Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4401 - 4420 of 4461 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Parked the 112 under a shade tree & pulled out the deck, had to order a pulley & a lift strap, all is fun and games until you lose a piece of a cotter key in the grass.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Thought about going to a small local gun/knife show in town, but I'm content with the current arsenal for now...don't need the distraction of impulse buying another toy right now. But I do need to dust off some of the smoke poles and get out and shoot some cans. Can't hunt in my yard cause of the neighbors, but my shop supervisor Jack is pretty sure we need to knock some of those cursed fox squirrels down off their high horses in the big oak trees out back. In fall I'm tempted to sneak out my old single-shot Ithaca 12 ga. and take one of the giant Canada geese that cruise low over my yard/trees when they are out for morning exercise/flight time...but then I'd have to explain to officer Bob and admit to being a bad boy. Very tempting though...just not the same pointing your finger and saying Pow!

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Tmac,

Great to hear the new dampener performs like we all knew it should! Yes, the 322 uses fuel about at the rate of the older Onan twin in the 318 -- but it is a much smoother engine. The FAQ has some half load and full load consumption rates for various models...

Chuck

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
The Canada geese fly really low over my place as well. Behind our little neighborhood is a small farm property where the teen boys there take a few geese each season over their fields. Once they sailed a big one that crashed in the next door neighbor's back yard on their swing set slide -- made an astoundingly loud noise... They came and got it and apologized for the failure to drop it cleanly. Since we have two small lakes in the neighborhood itself we can have 40 or more geese low in the air at once over our street. They can make quite a racket when taking off from the lakes, which I see most spring mornings when I take my 3 mile walk around the streets here. Haven't seen the large flocks as much in the summertime lately, but expect to see more as the fall approaches.

The high flights are clearly more than a hundred birds...they must gather up from many local feeding areas nearby.

Chuck

·
Registered
454 Posts
Got the electric fuel pump finished up this morning in the 318. Seems like it should be ok now. I had also ordered the fender pan isolator mounts and put those on the 318 also. I saw there used on the 332, so I figured they should work. Well, they almost fit, lol. The front of the pan caught the stud.
So I had to trim a piece of the pan off to get it to fit. Got the pan on and fastened down.

Went and got the rear blade on and spent a few hours filling in the rut in the drive. The 318 ran great and those isolators took a lot of vibration out. Nice smooth ride.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Skwirl,

Yes the isolators from the 322/332 can be made to work with minor modifications. Be aware that the front of the pan and the frame in that area on the water-cooled tractors are both just a little different due to the wide radiator being in that front pedestal area...

Glad you got it sorted... By the way, where did you end up grabbing switched power for the electric fuel pump?

Chuck

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Of all the hunting I've done, I love bird hunting the best...especially geese and pheasant. Nothing like fresh pheasant taken from a grain stubble field. And the clatter when they bust off and fly...that'll get your ticker pumping. Our neighbor to the south has two fairly large farm ponds, so we have a resident population of Canadas...but they get really thick in the fall. Love being outside with the dog when they go overhead...you can hear them coming they are so low...beautiful, and graceful in flight. And they always put up a clatter on the pond when the foxes or coyotes are prowling around.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Chuck, I believe it was an old thread with your post in it, advising to pull power from the 20 amp fuse. So, that's what I did, using a fuse tap connector. That goes to control a relay. Power for the pump comes from the battery, thru a 5 amp fuse, relay sends it to the pump. All grounds back to battery. All connections soldered and heat shrinked.
It should be ok for a while, lol.

And yeah, I read a lot, lol.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Skwirl,

Sounds like a very clean install, should give you years of trouble free service. With your attention to detail I am sure you mounted the pump itself low on the frame to allow it to self prime, just like the electric pump on the 322...

Tmac -- I haven't hunted pheasant for decades, used to go with a friend in California and hunt over his dog. Times and certainly that state have changed considerably. I can relate to the adrenaline rush when a bird flushes...most recently for me it was grouse exploding from near my feet when trying to stealthily sneak through the woods when deer hunting in Oregon a few seasons ago. Seems like birds such as pheasant and grouse can hide under a single blade of grass...

Chuck

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm detail anal or not, lol.
I was taught by a few very good mechanics a lifetime ago and I guess it stuck. Plus, I hate fixing crap quick fixes. So I try and do it well enough that I dont have to touch it again for a good long while.
As for the pump, yep. Under the tank, on the frame, at a 45 degree angle up, with a filter on the inlet. I read the directions, imagine that, lol. Dont tell anyone.

