Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1861 - 1880 of 1912 Posts

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I was contemplating converting this engine over to points and a starter generator, but decided to keep this engine as is since this tractors main job is mowing, and it always bothered me having to keep the grass cleaned off the stationary flywheel cover. I had considered cutting the screen out of the S/G belt guard and installing a spinning screen, but this solves the problem. And for now the thought of not dealing with points is a bonus.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Got some shop time in the garage this morning...after breaking down the small mountain range of accumulated cardboard boxes that various stuff has arrived in lately. Then got out my delivered-yesterday used hydro couplings for the 322. Cleaned them inside and out with Brak-Kleen, and cleaned up the outside so they're all nice and shiny again. Even found my dental picks in the big toolbox. Fun begins when the new O-rings show up sometime this week...meanwhile the old couplers are soaking in Deep Creep.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Nice...any plans for using the new SWAG?
Had some time after chores this morning. Sat down at my garage workbench, sprayed a little Brak-Kleen into the clean hydro couplers and fished the old O-rings out of each one with my dental picks. Bobs yer uncle! Renewed the Deep Creep on the front of the 322...waiting for parts is onerous business.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Made some progress on the mini payloader yesterday. The lift cylinder seems to work very well. Still have a whole lot to do yet.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
749 Posts
In the finger brake related category, I finished a restoration of a Di-Acro 24" finger brake and used the forks to move it from the steel bench to a cart. Brake is 325 pounds. I need the welding bench back to fabricate a stand for the brake. I really want the SWAG finger brake kit for my press.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Huzzah! The federal employee delivered my 212 headlight switch and O-rings for the front hydro couplers on the 322. Already got the new switch in the 212 and now it has it useless headlights back at full brilliance!
Also got the new O-rings into the couplers without any difficulty. Tomorrow I'll move the 322 to the garage and the 212 to the shop temporarily, while I pull the old/nasty/rusty hydro couplers off and put the new ones on. Did this a year or two ago with the 430 and working on smooth, clean, level concrete made a big difference...cuts way down on the cussin' factor.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Replaced power steering hoses, exhaust donut, and changed the oil in the wife’s ‘75 Ranchero. Can’t wait for cruising season to be over, this car needs some work. The plan is to pull the body off the frame and do it right this winter. Then next winter will be my turn🤘

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Okay, got the 322 front hydro couplers replaced today.
Geez Louise...can you say pain in the yutz? Not much room under there to use the snap ring pliers or break the nuts loose on the line couplings. As odd as the elongated front end on a 430 looks, it is a godsend when you are doing this job...way more room to work and, more importantly, see what you are doing. Started about 9:30 this morning and finished up just after 3 p.m., with a hour off for lunch. Did the couplers on the left (facing tractor) first because they have the 90-degree line fittings on them, then did the right couplers after lunch and they were much easier to disconnect because the hydro lines are straight.
After seeing how nasty/rusty the old couplers were after removing them, I'm really glad I did this job. Last thing will be installing new coupler covers on both sides. Then it's a coin toss...what's next, tires or a 3 pt. hitch?

·
Registered
283 Posts
In the finger brake related category, I finished a restoration of a Di-Acro 24" finger brake and used the forks to move it from the steel bench to a cart. Brake is 325 pounds. I need the welding bench back to fabricate a stand for the brake. I really want the SWAG finger brake kit for my press.

View attachment 258862
View attachment 258863
do you still have plans for this? I want to bulid one for my 425, I would need to make it a little different but it would probably be close.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Okay, got the 322 front hydro couplers replaced today.
Geez Louise...can you say pain in the yutz? Not much room under there to use the snap ring pliers or break the nuts loose on the line couplings. As odd as the elongated front end on a 430 looks, it is a godsend when you are doing this job...way more room to work and, more importantly, see what you are doing. Started about 9:30 this morning and finished up just after 3 p.m., with a hour off for lunch. Did the couplers on the left (facing tractor) first because they have the 90-degree line fittings on them, then did the right couplers after lunch and they were much easier to disconnect because the hydro lines are straight.
After seeing how nasty/rusty the old couplers were after removing them, I'm really glad I did this job. Last thing will be installing new coupler covers on both sides. Then it's a coin toss...what's next, tires or a 3 pt. hitch?
I think tires would make more sense if you are going from turfs to ags or something else more aggressive if you’ll be using the 3pt for dirt work. Plus the added weight of the attachment on the back could be the straw that breaks the camels back and starts causing tires to leak down.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. I'm not in a hurry with the 322, it's just a fun side project that I jumped on because it came my way...had to travel a little to rescue it, but it was worth it. I've got a 430 for dirt work, which I really love, and a 212 with same-size deck that is my mowing and leafing workhorse.
Checked my install on the front couplers this morning, was too hot and whipped yesterday to start it up, cycle the hydro levers and watch for leaks at the coupler-line fittings. Found a slight drip on the far left coupler (looking at the tractor from front), which was the hardest of the four to do...and the second one I did. One of the PO's hit something with the front of the tractor and bent the frame slightly where the coupler goes through. Not much out of square but enough to keep me from getting that coupler-line nut snug enough. Crawled under it this morning with a crowsfoot wrench and got it tight enough...no drip now. I don't have any attachments to plug in up front, unless I decide to move the Johnny Bucket Sr. from the 430 and that's not likely. I just can't leave something undone after I notice what needs to be replaced...like the old, rusty couplers. Also put two pair of color-coded coupler plugs/covers on this morning, too.
After I got the deck and mule drive back on, the belt tightened and deck wheels reset to the correct height I looked closer at the clearance between the deck wheel and left front tire. On second look, I think going with bigger/taller tires on the front might present a clearance/rubbing problem...so I'll probably just stick with the stock tire sizes. No need for new front shoes right now, but I'll start shopping for rear lug tires. The current back tires are mis-matched and worn turfs, but hold air well. I'll just have to find a deal that I like on lugs...I hear the Deestones are slightly shorter than Carlisles and other brands. I can keep the current rears as a rescue set for the 212...its rear tires are looking thin and need a shot of air before every mowing.
Might opt out on the 3 pt. hitch, too...since the 430 has one. Unless the pres sends me some more Wuhan bux!

