Weekend Freedom Machines banner

4561 - 4580 of 4607 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Degreased and wire wheeled the spare steering cylinder yesterday. No leaks and works great. Gonna paint the cylinder section green, clear coat the ball joint fittings, paint the threaded extension rod black and put the cylinder in my JD parts cab. If I'm not going for originality I like to add some colour to the blackness of a vintage JD chassis and engine. Makes it easier to focus with some contrast added here and there. Not the same obviously but it's kinda like when I drop something small and can't find it. I shut the shop lights off, grab a flashlight and use it like searchlight. Helps me focus and usually does the trick too.

Hydraulic hoses are getting spendy and these are A1 so I cleaned them up. Wire wheeled the ends and I'm gonna clear coat them today.

Reactions: tommyhawk

·
Registered
770 Posts
I’ve found some of these small engines are a bit fussy about the starter gear and ring gear clearance. Adding or subtracting shims (and sometimes creativity) may be in order.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Cleaned up some more hydraulic stuff yesterday. The far left lever lever is really stiff so I need to deal with that. The valve body cleaned up nice and is ready for JD green. That will make it easier to inspect later if there's a leak or something. Black for all the fittings, linkages and the lever assembly. It's a bit of screwing around but I like that kind of task.

Some parts ready to paint. The steel lines are good. A bit of pitting but nothing serious.

There should be a bracket welded to the frame in the middle right of this pic. It was still bolted to the valve but the frame weld was broke right off. I have no idea how that could happen. Maybe it was really bad weld right from the factory.

After I cleaned up the goodies from the parts 400 I swapped the hydraulic lines on this 400 at the valve so the rockshaft lever works correctly now. What a PITA the fittings are to work around. The driveshaft is about twice the diameter as a stock 400 shaft (long story) which didn't help. And I also swapped front wheels a few days ago between this 214 and the 400.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Put the turfs and hood on my beater 400 yesterday. The ag style Trupowers are a bit short and didn't look right with the 20's on the front. One of them has a slow leak too. I have chains that I had on the exact same turfs that used to be on this 400. I also have a pallet with weight on it I can put on the 3 pt too. I pick the pallet up with my Al Z forklift.

These turfs are the same brand and size as what I put on the 400 yesterday. They were skin tight but the chains were from JD and were supposed fit 26x12-12's. They actually worked really good like that. I didn't have a 3 point hitch for it yet so I used 10 antique cast slab weights (25 lbs per) and angle iron to support them that I bolted to the frame.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Nice post, Army!
One question: How do you keep your gravel drive/turn around 100% weed & grass free in all of the pictures you have posted in the past?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Went prowling locally and found an "it'll do" generic throttle cable to install on the 212 until I get the real deal in the mail this week. This morning's install and cable search helped appease a cussin day in the garage yesterday, when I discovered the throttle cable sheathing had broken finally, making the cable almost useless. Now at least I can put the 212 to work if need be, until the federal employee delivers my parts plunder.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I use a combination of weed killer and a 'curry comb' type drag. I made the drag out of 3/4" plywood and pull it behind a garden tractor. My 214 and 110 RF take turns doing that job so the variators get some exercise. The comb side can be used to groom the stone and root out the weeds or I can flip it over to the smooth side and just drag it around to level high spots without digging in. Don't have a pic of it on hand but I could get one. I only have to spot spray the herbicide in areas where the drag can't be used.

Nice post, Army!
One question: How do you keep your gravel drive/turn around 100% weed & grass free in all of the pictures you have posted in the past?

Reactions: dbradenb

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Those cables are a PITA sometimes aren't they? When I got the 400 with the Vanguard the throttle cable that came with the SEW kit was way too long. So was the choke cable so I modified both appropriately. I also re-routed the throttle cable and there ended up being enough excess to make up a short cable if I ever need one that length. I have some spare lever assemblies I can use for that. I don't have a crimp tool to do the ends that go on the carb so I have to do them the hard way. That typically involves some cussing, then more cussing, then lots of cussing.

One time when I was restoring a 400 I ordered a throttle cable for it from JD so it would not only be new but also original looking. Apparently I wasn't paying close attention when I submitted the order because all I actually got was the cable. No lever mechanism for the dash. It wasn't cheap either and I already has lots of good cable (as my Lithuanian father-in-law used to say, "damn ting it is!"). I actually have a bunch of used regular cables w/levers stashed away and also some heavy duty cable mechanisms from diesel engines. They're like my V belt collection though as far as being exactly what I need goes. When I mounted the generator on my golf cart last year I only had one belt out of about 50 or so that would work for where the gennie had to go. It works fine but it's not as tight as I'd like and there's no more adjustment room.

