Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1901 - 1912 of 1912 Posts

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
What did I do in my shop today? I'm cleaning it. It was a pigpen. Couldn't even get the car in.

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's depressing...I'm 63 years old and have never in my live lived anywhere that had a garage or a shop I could get my vehicles into that had a concrete floor and electricity. Oh woe is me.... 😕

·
Registered
534 Posts
Last week I set up my grinding rig/belt sander in the basement. I have buying stuff for weeks and it all finally got here. I bought a 1hp Jet IBG-8 grinder and put a multi-tools 2"x36" belt sander on it all sitting on top of a heavy iron stand also from Jet.

The LED light that mounts on it is back ordered so I'll worry about that when it arrives.

My advice to buying the Multi-tool sander...get the longer one or get a 4" wide one...2"x36" belts seem to be harder to find than the 4" or longer belt. It was also supposed to be plug and play of sorts. Not really...the Multi-tool is Australian, therefore it's metric. The Jet is fractional. The mounting kit that comes with the Multi-tool doesn't have the correct four bolts for mounting to the 8" industrial grinder. It might be a bolt on for the shop style grinder IDK. The other issue there is the shaft. It has a step/shoulder for the inner flange to rest against. This spaces the sander drive wheel out about 1/2" or so which means the shroud/adapter plate is needs to be spaced out the same amount. The kit does not come equiped to do that. A home concocted spacer setup will be needed in addition to the longer bolts to attach all of it. I wanted it done so I just used two nuts over each of the four bolts. Utube shows better ways of doing it with more work.

Expect to assemble/disassemble the entire thing once or twice during set-up. Once I got it set it works great. There's better systems but for a cheapo unit it's good enough for me. The Jet grinder runs like a Swiss watch.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Haven't done much in the shop in about 3 weeks now. Moved the 212 out there and the 322 in the garage for easier mowing access. Been monitoring the resting charge on the 212 battery after it didn't want to crank over a couple of weeks ago. While I was futzing around checking acid/liquid levels with the battery caps off I noticed it is a little over five years old now...Wow, where does the time go?
Anyway, added a little distilled water to one of the cells and I've been running it occasionally to keep it charged...same with the 430 which sits next to the 212 in the shop. Gonna keep doing this until it gets to be leaf cleanup time...since the 212 has the deck that accepts the Cyclone Rake deck boot and the rear hitch bar. But who knows I may get wild and crazy and just replace that five-year-old battery...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Today I cobbled up a new battery hold down and bracket for a desulfator box. Tomorrow I'll weld them together and mount the box, then get it installed. I'm hoping it works pretty well, time will tell.
Sorry, forgot to take a pic. I'll get one tomorrow.

Reactions: crazyhorse

·
Registered
445 Posts
Finished sealing up my new air compressor plumbing. Finished up the final parts of my 49 snowblower and installed it on the 316k. Cleaned up my tools and seafoamed all my equipment for storage. Got a lot done

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
All I did in the shop today was check the 212's resting battery voltage...holding good after a little battery maintenance. But I did move my pile of various implements around along the wood stockade fence that runs along the side of west yard and right up to the shop. Had it all piled into a jumble to make it easier for the landscapers to dump a load of rock over the fence onto the ground right off the shop porch. Now I have about 12 feet of rock in front of the shop porch, about as wide as the shop...should keep me out of the dirt in the future, easy to drop some cardboard or plywood down on the rock when I need to get under one of my Deere's out in the sunshine. Now I've got all the stuff spread out so it's easier to hitch/unhitch when I need to.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Been leaning up the tins on the 318, not a restoration just a cosmetic clean up

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
I need to so the same on the 332 I just bought. Tins make a heck of lot of rattling noise when starting at low idle. Need to find cause and tighten shields. I sat in the garage overnight and I see a small leak under rear axle I need to take a look at also.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Pulled the lift arms off the 3 pt hitch on the 322 today. The pivot balls/eyes on both ends of the right arm were a little stiff...used some pentrating oil and graphite and big screwdriver to work them around and around and cleaned them off. What's the best product for this chore? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Finally getting close to getting the shop cleaned out. Pole building for storage is getting close to complete. Hoping it’ll be done by the end of the week. I did find out that I won’t be able to get concrete poured this fall yet due to the cold temps. It’ll have to wait until next spring. I already know that the shed is too small, but it is already over budget. Can’t wait to get my shop cleaned out!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Took the 54 pwr angle blade apart today.
Time to clean it up and paint. Needs a cutting edge to. Wont be to long till the snow is falling.

1901 - 1912 of 1912 Posts