Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4501 - 4520 of 4538 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Is that hard sand or soft concrete in inside that indestructible plastic?

I'm with you, I absolutely hate plastic products. Fuel containers being number one on the list. I just bought one this spring that's already poked a hole in itself! Weather cooled down when it was empty, it sucked down and kinked the plastic, when I opened it up I saw that that kink was now a crack through the plastic! $20+ wasted. No, I'm not going to even going try to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Seems to be soft cement/concrete

·
Registered
534 Posts
Then my guess would be flow-able mortar. It's just a mix of sand and cement that gets firm but without agregate it doesn't create any actual strength. We used it once to backfill under a county jail floor. It gets pretty hard. But it can still be chewed up with hand pressure.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Checked the plugs on the 322 after mowing with it the last two days. I made a lean adjustment to the carb after the last mowing session a couple of weeks ago. Now they look just right...just the color/appearance I like to see. Oil and everything else looked good too. Even fiddled with the front tire pressure a little...spot on.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Yesterday I put the bagger back on the X720 to get it ready to clean up leaves. Clicking noise from blade/impeller contacting a plastic part. Need to find what is causing noise.

DSCN1209.JPG

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
4,156 Posts
Been doing a little work that I can do with out having manuals yet. I'll pick them up on Saturday. I took apart and cleaned, sand blasted, and painted the mule drive and grill.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Did some plowing at a Deere friends place.
My 318, a 420 and a 430 turned over about 3/4 of an acre of old scrub land.
It hadn’t been plowed for over 30 years, and was brush hogged before hand.
It was really hard going, lots of roots from bushes and grass.
The Vanguard sucked back about a tank and a half of high test in 4.5hrs, [mention]mf135 [/mention] had less than a full tank of Diesel in his 430 at the start and didn’t have to refuel.

·
Registered
288 Posts
What did I do with my tractor today?

Well I started the day hoping to finish the 48 in deck for one of my 317's. Had to fab the front mounts and was ready to weld them in place,

but needed to run to town for more welding wire. (I'm modifying a 212 deck to fit the 317) When we left the house we discovered this tree on our lot was about to fall onto the county road. Another 3" inches of rain last night from Delta, (hurricane passing through) and things are a bit soggy around here.

So I recruited my son in law with his "Hemi" to help out thinking I would hook a chain to it, saw the tree down and drag it into the back yard. Well, that didn't work! Tennessee clay is slippery. Very slippery! So, the 375 misapplied Hemi horsepower didn't do much but spin. Then it wouldn't move at all. Stuck in 1/2" of wet clay! Get the "Johnny" out! (317) Lets make this short. 18 Horsepower from my Magnum coupled with the good old 317 saved the day. Pulled the Hemi out, and soon, the tree from the road where the Hemi left it.

Moral of the story is: The Dodge Hemi's tires have no more traction than the turf tires on the 317. Power properly applied is the lesson here! And the differential braking made the difference. I wish I had video of the 317 pulling both the truck and the tree. It was impressive. Although the technique I had to use I would not try with a 318.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got paint on the bucket forks and load lifter this week. Put them on for a test fit. Now I should have a much easier time moving stuff around. Or a make shift work bench with a piece of plywood and a brace under the bucket. Heres a few pics,

·
Registered
537 Posts
Earlier in the week I was working on the 332.
It cooked a battery on me. Boiled the water right out of it, lol. That smells pretty darn bad to.
So after getting a new battery, I checked the charging system. I found it charging at 17.14 volts, lol. Geesh. Did a search and found the info on installing a relay to get clean voltage to the vr. Got the relay in, that helped a lot. Now its charging at 14.38, nice, until you turn on the headlights. Back up to 17 volts.
Waiting for a new switch to come in, then try and clean terminals in plugs.
At least I can still use it to mow and leaf cleanup for now.

·
Super Moderator
3,562 Posts
Started my 1986 318 with a 44 loader which hadn't been started since last fall. Battery still good and started after a half dozen crank revolutions. Then moved about 20 loads of dirt from neighbors driveway as he was widening his driveway.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Gave my 110 a bath today, and decided to try Westley’s Bleche-Wite on the original seat cover. Wow, it did wonders!

Now to dry it off and give him a coat of wax.

Reactions: jd140

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welded the batt hold down and bracket together. Put it in the 332 and hooked everything up. The desulfator is flashing the red light, so it should be working fine.
Its supposed to help prevent the sulfation and then also the stratification that shortens battery life. Time will tell. Plus I'll check the battery cells for their specific gravity in a few months.

Still have to replace the headlight switch and clean some terminals yet.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Welded the batt hold down and bracket together. Put it in the 332 and hooked everything up. The desulfator is flashing the red light, so it should be working fine.
Its supposed to help prevent the sulfation and then also the stratification that shortens battery life. Time will tell. Plus I'll check the battery cells for their specific gravity in a few months. View attachment 260374

Still have to replace the headlight switch and clean some terminals yet.
Interesting! I'll be interested in seeing how well it works too.

Old school fix by grandad was an aspirin in each cell. I think it was proven to not do anything but nobody knew that back in the 60's.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Nate, I used Bleche-White on my 120 original seat. It did clean it up somewhat. I can no longer enter it in the ugly seat contest.

Attachments

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Speaking of seat cleaning...little while back I discovered Brake Kleen does a nice job on our seats, gets the accumulated body and other crud off nicely. Follow with some Windex or other glass cleaner, alcohol based, then Armor All or JD vinyl cleaner/conditioner. Never seen Bleche-White on the shelves around here.

4501 - 4520 of 4538 Posts