Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4521 - 4540 of 4607 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Bleeche-white is used to clean tires. Cleans the rubber but does not leave a glossy appearance.

1603137391712.png

Reactions: MiniHomesteader

·
Registered
587 Posts
I put a new headlight switch in, cleaned the terminals and the ignition switch terminals. Then the f2 fuse also.
Started the 332 up and it's still over charging after a few seconds.
Replaced the connector for the headlights at the batt. Measured the PTO, 5.3 ohms. Cleaned the ground cable on the motor mount to.
Tomorrow I'll try a few other checks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,523
Filled the 4x8 trailer with 30 bushes and the stuff needed to plant them. Since the 318 doesn't have a hitch, i hooked the trailer to the atv and drove it out to the front yard. I then walked back to the shed and drove out the 318.

"Why did you bring that out?" She asked.

I didn't understand the question.

I'm ISO a 3 point if anyone knows of one for sale. :D

Sent from my VIC-20 @ 300bps.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For what it's worth, that Bleche Wite also works pretty good for cleaning aluminum castings. I've had decent experience with it cleaning baked oil off of cylinder heads and blocks before.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Today I cleaned up the other ground connection and a few other terminals. Started it up and it was worse, lol. Throttle her up a little and it just climbed to 17 volts.
Decided to replace the vr and see. When I removed it, I saw the back of it was melted in a spot. Should have did this last week, lol.
Fired her up and all is well at 14.7 volts.
Now I can back to cleaning up leaves.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
My Cat 0 drawbar for the 3 pt hitch on the 322 arrived today. Got all excited for some reason (a box, a box!) and tried to fit it on the hitch...not enough spread to the lift arms. Curious...took another look at the photo of the hitch on the seller's tractor in the auction ad and noticed that, genius that I am sometimes, I had the lift arms installed incorrectly. Corrected that and all is well...my Homer Simpson moment for October, I hope, but there are 11 days yet to go. DOH!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Pulled the motor on my 79' 317. It's got the series II in it, so it has been replaced at some time.

Starter went out on it. I pulled the motor by hand and set it on a tool cart, then promptly drove to Rural King to buy a chain hoist. Don't wanna use my back on that thing again. First time I have ever pulled a motor.

Took off one of the heads, and the carbon buildup was incredible. Little oil in the combustion chamber as well. Finally got enough knocked off to see that the top of the piston reading .020. So this replacement motor has been rebuilt at some point. A buddy of mine teaches a diesel mechanic course, told me that if I bring it by they can measure and see if I just need rings, or something more serious. It does use oil, I'd say roughly a pint every 2 hours of mowing.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Gave the 430, Frank the Tank, a good maintenance once-over check this morning before putting it to work on ditches and grading with the back blade...aired up the tires real well, too. It did very well working, as always, and barely drank any fuel at all.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,529 (Edited)
Changing hydro couplers and hy-gard tonight. Changing the ports isn't bad if you can get the tractor in the air. So far I've only broken one clip. I should just replace all four.

Eta:
My new couplers didn't come with covers. I ordered some and they'll be here Sunday. Can I install the couplers and stretch the new covers over them or do I have to install the dust covers when the couplers go on?
Don't want this to happen on my watch!

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Those QC's look nasty. My 420 sprent significant time outside and are in same condition. I generally just replace all 4 so it is not a repeated issue especially when I do not have time to work on it. ... Gabby

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
The covers I installed on the 322 when I changed all four couplers went on after the install...don't know what they're made of but the keeper ring just slipped/stretched over the coupler outer ring and pushed back behind it. Think I paid less than $20 total for a set of four, two black and two green.
The problem I had changing couplers was a bent bar/frame piece where the couplers go in. Couldn't tell it wasn't straight and square until I started changing them. Inside couplers were a breeze, but both outside couplers took a bit of cussin/fussin...even with the inside ones removed. A snap ring pliers with interchangeable bits/teeth are a must for this job IMO...unless you have it all stripped down to the frame anyway.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Splitting ash from tree that came down from storm last year. Got two loads done so far. Break for some lunch.

Second load

Reactions: cruisin'n5thgear

·
Registered
587 Posts
Removed the drive tires from the 318 this morning. Took them down to the JD dealer and had them filled. Their using stuff called bio ballast, it weighs 9.7/gal. The tire and rim now weigh 116 lbs each.
When I add up all the weights i have and me, it comes to 952 lbs. I can fit 2 more 25 lb plates on it yet, then I'd have 1002 lbs of ballast.
That should keep the tires on the ground, lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Removed the drive tires from the 318 this morning. Took them down to the JD dealer and had them filled. Their using stuff called bio ballast, it weighs 9.7/gal. The tire and rim now weigh 116 lbs each.
When I add up all the weights i have and me, it comes to 952 lbs. I can fit 2 more 25 lb plates on it yet, then I'd have 1002 lbs of ballast.
That should keep the tires on the ground, lol.
That should do it! Just ordered front weights and a bracket for my 318. Ballast for pulling the neighborhood hay ride on my utility trailer. Pics to come :)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Filled the 4x8 trailer with 30 bushes and the stuff needed to plant them. Since the 318 doesn't have a hitch, i hooked the trailer to the atv and drove it out to the front yard. I then walked back to the shed and drove out the 318.

"Why did you bring that out?" She asked.

I didn't understand the question.

I'm ISO a 3 point if anyone knows of one for sale. :D

Ruegg is always a solid option. I got a rockshaft from a parts machine and used Ruegg parts to finish it up.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Yeah, sometimes in my zeal to finish a project the same day it starts/continues I don't stop and check orientation...still waiting for a chance to use the drawbar, should make life easier around the place when hauling stuff.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been there for sure! Hay ride for the neighborhood kids this Halloween is the plan for my 3 point/drawbar this year.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Didn't do anything to my tractors today besides use one of them. I do have a question however. What is it with left front tires and air leaks/flats. My 120 and 332 both have slow leaks on left front tires and my X485 that I use at my rural property has a major leak on the left front tire. Gonna take me most of a day to fix tires.

A PO has replaced the front tires on 120 and painted the rims. Repair will be install tubes if none. Tractor will be a general purpose tractor so 2 ply tires should be sufficient.

The 332 has mounted CTC loader. Think I will pull the V61's off the 318 I am restoring and put them on the 332. They are more sensible tire for a loader tractor.

The X485 has Carlisle Turf tires. I think they are 4 ply but not sure. I need to mow one more time at rural property so will fix the one tire and decide what to do when I prep the machine for next summer. The turf tires do not seem to be robust enough for my rural property.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,540
Loading the tires on the 318. About 6 gallons per tire. It should be good for around 100lbs.

While I have this apart, let me ask, what are you guys grounding the rear lights to? I've been sticking the ground under the fender pan U clip, but it doesn't seem right.

4521 - 4540 of 4607 Posts