Went prowling locally and found an "it'll do" generic throttle cable to install on the 212 until I get the real deal in the mail this week.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I worked on rebuilding a 400 steering valve yesterday. Gotta order a couple seals and washers and a snap ring now. Thought I had some but nope. There was rust to clean up in the sleeve section but not as bad as these steering valves can get. The spring is fine but the snap ring was broken, which explains why the valve wasn't working. Turning left was not an option. Thinking I might cut the snap ring groove a tad deeper. There's barely enough depth to keep it in place. Should be a hoot getting the spring and snap ring back in place again. Gonna paint the steering valve JD green and also the spool valve. Fittings and the drag link rod will be black.

The 62" TV/monitor is really handy sometimes. I have a laptop attached to it and I can display anything I have on the computer. Like the 400 service manual or pics of a tear down, etc. I could switch the laptop to portrait mode, stand the TV on it's end and have an almost 5 ft tall page to look at but landscape mode is just fine..

Anybody need a steering valve for a 400? The price is in CDN currency but even in US dollars (~$1,500) it's ridiculous. I don't understand why JD does this. Why not price them cheap enough so somebody will actually buy them and get them off the books?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Btw, the shaft is too big or I'd put it in my drill press chuck, spin it like a drill bit and use a hacksaw blade to cut it just a bit deeper. Plan B is to <insert good idea here>.

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Army,

Plan B: From the 400 parts catalog PC1475 it appears that the threaded end of that shaft is 1/2 inch. It also seems that the 'business' end of the shaft has an internal thread to accept the longer link via that adapter sleeve which is also 1/2 inch internal thread... (caution here -- I have never seen these parts in person and am working from the drawings and your pictures.) Given all that, it would seem that some sort of 'live center' support can be made for the tail end/business end of the shft and the drill press can chuck and turn the threaded male end. May not be perfectly concentric, but for a hand held hack saw blade it should be sufficient.

If your drill press does not support a half-inch grip range then an upgrade is in order... 😄 ;)

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
I wonder can I hook a laptop to a big flat screen and do the same as you Army, that would sure make life simpler

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Hey Grant.. Can you post a pic of the laptop ports and the TV ports?

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Thanks Chuck, is there any realm you don't dabble in?

I haven't looked at the laptop yet Army, and I was just looking on Amazon for a nice flat screen, thinking 43" screen if the right Black Friday deal comes up.

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Grant,

I have lots of interests and lots of mileage in each... 😄

My career was in video image compression and quality evaluation for about 50 years (with a little medical imaging and telephony thrown in.) in that time I have racked up a total of 16 patents, the majority of which are specifically video related. There are two important things I learned in that time about the television industry:
1: I was valued for how I could see, and not for how I could look -- a very fortunate thing in my case.
2: You can compress an entire season of Laverne and Shirley to a single pixel and not loose any information content.

These little tractors are a hobby for me, so I defer to members like Gabby and others on the board here that have had more career interaction with Deere directly.

For your information, here is a little Power Point file that I have used to document my checkered past...(and I recently updated the patent list for the latest issued ones.) It also shows some of the 80 or so cars I have owned and some of my other interests.

Chuck

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Trivia question for all you folks out there: can anyone name all of the 16 makes and models of cars in the composite slide in the attachment above???

Chuck

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Nice Chuckv...have you started recording some of the tales from your life on this planet? You should consider it...just sit down with a person who has some interviewing skills and record away.
Nice line up of cars, too. I can't name them all but about a third of them were on my wish/dream list as a youngster...only problem was I turned out too large to fit in any of my dream cars...even as a young, skinny guy. Oh well, that's life...hope you are enjoying yours every day.

·
Premium Member
8,185 Posts
Tmac,

When young and skinny I still did fit into the Jaguar and in the Lotus (English cars tend to have ample legroom...) but some of the Italian makes were a tight fit. The German models were a mix of snug and just big enough -- particulary the two cylinder ones shown. Bet I can no longer assume the full lotus position for a drive to LA anymore...too many extra pounds!

I don't think I have given away many answers here, so keep the responses coming. I am not currently the owner of any "toys" as vehicles and am down to a full sized pickup, a van, and two Japanese SUVs as daily drivers (all are all wheel drive, since I am not very patient in putting on chains for a short drive across town now that I live in the Boise area where snow is a possibility...)

Chuck

·
Registered
26 Posts
That was awesome PPT Chuck! I think I have a man crush now lol

4561 - 4580 of 4607 Posts