Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's amazing at the amount of implements we acquire that we seldom use, but the one time we need them they are worth their weight in gold!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Okay...got a chance to fire up and work Frank this morning...my 430. Used it and the Johnny Bucket Sr. to clean up and move a couple of piles of expired firewood laying along the inside of my east and south backyard fences. Took about 6 runs to the edge of the woods to build up some new nesting piles for the local cottontails and the yard/fences look great. Hope to get a landscaper in soon to haul/spread some topsoil around and grade/level my backyard. Then I can get some summer grass planted and up and growing before fall and winter arrive...that seems a long ways off with the dog days of August just beginning. JD430Aug72020.jpg

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Odd how my yard grass just lies there looking thirsty until we catch a freak 2" summer rain...then it goes to town. At night apparently, cause it looks the same during the daytime. Took a good look around earlier this week and noticed seed heads popping, so this morning early I got the workhorse 212 out and mowed the frontyard, sideyard and outside the south fence along the ditch bank. It never missed beat, ate it all up, cleaned up nice, and now napping in the garage until next time. Still waiting on hydo coupler O-rings for the 322...turns out the seller up in Michigander country has been on vacation...sweet!
JD212Aug2020.jpg

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I attacked the garden today. Started with the string trimmer(Ryobi, at least it’s a shade of green), then put the cultivator on the 110 and pretty soon I needed the 112 and a strap:oops:

As I make lunch for Mini-Me and myself, I’m starting to think about building a 4wd articulating round fender again...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I attacked the garden today. Started with the string trimmer(Ryobi, at least it’s a shade of green), then put the cultivator on the 110 and pretty soon I needed the 112 and a strap:oops:
View attachment 258857
As I make lunch for Mini-Me and myself, I’m starting to think about building a 4wd articulating round fender again...
I hate it when that happens! LOL!

Envision a 1755 Oliver buried that deep in mud with a 8' box blade on the back topped out on the 3point. lift. Nope, my 318 wouldn't pull it out, neither would the Farmall M. Or my 2500 4x4 Dodge. I ended bringing a 38,000lb tele-handler home from work to extract it. Then I nearly got it stuck too and it was four wheel drive!

Lesson learned...don't drive through a filled stump hole half the size of the tractor a week after three+ inches of rain...the surface is dry, the hole is a bowl of water.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Yard in town was long overdue for mowing. Spent all day doing mowing and cleanup.
  • Only got about half done.
  • Mowed the front yard with Poulan self propelled with bagger then mowed second time with the X720 to give it a nice finished appearance.
  • I am cleaning up some of the flower beds and getting them ready for winter. Tiger lilies are getting cut off and taken to city compost pile.
  • Going to dig up lilies in flower beds in front lawn. Lilies are overwhelming other plantings so I am slowly removing them. If I can get them down to manageable clump I will stop. If they do not become the garden I want they will be eliminated.
  • Garden raised beds are also getting cleaned up. Cucumbers are done. Squash dried up and did not produce well for me. I have a lot of tomatoes left but they also are not ripening like they should; bye. Peppers are coming on strong. Green and yellow bells not getting as many as I would like but enough to feed us for awhile. Jalapeno's, chiles, pablano's are doing well. I just need the frost to hold off for awhile.
  • Waste is being loaded into 80 cart and taken to city compost using my 317. Second time it has been out of the shed this year.
    • I have a leak on the 3ph cylinder that needs to be taken care of.
    • Same goes for Brantly power steering. It wanders all over the road. I have 2 or 3 steering (Ross) gearboxes. This winter I will overhaul one of them and install on tractor. Will also replace ball joints, wheel bearings, axle pivot bearing and bolt.
    • Tractor is puffing a lot of blue smoke today. I do not like that.
  • Walnuts are dropping in the back yard. This is the bad year for Walnuts. I don't save/use walnuts so I should remove the tree instead p&^%ing and moaning about cleaning up nuts
  • Would like to get yard sprayed and fertilized yet this fall.
  • X720 running good but haven't reinstalled bagger. Hopefully can get that done tomorrow so I can get back to work at rural property Sunday.
DSCN1141.JPG DSCN1142.JPG DSCN1143.JPG

Post is more suited to Gardens 2020 so updated is being moved to that forum ...

