Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4481 - 4500 of 4538 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Installed the new air filter minder on my JD 322, see pix below. The old one was broken around the reset button on the end/top, so it was sucking air. Found this online for about $38, while Deere retails it for about $30 more than that. Probably should remove the left engine side panel and check/adjust the carb mixture just a bit since it isn't sucking air. Runs a little smoother at idle with the new one.
s-l140.jpg

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
While cleaning up the backyard yesterday with the 430 and Johnny Bucket Sr., so the landscapers can wreak havoc bright and early tomorrow morning, I noticed the glow plug/engine pre-heat dash light blink on momentarily while I was positioning Frank the Tank for a straight run at backing into the shop. Checked it later on...insert key, turn one click right, glow-plug light turns on for about 8 secs. and then goes out, turn key to start and the diesel roars to life...and noticed the glow plug light didn't come on. Frank roared to life as usual though...
Went out this morning, read through the SM and started running the basic tests on the engine pre-heat circuit. Discovered the small bolt that holds the glow plug controller connector to the pedestal frame was loose. Pulled the controller and connector, separated and cleaned both real well...as well as the mounting point. Got the dash light when jumpering B terminal on the connector to ground, so I recleaned everything and tried the start procedure again. Wallah! Got the glow plug dash light back when I turn the key and everything is good again. Reinstalled the connector to pedestal frame and controller to connector and snugged it down tight.
It's nice to occasionally find a minor bug and get it taken care of before it becomes bugzilla and causes problems. Took me longer to find/read/decipher the SM section on testing than it did to do the actual check and fix. Even so, I'm glad the tractor came with the service manual...I like having an actual manual in the shop rather than trying to read electronic versions, which don't take too kindly to coffee stains in the making.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Today I changed the fluids and filters in my 318, the motor oil reeked of gasoline, and the Trans oil was very dark and original (I believe). I don't think that the belly screen had ever been removed in the life of the tractor (see pic). Also while I was under it looking around, I saw that the bolts(screws) that hold the solenoid to the starter are missing and that it is just floating in its area, it still starts but makes some noise that I am sure is related to it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That looks umm.. ...appetizing...
At least it appears to not have caused anything to break or lit the tractor on fire.

Reactions: Grant Baker

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
My 420 looked like that but add a qt of oil to it. Yours looks like it is a qt low .;.. Gabby

Reactions: Grant Baker

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Yeah, that's a nice belly screen harvest all right. I was gonna skip a belly screen on my 322 until I got under it doing other stuff and noticed how cruddy it looked under there...cleaned it all out/off and adapted a 332 screen to work. An amazing amount of Indian Nations red dirt came out of the radiator fins as well...luckily my schnoz was well north of the cloud of dust.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Decided to get the 1963 110 and 1968 140h3 out today to wash and wax them.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
I cleaned out my carburetor for the third time. Second time I replaced the section of hose from filter to carburetor. First time the idle jet was plugged in the bottom hole, not the side holes. Ran good after third time.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Got rid of that hideous thing that John Deere calls a replacement seat on my 318. I had a great pan on one of my 110's and a Hapco seat cover in stock and put that on the 318. Here's the pics

hpkW5YBnRISamjwWuSUk9w.jpg 9fsX9gq0SpyHVP8gjOTcOQ.jpg 645zGW05Q2eE4ec3YZDeSw.jpg YiEQJBr-Tw-3WiukhoC4Yg.jpg h3xJ4SCCQdKxVKpxjrPWjQ.jpg qkMYOCEFS_-J6KDyBhFwcw.jpg RbTpI_rXTs2jdrqe5d1lIA.jpg

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Did the Hapco kit include seat cushion? I have 6/10 of those seats laying around.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Nice work...I'm not a purist, so I lean towards yellow universal replacements with a seat pan drain hole...even though I never leave my Deeres out in the weather.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Yes Gabby, the cushion is built into/onto the yellow seat fabric

·
Registered
537 Posts
Spent much of today working on the 318.
Started with the brakes. They've been messed up since I got it. You had to almost jump on the pedals to set the parking brake and then they didnt hold anyway. So , took everything off to check springs, adjuster, shoes. Put the drums on, and set the adjuster. Then the linkage got set to where the parking brake now engages nicely and it holds to.
Somethings a PO does really make me wonder at times. The only thing I did was crank the adjuster up. They didnt do that.
Itd be easier if they would just tell you if something messed up, lol.
At least it was cheap, no parts needed.
Not often that happens, lol.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
537 Posts
Next I went after the creep. Removed the linkage rod, the hole is slightly enlarged.

I can fix that, drilled another hole.

The bolt that holds that rod to hydro lever snapped on me. I had to order parts this time.
In the meantime I coppled up a fix with a trip to the hardware store. Got a new bolt and a flange bushing. Got it all back together.

Started her up and adjusted the turnbuckle.
Took her out for a ride, still has a touch of creep but good for now.
The hydro lever assembly needs to be repaired next. The holes where the bolt goes through are worn. That looks like a real project getting it out, lol.
I'll call it, good for now.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Ah yes, linkage slop...oblong wear holes and broken pins. Nice work. The only thing more alluring on a Deere GT for me is manual PTO linkage mysteries. Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,499
Got the skanky 318 back from repair today. Yes, I was not able to figure out what was wrong with it. The guy who repaired it found a sheared key in the flywheel. He also replaced a number of small items to bring it up to snuff. Runs like a champ now after many dollars where spent. Used parts off the donor 316 to get the headlights working. We all know how important working headlights are. Unfortunately it looks like the weather is about to turn here in michigan, so I won't be able to paint Skanky until next spring.

I also found out that this nice 316 I have has a broken rod. So, I picked up a 316 parts tractor for cheap that has a set of weights and a bunch of other odds and ends that I can use. Im hoping to get the parts tractor engine running and use it in the nice 316.

I know you guys like pictures so...

Sent from my VIC-20 @ 300bps.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
I took the plastic wheel weights off my 318, I have new tires coming and needed them off. I have never liked the look of the plastic wheel weights, plastic anything for that matter. I don't think that they had ever been off the tractor since being installed sometime when it was near new. That being said I started taking off the left side, after taking off the 2 nuts it didn't move. I got a big screwdriver and tried prying a little and it still never budged. I sprayed it with WD40 all around the outer edge of the rim and into the studs. I still wasn't getting anywhere, so out came a bigger pry bar only to gain about 1/4" near the valve stem. I tried pounding on it with a dead blow hammer but still wasn't gaining much. So the next day the WD had helped a little and I got my biggest prybar, and with a lot of coaxing it finally came off, ruined but off.

So it was onto the right side, I took the nuts off and give it a little pry with the big screwdriver while tapping with the dead blow. Poof, off it came lickety-split

4481 - 4500 of 4538 Posts