out, the taillights aren't connected and the gas tank and filler hose are off. I also have straps in the box that are left hooked to the tie downs and adjusted so they lift evenly. Not a very good pic but it's the only one I have that shows the box coming off. I use my 800 with the 3 pt boom if I want to put it outside but my cherry picker also works if I roll the truck out from under it. So do the hoist arms.

Reactions: DEERE317 and lt230s

·
Registered
351 Posts
Fuel pumps... LOL. I drive a TDI (VW). It has 3 fuel pumps. An electric "lift pump" in the tank (It has an access panel-LOL), then the fuel moves under the hood to a tandem pump (This ups the fuel pressure and is the vacuum source-hence tandem), then the injectors are what are called PD or pumpe duse, they are the final pressurization, and can inject diesel at up to 30000 psi.

I have replaced the 2 pumps and had the injectors serviced. The pumps are ~$200 each and it's around $1100 for the injector work. New replacement injectors are ~$500 each. Oh, and they run off the cam and require a bunch of one time use bolts...

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Army, that is one clean truck underneath.
It's been oiled it's whole life, which is why I switched to using it instead of the '93 Splash for the 5.0 transplant. The '93 needs cab corners but the bottom side is pretty good. The '96 is in amazing shape though. It has low miles on it and the interior and seats are literally like new. Not a mark on anything. The little old Italian fella I got it from bought it new and babied it. He actually got a bit weepy as I was leaving with it. Might have been because I told him what I was gonna do to it. :oops: :D

There was some minor pitting in behind and above the gas tank that the oil didn't get to very well. Also some where the spare tire and receiver hitch were in the way, but the frame is generally mint. So is the cab and the front end. There wasn't much original factory paint sticking to the metal anymore so I cleaned it all up and shot some satin black on it. It's gonna be my daily driver in the good weather and I plan to keep it oiled when I start using it. Not gonna use anything gooey or waxy. Just regular oil that I can clean off easily. Took quite a bit of time to clean it all up under there but that's what retirement is for.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Nice work on the underside of that Ranger army. You gonna let Frankie ride in it?
I'm gonna let him drive. He's missing one leg but it's an automatic.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
WFM can be a fun place to hang out. Life is what we make of it.

My blower 400 is helping out however it can this winter, like holding up a 400 hood. Used it 2 times to blow snow, so far.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I was thinking I was in the winter thread when I posted that. Gettin old and feeble mentally I guess. That's the excuse I use now anyway.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Old Franky got himself in hot water with the mrs a couple nights ago. He took off after the gate was left open a bit. He's 15 now and not very agile anymore on only 3 legs. The remaining back leg gives out on him sometimes and he has to lay down till it starts working again. My wife was pretty upset thinking he might injure it and be laying somewhere and freeze to death before we found him. But, as usual, he casually came hippity-hopping up the driveway after an hour or so. In the meantime my wife had me driving around pointing my headlights everywhere including into the fields. The reason you never see Tom Cruise do a Mission Impossible movie about finding a mostly black dog after dark is because it actually is impossible. I did see a possum and a couple rabbits and some spooky glowing eyeballs looking back at me though. I don't think the eyes were evil spirits but you never know so I kept the window up.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Frankie reminds me of my daughter's late cat...raised by my former shop supervisor PJ, our first choc lab. Hell of a hunter, but she liked to just catch stuff and bring it home traumatized and still alive, rather than kill it outright. She survived our big move from the Great Plains to Mississippi State, where I had a chance to teach, and the move to NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations. Got too brave though, and wandered out into the woods one night...either the big owls got her, or the coyotes...never found a trace of her. Quite a mousehound that one!
Taught myself how to do Toyota pickup front disc brake pads and lugnut studs today. The lugnut stud portion was unplanned, but I had to go back to the parts house anyway as the counter kid gave me the wrong sized pads. Got the old broken stud off, the new stud on and new brake pads on the front end. Stops on a thin dime now. Whoever designed these disc brakes had their head on right...don't even have to remove the caliper or rotor to compress the caliper pistons, remove the old pads, drop in the new and be in business again. Bob's Yer Uncle!
We have a promise of good, open weather tomorrow, which is skeleton crew day at work. So unless I get to feeling REAL conscientious, I'm going to mess around with my GTs...surely I can find some needed maintenance to take care of. If not, I'll just fire them all up one at a time and chase the squirrels in the yard.

·
Registered
630 Posts
When you make the same truck for years it probably is easy to do stuff like that when you don’t have to design a textured seat heater knob. lol That or just the Japanese engineering we’ve all come to love from Yanmar.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I'm gonna eyeball and measure the 3 pt hitch bottom attach points on my 322, to see if I can use my MCS519 cart with it if I take the lift arms off the hitch. It just sits around looking sad since I got the Cyclone Rake. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Tmac,

Something I learned with my MC 519 when I had it was the mount needs a bit of roll flexibility for use on uneven ground. There were several threads on this forum about how to do that so the locking pin in the factory mount did not cam out of engagement. Whatever you add to your 3-pt lower mounts should accommodate this need unless your property is much more flat than ours was...

For reference, here are some Deere bracket pictures of an unmodified mount. Since the yoke on the cart is a bit wider than the lower 3-pt mount, you will need to make some sort of transition bracket anyway...
MC519 mount bracket for 322.jpg

MC519 mount post detail.jpg

In case you don't have a PDF copy of the parts catalog for this cart, it is attached below...

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Thanks Chuckv, much appreciated...answers my mental question before I even make it to the shop. The bracket shown is $81 more or less from Mother Deere, so I suspect I'll be making my own...after a little experimentation.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I went through some of my stash of goodies yesterday to refresh my memory. I do that periodically so if I'm thinking about modifying or fabricating something I have some idea of what I might have that I could use. One item is a 12V/hydraulic unit. It's brand new. I also have an older used 110V unit that works fine. The 12V has the most potential because it can be used on anything mobile that generates enough constant amperage or has a big enough battery to power it between recharges, Could be used for a truck hoist or a garden tractor or even a Gator wanna be like my golf cart. Does anybody else have one and have you used it for some particular purpose yet?

My forklift has a 12V hydraulic pump too. It never goes anywhere that an extension cord wouldn't reach so it would be better if it was 110V so I don't have to have a car battery permanently hooked up to it. But I'm still pretty happy with it the way it is. It's really handy.

Not a very good pic but I got this 110V hydro pump from my dad. He bought a couple of them at a salvage yard. He used one of them to help out the local undertaker who was a coffee shop buddy. Dad made him a hydraulic X frame lift to raise/lower caskets about 4 feet get to the 'work area'. The undertaker gave him the royal treatment when he passed away. He even got out of bed to go get dad at the hospital in the middle of the night even though it wasn't necessary. Kindnesses like that can help people deal with a loss.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
8,398 Posts
Army,

Those 12 volt hydraulic packs can really suck the current, depending on size. The one on my 3000 lb lift gate on my old GMC produce truck needed the engine running to work right, as did the hydraulics for the jackstands and the slide room on the 43 foot diesel pusher motorhome.

There are smaller ones of course, some with smaller cylinder capabilities such as the lift bed on the old Deere AMT 600 series UTVs.
hydraulic lift for AMT 600 & 626.jpg

I'll bet the battery mounted to your forklift at least adds some ballast and moves the center of gravity down a bit... :)

Chuck

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
The forklift will do it's job for quite a while on one charge but it isn't a deep cycle so I keep it topped up with a battery tender. It already has a lot of ballast but the battery no doubt helps. I used to have a big diesel truck battery on it that was roughly double the size of a typical car battery. It eventually died though. Dad bought 20 of them brand new for $25 each at a salvage yard where the International truck plant here in Ontario used to dump off surplus stuff. He kept 5 and distributed the rest to friends and family. The plant closed years ago so no more goodies from that source.

2041 - 2060 of 2063 Posts