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Used the workhorse 212 as a seed packer/roller after seeding the east third of the backyard with a cook's mixture of Bahiagrass, Centipede grass and some bermudagrass. Worked like a charm, got real nice seed/soil contact and starting watering. Gonna do the same on the west third of the backyard tomorrow morning, mow...rake...remove debris...rake lightly...seed...rake lightly again and then roll it with the GT. Don't want to think about the water bill this month...watering in new sod on the center third of the backyard, and now two new seedings on either side.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It would be nice to have a water bill...I have a well...it's all expensive electric bill!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I mowed and brush hogged with my 318. I hit some areas that hadn't been mowed yet this year that had 10 foot tall giant ragweed overgrown there. Have to cut first in one direction to knock them down and then in the opposite direction to chew them up as best as possible.

I also cut a 150' by about 30' area behind the dry lot and in under a loose knit stand of old soft maples that hasn't been mowed in about two years. Went over that twice with a high and low deck. Found every branch out there. Time to sharpen the blades I guess.

Spent nearly four hours doing all that plus the yard itself. Not a hiccup with the tractor. So happy with the new pulleys and mule drive...I'd never gotten half that done with the old setup before the belts would destruct.

I should get a real bush hog for my big tractor so I can quit abusing this poor thing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Pulled the drag around the pasture to beat down the manure. I think I need to make a governor adjustment as the 400 was struggling pretty good. I was surprised cause my 140 doesn't seem to mind pulling the drag

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Put a speed up pulley on the 50:" deck, well, one pulley anyway. I changed out the right hand deck pulley from the 4.5" OD to a 4.0" OD. Figured about a 13% increase. I have been looking for a true speed up center pulley but have not seen one for sale. I chop a heavy leaf issue in the fall and I will see if the smaller wrap will transmit the required power. the belt is OK but a little looser. I also pushed the take-up pulley arm to a tighter position and locked it there with the adjusting bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Put a speed up pulley on the 50:" deck, well, one pulley anyway. I changed out the right hand deck pulley from the 4.5" OD to a 4.0" OD. Figured about a 13% increase. I have been looking for a true speed up center pulley but have not seen one for sale. I chop a heavy leaf issue in the fall and I will see if the smaller wrap will transmit the required power. the belt is OK but a little looser. I also pushed the take-up pulley arm to a tighter position and locked it there with the adjusting bar.
Hmmm, I like that idea. The belt length is a problem, an inch shorter belt is hard to come by.

The center speed up pulley is not inexpensive no matter where you buy it. Greenparts and Deere are the same price. Only difference is shipping from Greenparts. Maybe there's others that sell it, like on fleabay. I very seldom buy off that site so I don't know. I have seen one on amazon but that was last spring when I bought mine. Everything I found was nearly the same price.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Mowed front yard with the 322 and 38-inch deck yesterday. Mowed out back of the south fence and along the ditch bank today...mowed well, but good thing I had my Wuhan mask on...dust city.
It occasionally squeals for a bit when mowing, regardless of ground speed, F or R, turning or straight. Know nothing about the deck except it is used...it came with a 214 I acquired, restored and resold some time ago. What's the most likely culprit? PTO clutch airgap (set to .018)? Deck pulleys?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Belt squeal, metal to metal, or something with banjos playing in the background?

Belt squeal is obvious. Need to check all the turning stuff for good bearings.

Metal to metal or something similar that doesn't sound like bad bearings and you might be on to something about the clutch.

If there's banjos playing you need to paddle faster....

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Well, it's a definite squeal...doesn't sound like a bearing. May have to recheck the belt tension. It's not a Deere belt...it's a Kevlar fiber belt I got at TS because it was the right length. Rides deeper on the pulleys than a Deere belt...which now costs more than $90 because it's NLA/obsolete.
I'm surrounded by banjo players...I only visit the big box stores at certain times, never on a payday Friday...too scary.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Right after lunch I plan on putting the MCS519 behind the 212, sans deck blower, and cleaning the first light blanket of oak leaves off my relatively new zoysia sod in the backyard. It might also see duty as a seed packer/roller if I get to seeding wintergrass on the lawn edges on both sides of the sod patch. Need some more sunshine to dry up the dew.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The 212 with MCS519 cleaned up the new sod nicely and refreshed my memory about deck chutes clogging...haven't had to deal with that since I got a Cyclone Rake. Tomorrow the 212 sees service as a seed packer/roller after I plant wintergrass.
JD212CycloneRake.jpg

·
Registered
537 Posts
I got to use my new bucket forks and load lifter today. Both worked good. I wont be lifting a pallet of rocks, that's for sure. But they will definitely help out with stuff.
Unloaded some new to me stuff today.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts