Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4461 - 4480 of 4538 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Checked oil, etc. on my 430...hooked up the pos battery cable, fired it up and went to work with it moving expired firewood out of the yard into the woods...one photo in the WITH your tractor thread.
Frank ran great...hauled 4 buckets of past using firewood out to the edge of the woods where they were dumped into piles along with some brush...new homes for the woods cottontails. Also pushed some brush around with the JBSR, then back to the shop for a clean and repark.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Fired up the 430 on Thursday last, put the back blade on it and cleaned out the ditches on my south and west property boundaries. It's a real workhorse.
This morning I decided not to water exotic flora in the backyard and drug my M-brand compound/polish and paste wax out of the shop into the garage. After breakfast I gave the 322 a spit-bath and clean-up, rub down with compound, then followed up with a coat of wax. Cleaned up nicely...two pix below that don't do it justice...I'll get some later with it outside, maybe with new rear tires/shoes, too. 322Shiny1.jpg 322Shiny2.jpg

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Works great, since I am a B-O-B, big old boy, 6'3" 275+...larger than the average bear as they say back home. The wood "anti-spring" allows the bottom seat springs to serve as a fixed riser, so the upper springs can provide the suspension. Works good without the anti-spring, too. Puts me higher up and further back without taking a chance on bottoming out the seat on the gas filler neck. Higher up means I can see over the hood and am less likely to bash stuff with it, higher and further back means my legs can stretch out and my biscuits-and-gravy lovin' stomach doesn't rub the steering wheel...plus I don't feel like I'm sitting down in a bucket looking over the steering wheel like grandma. Got the same set-up on my 212 and 430, using a 1X3 about 13 inches long...that's a 2X4 on the 322, because I was too lazy at the time to fetch a chunk of 1X3 and cut it to length.
Cheap solution to a common problem, but some feel it spoils the "look" of the machine. If I were worried about the look, I'd have my wife out there in a bikini doing all the tractor work. ;) Plus, I have 3 extra sets of seat springs just in case a stray without such or seat follows me home...can't be too careful.
20140529_181056_zps704f2ab7.jpg 20180405_174139_resized.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
I think that may work for me too, although I am only a smarmy 6' tall. But I tip over the scales at 325lbs (I lost 10 recently, not looking forwards to them coming back home either).

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Might try it, all you need is another set of seat springs and some nuts/bolts. You do have to get used to carrying your right leg outboard a little on a hydrostatic tractor...otherwise your leg will rub the hydro lever knob. Small price to pay however. The height advantage is a plus on the 212, because no power steering...good old Armstrong Steering. Makes it easier to get on and off too, I think...since you're not in a squat in the seat. I got all my seat springs on the auction site and the classifieds here on WFM...don't think I ever paid more than $15 for a pair.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Might try it, all you need is another set of seat springs and some nuts/bolts. You do have to get used to carrying your right leg outboard a little on a hydrostatic tractor...otherwise your leg will rub the hydro lever knob. Small price to pay however. The height advantage is a plus on the 212, because no power steering...good old Armstrong Steering. Makes it easier to get on and off too, I think...since you're not in a squat in the seat. I got all my seat springs on the auction site and the classifieds here on WFM...don't think I ever paid more than $15 for a pair.
Then there's the probability of having to lean too much just to reach the hydro lever. I don't fold very good anymore.

There's also the; I can't take my hand off the hydro lever ever...that entire system needs help from what I'm reading here. It slows going up a slope and speeds up going down. It isn't centered in the neutral slot when it's in neutral. It creeps. It has all those issues and some I know I'm missing. It's not jerky I guess and the lever moves smoothly.

I think for now there's a lot more I need to do to it other than raise the seat height. But I like the idea and I'm going to see if what I say is actually a factor.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Pulled the rear wheels on the 322 this morning, floorjack and two jackstands, one under each axle...jack centered under the hitch plate. The inside of the rims were really nice after they pulled the old tires off at the tire shop, wish the outside of the wheels looked that nice....rare, most times I wind up with a machine that has been slimed, or is just filthy and nasty inside. The tire guys were shocked, too.
Tires mounted up good, and look sharp. Glad I went with the All Trails, 23X10.5-12
NewTyres1.jpg

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Mowed the back pasture (wife had horses at one time) with the 140 It gets mowed every 2nd or 3rd time the lawn gets done depending on the amount of rain.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Rain? I seem to recall what that was. I haven't seen it in a coon's age though. Everything is baked to a nice brown color here.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Rain? I seem to recall what that was. I haven't seen it in a coon's age though. Everything is baked to a nice brown color here.
We've been getting some nasty tstorms last couple weeks with fair amount of rain so grass has been staying green and growing. Town near by had an ef1 tornado Thursday night. Rare around here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bush hogged the empty lot behind our house. Tired of unkempt weeds and grass, developer doesn't seem to follow his own covenants in our neighborhood build out. Hoping the new neighbors take care of the lot.

Bush hogging with the 318 was a blast!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
534 Posts
I removed the ballast liquid from the other rear tire on my 1755. Last week I got a real 120v transfer pump online and a water adapter for the tires valves. Today I opened the adapter package and unfortunately found the fitting did not fit on my tires water valve stem, so I had to use the small air valve fitting instead. That slowed things down considerably! Fortunately, this time was much less painful than my first learning experience. No ballast spilled, no getting soaked with it, it was easy. And the weather was near perfect.

I got about 75 gallons out of the tire. I wish I could find out how much the tires actually hold. I've consulted a few charts online and they all say something different for a 75% fill (up to the valve stem at the12 o'clock position). I'm pretty certain they hold at least 90 gallons each. 15 gallons left in the tire will make handling the inner tube difficult I'm sure. The transfer pump would not lift the bottom of the tube up to vacuum the rest out unfortunately.

I had to stop when it got dark but tomorrow I think I'll try some more to get what's left out of them. I know the tire today made bubbling sounds when I refilled it with just air with the valve at 6:00. That's a lot of ballast!

The learning continues...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Today I changed the front tires on the 318 to the new V61 five rib 18x8.50-8 six ply tires...finally! I've only had them a month...

I'm pretty certain that's the last time I ever try changing these little beasts again! Of course, In a fit of abstract brilliance, cough, cough...I decided to change them without removing them from the tractor. Wise choice you say? I can hear the laughing already,,,

The impetus to change them came because I went out and had another flat tire today...it was getting tedious. Of course I only looked at one tire to see if I needed anything to finish the job, it was a tubeless tire so I thought I was all set. Since it was flat already I just drove it a dozen yards to where I was going to work on it and the bead popped off the outside part of the rim...good start I guess.

The inside of the rim was a different story. It was stubborn but finally let go. The rim was still in shape so it didn't need much except for a good wiping down. The new tire...let's say was even more stubborn going on. I ended up using three c-style vise gripes of various sizes, three tire spoons and a LOT of Dawn dish soap (and patience, lot's of it). But it went on, aired right up, and hasn't gone flat yet. 😊

The other side. My patience ran thin, I could not get the outer bead to break with what I owned. So, I took it off the stands with the valve core out and drove it around the yard like a mad man...or more precisely, a man that was mad. It rolled under the rim, I plowed circular furrows with the rim, I shoved it up against the big tractor tire and tried peeling it off that way...nothing would bust that outer bead! I gave up and lifted it again to continue doing by hand.

Three things I found out; one- this was the tire I had filled with Slime a couple years ago, two- it had an inner tube in it, three- Slime works great! It had plugged the valve stem leaving enough air in the tire to hold the tire on the rim. Poked at it through the stem hole and got as much air out as I could and I had that outer bead busted loose in about another half hour...nope, it wasn't easy. Number four...I found the tire was glued to the rim. But I did get it off. But since it was a tubed tire I had to run into town for a tubeless stem. 🥺 25 mile round trip for a $2.50 part...

The rim was in good overall shape but it still had it's bad areas. One area the bead edge flange was bent outwards. I'm sure I didn't do this because the rust line showed it had been that way for a long time. Probably why it had a tube in it. Only the bottom 1/8" was holding the bead of the tire. It was an easy fix, I used the big c-style vise grip and clamped it to the bead bottom, pulled the top end over to hit the rim edge and whacked it a few times with my palm. I moved the clamp back and forth the length of the bent area and got it squared up with the rest of the rim in just a few minutes. Wire brushed the bead rust away, installed the new valve stem, and mounted the new tire. It aired up fine too.

The new tires came with new problems however. Two new problems and only on the left side. The tire hits (at full lock) the steering cylinder rod but worse, it also hits the deck and lifts it up even with it down at cutting height. When it lifts the deck the deck is pushing in on the tire at least 1/2". It's not even close on the right side.

Now, my first question is how much air pressure to inflate them to. I have 18psi in them now. I also have 5 suitcase weights on the front.

Second question- the deck; it's possible the rear draft arm is a different length on that side. The right draft arm broke twice before I replaced the front yoke and bushing with new. It's tight now but I'm pretty sure the welded draft arm is slightly longer, giving it plenty of tire clearance on that side. It seems that if that is the case it would be a simple matter of cutting the good lift arm in half and lengthening it to the same as the other side. Or should I try the deck leveling routine at the front draft yoke first?

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Now that's some creative tiring...that's the term I think. ITWM I would make both the draft arms the same length before tackling adjusting the deck...you've gotta get some clearance between the deck and wheel to make that work for you. The parts catalog might list the lift arm dimensions, or maybe someone here can provide that info or some insight.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It was much easier on my back I think. I just sat on the ground with the front jacked up as far as my floor jack would go. I figured if that's the way they did tractor tires...
Probably not the best way. The smallest tire I've ever done before was my motorcycle tires. Regardless, they're done. Live and learn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On my new 332, I removed the radiator to thoroughly clean the fins and flush the old coolant out. What a pain in the rear!! It was obvious to me that they designed the engine to fit inside of the existing tractor and that the tractor wasn't built around the engine. Got er done though. Looked like the radiator had never seen compressed air in its life. Talk about packed full.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also broke down the lift cylinder on my first 332. Gotta drive 100 miles round trip to get to my cylinder shop now.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

4461 - 4480 of 4538 Posts