Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1841 - 1860 of 1864 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
TMac- "Better for your back, but probably harder on his wallet...anyway, you got to escape into the wild for a while! "

I did. Got to drive in the hills of northeast Iowa...nice winding twisty roads up in those parts. Reminds me of my old stomping grounds as a 20 something down in south central Missouri in the north end of the Ozark mountains. But... then I had to come home...

His wallet won't hurt, he's a implement trader. When I got there I helped load a old 8' (Maybe wider) tandem disk he had just sold. He lives at auction yards. Buy low and sell at a profit. He live on a main two lane with a lot of traffic and has a nice lineup along the front yard. Mostly running gear and gravity boxes, but a few restored Deere tractors and other things too. But behind the barn he has a lot full of all kinds of implements.

Yesterday he sold this...we have no idea who made it..

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Pulled the 322 forward in the shop and applied some genuine CeeTee technology...slip jaw pliers used to straighten the left rear fender skirt where the tail light bucket clamps in. The PO was a bit lacking in backing skills, but about 10 minutes of readjusting the sheet metal got the light opening mostly square again. Might pull the headlight harness from the main connector to the bulbs later today and check all the wiring, clean sockets, etc. Got some new bulbs...two of the three were burnt out. Where's my test light?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Wasn’t my shop, but I took a drive out to jd140’s shop to relieve him of the Tecumseh that was on his 63 110 he just picked up. I have a good home for it on my 67 112 and put some cash in his pocket to get that 63 prettied back up. Great guy to meet, with beautiful tractors in their shop and shed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wasn’t my shop, but I took a drive out to jd140’s shop to relieve him of the Tecumseh that was on his 63 110 he just picked up. I have a good home for it on my 67 112 and put some cash in his pocket to get that 63 prettied back up. Great guy to meet, with beautiful tractors in their shop and shed.

Thanks again Nate! It was nice meeting you.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
454 Posts
I started on my fel today. I got plans from Paul last week. Bought a few pieces of steel to get started today. I did submit the material list to a supplier today, so I think I'll get everything in 1 trip.
This is for the mini pin on payloader Paul did the thread about.
It should keep me occupied for a while, lol.
Heres the start...

I figure Paul's thread is very well written, so I'm not doing that. I'll just post some updates here, on the progress.
At least I got a start going.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
372 Posts
Pulled the 322 forward in the shop and applied some genuine CeeTee technology...slip jaw pliers used to straighten the left rear fender skirt where the tail light bucket clamps in. The PO was a bit lacking in backing skills, but about 10 minutes of readjusting the sheet metal got the light opening mostly square again. Might pull the headlight harness from the main connector to the bulbs later today and check all the wiring, clean sockets, etc. Got some new bulbs...two of the three were burnt out. Where's my test light?
A mite late in this response about the fender straightening. I don't know what it was you needed to straighten but slip joint pliers (with serrated jaws) are hard on the metal methinks. I've always used various sizes/lengths of crescent wrenches (adjustable jaw wrenches) to straighten metal. Not that it makes a difference what is used, just thought I'd throw that out to you just in case.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Finally out in my shop tonight. 45 minutes later and the HH100 was on the floor. Need to get an Allen head, or internal square drive pipe plug tomorrow so I can drop in the SSHH100. Then external square drive plug sticks out and hits the frame. Decided to stick with the solid state ignition and internal charging system. I figure the charge wire from the regulator goes to positive, just need to figure out if it’s to battery + or switched +. Anyone?

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Yesterday I pulled the plug on bottom of air compressor and drained water from tank. Cleaning up the 318 work area. Little bit left to clean up this morning and water the squash plants then head to rural property to do mowing/cleanup/landscaping work. 318 restoration on hold again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Finally out in my shop tonight. 45 minutes later and the HH100 was on the floor. Need to get an Allen head, or internal square drive pipe plug tomorrow so I can drop in the SSHH100. Then external square drive plug sticks out and hits the frame. Decided to stick with the solid state ignition and internal charging system. I figure the charge wire from the regulator goes to positive, just need to figure out if it’s to battery + or switched +. Anyone?
Can't help...maybe post the question in the restoration and repair thread?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Can't help...maybe post the question in the restoration and repair thread?
I don’t think it matters. I found a wiring diagram for 112 SF with SS HH100, and it shows that wire going to the “R” terminal on ignition switch. Tecumseh diagram shows the wire going to the battery “+”. So 6 to one, half dozen to the other...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Spent the day in the shop, but it all went well.
For the most part, lol.
Worked on the mini payloader. Got the upright frame tack welded together.
Slow progress, but its progress.

