Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4421 - 4440 of 4461 Posts

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Checked the 322 headlight harness today...someone tried to rehab it before, unfortunately it appears it was Og the caveman. Lots of mis-sized wires, poor crimp connectors and old electrical tape...so much so that I have decided to source a good used harness...even though the sockets themselves are not that corroded. They cleaned up pretty well, but I can probably replace the whole shebang for what I would spend on new wire, proper connectors, shrink tubing and connectors. So...I'm in waiting for parts mode again.
I did find a good used left rear tail light bucket, bracket and lens on the auction site...better go look for a headlight harness too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
No problem, I got the bushings on mine from the local hardware store. They are a but wider than the tiller mounts but it doesn't effect anything.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's a shame your so far south, Tmac.
I have a decent headlight harness, somewhere here.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Found one, it's on the way. I'm just about where I ought/want to be in relation to the Equator, just not at the right elevation. I feel sorry for those down on the coast, the photos of Hanna's destruction were pretty severe even though it was only a Cat 1 blow. Mosquitos and humidity are going to be my major worries for the next 75 days...but at least the days start out around 75 degrees.

·
Registered
372 Posts
My tractor...not the little Deere, the bigger Oliver 1755.

I bought a used cat 1 dirt scoop last week to do a job I didn't want to tackle with a shovel. Last evening I got it put on in a less than comfortable fashion. By that I mean extra long hitch pins spaced out so the Oliver claw arms would fit outside the scoops frame. I moved two full loads of rocks...it worked as good as expected, but also as expected it bent the hitch pins (not the scoop mounts fortunately). A 1755 is way too much tractor for a cat 1 scoop, but it beats 8 grand for a loader.

Phase two, drive scoop to the fabrication/welding shop and have them weld on a system for stepped pins so as to keep the cat 1 setup but also allow for a stronger cat 2 attachment. In addition I might suggest adding some cross braces (or just some triangular gussets) tween and below the lower bend of the front and rear frame hoops between the pin mounts so I don't fold those.

I also need a shorter cat 1/2 top link. All three of my top links are a bit too long causing the rear of the scoop to tilt down at full lift. It's hard to keep these rocks from sliding out when the rear is about 4" lower than the front.

Overall, I think it will work out fine (with some improvements) for what I need it to do.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Mowing the lawn tonight with the 140 and getting close to fence line. Nailed 2 small paving stones. :eek: Busted the deck belt and put a small Nick in one blade.

Thought I had extra belt but apparently not.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Did you mark those stones in some way? Once a GT finds one and gets the upper hand, they like to go back for more unless the operator steers them clear.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Did you mark those stones in some way? Once a GT finds one and gets the upper hand, they like to go back for more unless the operator steers them clear.
Threw them in the flower bed on other side of fence where at least they are visible to some degree. They were spares left over from the walkway and somehow crawled out of the pile 50' away. There might be more hidden, but I'm gonna weed-wack first before I finish mowing.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Brought my X720 home today. Used it to mow yard today w/o bagger installed. Does a much better mowing w/o the bagger. I need to install bagger and then spend a day leveling the deck with bagger installed to see if mowing performance is improved.

Out of tractor space here in town. tomorrow I need to load the X485 on trailer and take it back to rural property which probably needs to be mowed again. Seems like that is all I do is mow yards.

Gabby

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
After ruining a blade, belt and PTO clutch on a 140 I once had while mowing "unknown" ground that looked clear I now take the time to walk over any ground before I put a mower deck and tractor over it. Simple, I know...but that was an expensive lesson to relearn. I also do some weed whacking along and in my ditches before I put a blade in them to clean them out...don't want to have to pull a weighted/fluid filled tire off of a tractor that is on the slant if there's something lurking that can puncture or ruin a tire. It's amazing what finds its way into a ditch...people toss the weirdest stuff out of their car windows.
Children left to run wild to their own devices using whatever they can find for tools/toys also leave interesting items laying around that you don't want to find with a mower deck. The item that ruined the 140 blade, belt and PTO clutch was a long-abandoned Craftsman hammer driven into the ground handle-first, with head above the ground. I found lots of stuff like that...and random gate latch parts all around our property after we moved in and I started cleaning things up. Hammers & nails & puppy dog tails as the old saying goes...that's what boys are made of.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Well the federal employee brought my used left rear tail light bucket, bracket and lens this morning. Hot dog...now I can do something to the 322 during the cool of the morning tomorrow after I get my shop supervisor through his artillery drills and after I hand water all the elephant ears and other exotic fauna in the backyard. The south ditches will have to wait another day...maybe by Saturday.

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
You are watering exotic fauna??? Are these elephant ears connected to real elephants, or did you mean flora...??
:ROFLMAO:

Chuck

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Right you are chuckv, I meant flora...fingers got ahead of my brain on the keyboard again. The only Oliphant ears on the premises are my beds of Vietnamese and Thai giant plants around our oak trees, and they are thriving in the heat as long as I apply some water every morning. Probably just my imagination, but they do seem to wag a little as I prepare to water right after daybreak...but not as much as Jack, my shop supervisor, wags during backyard artillery drills/fetch sessions. He's the only large fauna in the backyard other than me...if it weren't for fetch drills first thing, he would probably take the water hose away from me and head for the patio doors...water games with dad would be much better inside the cool house! He is a water dog after all...
It appears my headlight harness has made it from Canada to California...if the federal employee's package tracking site is correct.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was using this ABI elite spreader with my cc782 3 point lift drawbar but the slop made it hard to back up. Bought a $100 dollar hydraulic cylinder at Big R today to replace the turnbuckle system. Lifts drive wheels up very nicely!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Fed ex/up finally decided to deliver my front bumper/ weight bracket yesterday. Got it put on the 332 today and then mowed the yard.

The rags are for keeping the grease from getting on the cover for it.
Then it got a little battery mantinence.
Pulled it out, removed the white crud and rinsed it off. Put a acid mat in the tray, then all back together. A little spray protection and the solar panel clips.

Then it's time to get ready for bed, lol.

I guess I'm spoiling these guys, lol.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Now we are all losing sleep Skwirl... 😄

Just kidding -- you are taking good care of a vintage machine that is worth your doting and your attention. These 332s last and last and provide great service.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
These are my two mowing tractors. The X720 on the left normally has bagger mounted on it. The X485 is my rural property mower.. It has fluid filled Deestone ags on the rear. Does a great job at rural property but there times when I would like the 4wd on a X585.

Had the X485 in town to do 50 hr service. Hauled it back to property today along with the orange thing. It needs a front differential seal. Time to set up a shop to do repair work at the rural property.
DSCN1032.JPG DSCN1034.JPG

Reactions: chuckv

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Nice Gabby -- I had an X495 at my last acreage property and really enjoyed the 62 inch mulching deck and the four wheel steering. That Yanmar diesel was reliable and strong (only had 2400 hours when I bought it from a local cemetery...) It was a 2004 year model -- what year is your x485?

Chuck

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Chuck, I believe it is a 2004 also. Can not confirm now with MyTractor Tegistry gone. It is s/n just above when Deere took the service counter out of the lower left corner of the console. The clock, etc is still there but no switch to zero it after it is serviced. Tractor has about 600 hours on it. Bought from private owner with front quick hitch that I have never used.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Like the orange thing, Gabby. I had it's little brother, B6000. Great little tractor! Now have it's bigger/younger brother with FEL, L2550.

4421 - 4440 of 4461 Posts