Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4441 - 4460 of 4461 Posts

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've had the orange thing for many years, I think it is older than both my sons. It is a gray market tractor (Zem noh not Kubota). Pretty sure it has same engine as a 332 (3 cylinder Yanmar diesel). It is a worker but haven't used it in years. Time to get it some decent storage and a place I can work on it.

I am building up 1983 318 to replace this tractor. Probably a mistake because this is a CUT, not a modified L & G. Problem with this tractor is it is so light in the front and I do not like the direct drive (6F - 3R - 2R) transmission. I had a Johnson 27 loader for it but never got around to installing it bought the model 44 so I sold the Johnson. Now it just sits there and every time I walk by it I hear it whine ... "Pick me. pick me". Second time I had it running this year. Didn/t need to charge the battery, had plenty of fuel, oil level ok ... fired right up like it wanted to work.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
We caught a wild thunderstorm out of the Indian Nations last night...cooled things down considerably and I had to use a big umbrella to swim to the shop with my shop supervisor this morning. Cleaned up the used left rear tail light bucket, bracket and lens that I got in the mail yesterday. Then I pulled the 322 forward a bit and got it put in...pix below. Now I have working rear lights and waiting for a headlight harness from Maple Leaf land...web tracking says it's being jostled around in Toronto somewhere...forgot when I looked yesterday that CA also stands for Canada, not always Crazyfornia. Don't know why I bother with lights on these rigs...not like I ever really need them...strictly a sunshine operator.
Need to wonder out and check the rain gauge...was a noisy light show almost all night long.
JD322taillights.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts
Skwirl, .... A roof AND two blankets?! My dogs don't get treated that good! :whistle::sneaky:

Hahaha, who'm I kidding, our house is maintained strictly for our dogs and cats. At this time we have 5 indoor dogs, 3 indoor cats (including a new rescued kitten with a very bad feral attitude) and 2 dual-doored cats that used to be feral. There's 3 more dogs oudoors in shaded kennels that just refuse to be broke from their killing habits. One killed another of our other dogs (it is a pembroke corgi), and all three refuse to leave the cats alone. In addition we have 10 equine of various flavors, a family of fox living the dirt floor shed that we feed, about a 6+/- coons we feed occassionally, and various other critters as they wander by.

I can't get sent to sleep in the doghouse because I already live in the doghouse. We share the cali-king bed with a toy poodle, a doxiepoo, an Australian Shepherd, an Australian cattle dog and (normally) two cats. The other (2nd) cattle dog rarely comes upstairs and has his own doghouse in the dog/cat room (it used to be the dining room but we never used it as such).Animal lovers? You bet! Always have been. They take a lot of time and money but the returns are well worth it. No puppy/cat mill here, all fixed. Most are rescues. At one point we had 35 dogs and cats (not indoors) because we rescued them, they all found forever homes here and once we stopped taking them in they have been disappearing by natural selection (called old age or cancer). The amount of dogs we had with cancer as rescues was scary. At least a quarter of them. Probably why they got booted out or dumped by their (responsible) previous owners who think ---pets are great until they become a burden, then they are dead weight and worthy of the trash.

·
Registered
372 Posts
1755 Oliver versus my derriere. The tractor lost.
While doing some box blade pushing of downed trees at the edge of where the jungle and hay fields meet I was flanked by a large pointy branch coming at me when my back was turned. As I felt it trying to puncture into my rib cage I had to real quick slide off the right side of the seat while trying to get my foot to push in the clutch. The 3ph lever is the first lever I sat on and bent it well over because I have a 8" tall extension on it. When I bent it back it got squishy. Then it just came apart right at the console cover.

At least that was all the tree pushing I had to do for now. The last of six areas where fallen trees or just plain weed maples were encroaching from the jungle into the hay. I can't take the lever off the tractor without a hydraulic tank drain and top removal which requires a hoist because the seat is attached to the top lid and it's about an 1" of cast iron (it's really heavy).

I'm a pretty lousy welder...but I have a little 110v Hobart wire welder. What's the worst that can go wrong? That's a rhetorical question....

I can't use gas...it's too windy, so I'll have to use flux core. First I have to take it apart again to get to the broken part of the lever...

If it ain't one thing it's something else...never a dull moment.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
What could be worse you ask?

If you don't remove the lever and try welding it in place you could burn up the Oliver and then the shop. I am not a good welder and sure that is what would happen to me.

Gabby

·
Registered
372 Posts
All's good! Gabby, I have no shop. I could start a brush fire however in my dooryard.