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Took the battery booster down to lower shed and got the 317 started. Hasn't been started since last fall. Engine is surging a little. I will add a mixture of fresh gas and sea foam. That should clear it up. Took it up in front of garage and have the battery charger on it right now. Left rear tire is a little low. Will give it a quick grease/tire pressure service and hook it up to the 80 cart and make a couple of runs to the city compost site.

DSCN1082.JPG

Got the X720 out and mowed most of the yard. Still have the

DSCN1084.JPG

Even had a couple of minutes to tinker with the 420. Had it started again for a few minutes. Going to see if I can lift off the fender deck by myself after supper.

DSCN1086.JPG

After supper I also need to see if I can get the tall chute sanded for Matt and a couple coats of yellow paint applied ... No photo (yet).

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
317 is serviced and stored away again in lower shed. I hooked up a solar battery charger to it so battery should stay charged.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Spent last evening, and today at my dads shop... not working on any Deere, but working on my Deere hauler. Had enough of the haze at idle so decided it was time to replace the injectors.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Finished up the even bank (drivers side) today. Got everything back on that side of the engine besides the CAC pipe. Need to replace the power steering return hose yet, that’ll be much easier before that pipe goes back in and covers up access to that hose. Had to order two injector cups. Had one with a failed compression washer that allowed the carbon to fill up and stick the injector to the cup, and a second that the nozzle was carboned up pretty good sticking it to the cup, so we decided to replace those two. Dad worked on replacing the carrier bearing for the driveshaft after I had to break out early for a family picnic at the FIL’s. We also adjusted the valves while we were in there. Pretty happy with where the adjustment was with 130k on the ticker. Set them to factory specs and should be good for another 100k.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Got my mini payloader moving today.
Everything appears to be working ok on it.
Still a bunch more to do yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Got my mini payloader moving today.
Everything appears to be working ok on it.
Still a bunch more to do yet.
View attachment 259385
That looks excellent! You did a lot of homework there! Finish up the welding and paint and it looks like it'll do some work. I can't see the cutting edge but I would suggest a real pre-made cutting edge. Sheet steel just won't hold up.

Not a critique but it's too bad it sticks so far out in front, that really limits it's breakout force and it's max lift. That limitation is due to the strength of the tractors frame and front axle/spindles. Of course you could add weight to the rear-end to accomplish both (as long as the hydraulics are up to the task) but the afore mentioned liabilities still become the weak link.

·
Registered
537 Posts
The homework was done for me, lol.
I bought a set of plans from PF Engineering.
Paul has a thread on here about building the prototype.
I'm not looking to move a mountain, lol with it. I figure it's a hyd shovel and wheel barrow.
Plus, it's a lot of fun to build.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I bet it is! Too bad I'm such a lousy welder...I never really learned how to stick weld. Besides, I don't have many irrational fears that I couldn't over but I still have the one about having a super bright, super hot electrical arc five inches in front of my nose. Five inches now anyway because I have tri-focals now and the beginnings of cataracts. Wire welding never caused me any anxiety. Strange. I think it has to do with the long welding rod and the lack of fine control I had with it. A wire welder had two fine motor skill movements as opposed to three or more with a rod. I've never been very talented with my hands, they were designed more for pushing, pulling, lifting, and hitting. Big and beefy. No fiddle music from them in other words (yes, I tried that too).

1861 - 1880 of 1912 Posts