I do some hunting to guys. Although I havent gone pheasant hunting in years. I do enjoy deer and squirrel season.
Heres a good fall morning...

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Nice...always wanted to do some squirrel hunting with a genuine smoke pole. What caliber is that long gun? Nice pistola too. Decades ago I had a replica Colt 3rd model dragoon 44...weighed almost 7 pounds fully charged, but very fun to shoot. Not so much fun to keep and clean though. It made an impressive amount of noise, fire and smoke when touched off...but watch out for chain firing!
We used to have good to decent quail hunting here in Tejas, but the imported red fire ant that is everywhere now almost wiped them out. Hard on anything that nests on ground...they'll even swarm fawns and calves. Some of the old hard-core ranchers swear by a good amount of diesel on the mound, followed by a few big kitchen matches as the best control. Not sure about control, but makes an impressive noise and fireball...burn critters burn!

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Tmac,

Here is one of my pistols that is on the opposite end of the spectrum from a black power rig -- uses factory 308 rifle ammo and weighs under 6 pounds with that scope...
savage pistol.jpg

I can't relate to the ants, but did some shooting of ground squirrels with my .221 fireball pistol, a single shot TC that was a tack driver -- good out to about 90 yards from a Creedmore position. Haven't done that in years and my eyes are not what they used to be...hence the scope on the Savage Striker pistol above.

Skwirl -- nice picture of your hunting results!!

Chuck

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tmac, the flinter is 20 gauge with a turkey choke barrel from Colerain. Does ok out to 30 yards or so. The revolver is a S&W m17-3 . Fun to shoot and cheap on the ammo.
Heres a bigger brother for white tails, or anything else to, lol...
M29 44 mag....

I do like my S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Nice handgun chuckv. I've always wanted to try a big bore long distance gun and some distance shooting...and hand loading of course. Never got around to it while I was fit enough to enjoy it though. My granddad used to pay us a bounty on prairie dogs taken in his pasture...kept us boys preoccupied and out of mischief sitting patiently and waiting for one to emerge within range of our .22 LRs.
Skwirl's photo made me hungry for lunch...up in the mountains they say a man who is too sick to eat squirrel is surely going to die. They are pretty tasty. Hunting behind a good dog is hard to beat...my current and last two shop supervisors are of the Choc Lab variety...very smart and won't let you stray far, from them or your daily routine. Happy Jack goes everywhere with me... jack3.jpg

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Speaking of scatterguns and hunting, an old friend of mine recently published a coffee-table photo history book about goose hunting called Images of the Morning's Sport (GK Chambers)...lots of old photos tracing the history of dogs, methods, etc. of waterfowling through the years. Easy to get lost in...
I've migrated through several handguns over the decades...I like that .44 mag. I keep a S&W detective's .38 snubby handy when I travel and like to target shoot etc. with a Ruger 2nd edition Blackhawk in .357 with bone grips. Balances well and shoots like a dream, with .38s or .357s.
What's your impressions of shooting a flintlock scattergun? Lots of fun I bet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your correct, Tmac.
The flinters are a blast, lol.
I enjoy them the most. Along with the shotgun, I have 3 rifles also. A 36 cal, and 2 50 cals. The 36 I use for squirrel also and the 50's for deer.
Heres a 50 I put together a few years back.
It was a precarve stock, I whittled it down a lot till I was done, lol. Now it's very light, you could twirl it like a baton, lol. A pleasure to carry all day, but theirs always a price to pay.
It kicks like a pissed off mule, lol.

·
Registered
516 Posts
wondering for the rear lower tiller mount pins is there suppose to be a washer on the outside of the bushing?

in the Pic washer is on the left and no washer on the right?

Which way is this suppose to be?

also made a little cart for easy on/off of the tiller,

74 140

Attachments

·
Registered
516 Posts
that is what I was thinking, I'm going with the washer on the outside as well, just I have to have them loose to get the tiller to slide on and down and then get top pins in and then tighten the bottom ones back up.
my bushings are just a bit more narrow than the tiller frame that slides onto them.

heck I might have the wrong bushing size for all I know.

thanks Dutchman!

4401 - 4420 of 4461 Posts