I did weld it in place. 3/16" stock is supposed to use 0.035 flux core at 5 and 35 wire speed. That was what the chart in the welders door suggested so that's what I used. That was too hot and too slow. I switched it to 4 and increased the wire speed by 5 and I wasn't undercutting nearly as bad. But my mad welding skills were leaving a lot of bubble holes I had to go back to grind and fill. Fill em up, grind em down, fill those new holes up, grind them down. Did I mention I'm not a good welder? But it ended up with as near as stock bar shape as I could get it. AND it hasn't broken yet after moving large round bales out of the field. 😊

·
Registered
372 Posts
It's generally the same as the one about sheetrockers and mudders; A little mud and a little tape makes a rocker what he ain't...BTDT

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Finally got around to checking under the hood of the 430 for wire damage...had an unwanted tenant in the shop a month or so ago...rattus silvus...that decided to nest in the front nose of the 430 hood and eat the headlight harness. Got off easy though, that's all she ate...no other wire damage found under the hood this morning. Was afraid I was going to find the engine wire harness gnawed to pieces. Now I can concentrate on making a new headlight harness or finding one used.
Meanwhile I'm waiting for the same thing, 322 headlight harness, to arrive by post.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Son picked up new mower deck belts last night. Installed in the 87 deg. heat this morning and of course mounting it back up the deck was being difficult. But all done and can mow when/if it cools down.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Chuckv ribbed me a little recently for saying I was watering the exotic fauna in the backyard early, around daybreak. I meant flora, because I keep several beds of exotic plants around as a summer hobby. Anyway, after chores and b-fast this morning I got the real camera out and got a shot of one of our exotic faunas vising the patio feeder...they do occasionally get watered if they're buzzing the feeder when I'm watering the patio plants. Just wanted to share...my long dormant camera skills still work, somehow or another: Hbird1Aug3.jpg Hbird2Aug3.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,041 Posts
Nice pictures Tmac !! We have quite a few of the ruby throated hummingbirds out this way -- they are a delight to watch.

Chuck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Put the front axle back under my 317 today. Took it apart yesterday to see if I had any other play other than the axle pivot. I finally got tired of trying to keep up chasing the steering while mowing the last time. Had a good 1/4 to 3/8 of play on each side. got it apart, and it looks like someone tightened the pivot bolt before without loosening the two bolts holding the forward part of the mount, creating a high spot and allowing even more room for the axle to chuck back and forth. Had a bit of wear on the rear surface, but everything seems good and snug now that it's back together. Even took the time to install a zerk fitting on the bottom of the axle to grease the pivot bolt. Got to thinking though, has anyone ever used some bronze sheet to create a sacrificial wear surface between the axle and the pivot mounts? I found some 1/8" oil impregnated bronze sheet material online that looks like it would work for what I have in mind. Not cheap though, about $160 before tax and shipping. Maybe I'm over thinking it. also took time to add the roller needle bearings and thrust washers to my spindles. That seemed to take up some of the slop in those, short of taking it in and having it machined and bushed, I guess.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
So I figured out why my 110 was down on power. Since I restored it, it seemed like the carb wasn’t right. Seemed like I had to tweak it every time I used it, plus the bowl gasket would weep every once in a while. So I ordered up a rebuild kit. Pulled it off tonight, disassembled it, soaked it, blew it out, and rebuilt it.... still gutless. So I popped off the points cover, and rolled it over till it opened. Hmm, didn’t see it move... rolled it over again. Ok, there it is. .020: no. .018: no. .014: no. Hmm, I see an issue. Thanks to a brilliant hole drilled by the PO, I didn’t have to pull the muffler, PTO, or side cover.

Grabbed a second screwdriver and set the points. Yeah, runs like a champ now!:D

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
A stroke of luck this morning...the federal employee delivered my 318/322 headlight harness, complete with bulbs, from Toronto a day early. Huzzah. Took a short break from work before lunch, wondered out to the shop, plugged it in, passed test with flying colors, plugged it all up and the 322 has a full bank of lights again...front and back.
Gotta love those federal employees...
Found a good deal yesterday on four clean/used front hydro couplers. Got them ordered, plus O-rings...clean couplers and dust covers are the next 322 item. Looks like I will have to pull the mule drive and belt off at least to get enough access to do the couplers. Gotta dig out the PB and Deep Creep this evening and get the fittings soaking...gonna have to do the 322 on the shop porch instead of the garage where I did the 430 couplers a couple of years ago. Garage is too dark in the cool of the day and unbearable after about 9:30 a.m., even with the big door open. Dog days have arrived in Tejas.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Changed the oil and filter and removed the fender deck to grease the rear u-joint. I think taking the belly screen off and the mower deck would have been a lot more work,to get to the rear joint. 318 had 516hrs in 2016 now it has 603

4441 - 4460 of 4461 Posts