Tomorrow is another day, hopefully it goes as well as today.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don’t think it matters. I found a wiring diagram for 112 SF with SS HH100, and it shows that wire going to the “R” terminal on ignition switch. Tecumseh diagram shows the wire going to the battery “+”. So 6 to one, half dozen to the other...
The only reason it might matter is if the switched connection keeps it from draining the battery. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Took a closer look at the rodent-chewed headlight harness after I got it off the 430 this morning after daybreak chores. Went out front to water and remembered I have some electrical goodies in my packrat supplies in the garage...so I dug out the remnant of an old boat trailer light harness, some connectors and shrink tubing and went at the 430 headlight harness. Even managed to find and use my wire cutter/crimper/stripper tool, too.
Got it all back together, installed and plugged it in and I have front lights on the 430 again, and not ashamed of any of the connections made either. Nice way to start an otherwise sleepy, hot day during "these challenging times"...man, I'm getting tired of that phrase.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Took a closer look at the rodent-chewed headlight harness after I got it off the 430 this morning after daybreak chores. Went out front to water and remembered I have some electrical goodies in my packrat supplies in the garage...so I dug out the remnant of an old boat trailer light harness, some connectors and shrink tubing and went at the 430 headlight harness. Even managed to find and use my wire cutter/crimper/stripper tool, too.
Got it all back together, installed and plugged it in and I have front lights on the 430 again, and not ashamed of any of the connections made either. Nice way to start an otherwise sleepy, hot day during "these challenging times"...man, I'm getting tired of that phrase.
Gettin it done! Congratulations! I worked last night till 5am (a bit over 14 hours) so I'm just getting out of bed, still drinking my morning coffee ...

Just an FYI in case you don't have one...they sell terminal block spade removal tools that work better than the homemade super small skinny ground down screwdriver I used to use when I rewired my old Chevy 4x4.

I'm slowly building up my electrical parts stash. I prefer using the self-solder and seal connections for connections possibly exposed to weather. Much easier that shink tube and the ones I get have no acid in the flux. Too easy! I bought a high end heat gun kit a couple years ago with a soldering hood in the kit for just that reason. It made rewiring my wife's horse trailer a breeze. I get my supplies from Napa and I got the Dewalt digital heat gun kit from the webz.

Next up (when I get around tuit) is rewiring my Farmall M, I bought the wires I'll need last week (nothing stock-like here, just practical), still waiting on a weather resistant push button switch that I'll use to energize a Ford starter solenoid to run juice to the starter instead of through the push button switch. I am eliminating the foot starter switch because nobody builds a good one anymore, I've gone through at least three in the last ten years. The original one likely lasted forty years. The new ones I've found at the IH dealer are just repurposed bus turn signal switches, not nearly heavy enough to handle the amp draws of a starter, The last started smoking the first time I used it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
The 112 RF is alive again! Need to install new ignition switch and wire it up, but he runs good. Carb is pretty finicky(Chinese knockoff) but I think I can live with it until I send my original carb to carbrescue or rebuild it myself.

Thanks again JD140!

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Nice job Nate. When you coming to Wisconsin to help me with mine?

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I’d love to come out and check out your herd, but then I’d get really jealous:D
Nice job Nate. When you coming to Wisconsin to help me with mine?
I’ve heard that large sump tecumsehs don’t fit round fender frames... maybe there is three different sump sizes.

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
MF 7 was my first garden tractor. Had a Tecumseh engine. I fought that tractor often and often it beat me. I finally scrapped it out and bought a 110 RF and then another 110 RF. Deep sump Tecumseh, that looks like quite a sump. Nothing like what is in my 67.

Relationship between gas tank and top of engine looks normal. That governer linkage looks foreign to me but the sheet metal on the engine looks newer than original engines. And the really stinker I see is that half air filter cannister. That is same as mine. I know that is as designed but just do not like air filter that is not contained. Like SmallEngineWarehouse 140 replacement engines where they saw the air cleaner canister in half to make clearance with fuel tank. That will become an issue if I need to repower my 140. I will need to do some research on person that put a plastic tank under the fender deck on his 140.

Gabby

·
Registered
513 Posts
It's looking good Nate!

Reactions: MiniHomesteader
1841 - 1860 of 1864 Posts