Weekend Freedom Machines banner

61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Used the workhorse 212 to de-leaf the front yard and backyard...back on Saturday. I gotta put a sign/reminder somewhere on the CR where I can see it when I'm putting it all together behind the 212...it'll read NO CORNERS DUMBA**. Got too close to the big wood fence in the backyard with the CR trying to make a corner and now I need to roll it out, set it up and repair the top left seam on the hopper...where it wraps around the aluminum frame. Nothing like make work for yourself...oh well, the yards looked great thru Sunday evening and got the front yard overseeded to wintergrass. Now I need to water it and get it up before a second leafing is necessary.
20181229_125409_resized.jpg

·
Registered
587 Posts
I mowed a small section of grass today, it's on a bank and I was going uphill. I just wanted to warm the engine oil, so I could change it.
Well I found out the low fuel light works on my 332, lol. Diesels dont like air in the fuel. Yup, it coughed and weeezed and shut off. Pushed it over to the shop and filled the tank. Opened the bleed screw and got the pump running. Got it fired back up and continued on.
I was wondering if that light worked, now I know, lol.

Reactions: Randy-IA and lt230s

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Should have gone to work at rural property but had not begun to clean up my yard in town. Started with push mower/bagger on front yard and got yard mowed and leaves cleaned up. Pulled up marigold and coleus plants from front of house. Don't know what is wrong with the 317. Was going to use it to carry carts of cleanup to city compost area. Cranks but does not start. Added fuel so that is not the problem. Busy with yard work so hitched the cart to the 120.

Going to pick up some wheel weights tomorrow afternoon. Should have morning to do more yard work if rain holds off.

Reactions: Randy-IA

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We're supposed to have another week of highs in the 70s and lows around 60. If I get lucky and work stays slow, I need to get the 322 out and put the 3 pt sleeve hitch on it and take the little Brinly/Craftsman blade and clean/sweep the firebreak outside my west fence clear/clean. Just push debris further west...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Adjusted the 322's 3 pt hitch a little, drug out the 3 pt sleeve hitch that came with the 430, installed it and noticed it is bent. Hooked up the Brinly/Craftsman small rear blade and wasted some time on the firebreak...too slow, blade too small. Put it all away and made short work of the firebreak with the 430 and Johnny Bucket Sr. Need to try that on the 322 someday soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Turned garden in for the winter this afternoon with my 214 and tiller. I was surprised how well it worked up.
8F11E6E4-2E22-4E49-93E6-95A5074F08AB.jpeg

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Today I took off the mower deck and used the box blade. I sure wish I would have been able to buy those lead wheel weights! Nothing but spin, spin, spin! But regardless, I got stuff done. It's great that I have something for the smaller areas now! I got an overgrown area between some small mulberry trees that are too far into my hay field just outside of the border of the windbreak timber cleared so I can cut the mulberry's down sometime this winter. I'll drag the trees into the horse lot and let the donkeys gnaw on the bark, they love mulberry bark, but so do deer. It might help keep the donkey's from chewing on the barn. Donk's will chew on almost anything though, it's what they do.

One of the 2 dozen or so things the tractor needs is the hydro valve 'fixed', it doesn't return to center when I release it. That' will be a next year thing after it warms up and before it gets too hot. Narrow window there in Iowa. Really miss the thing I've never had...a garage or place to work on vehicles indoors at least. Something that can be heated. :(

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
What model tractor are you saying needs control valve service. Not done with the installation yet but my 318 post covers servicing the control valve ... 1983 JD 318 Cleanup ... Southwest Wisconsin

Simple winter project but you will need a heated garage. It is a good place to hide stuff besides getting work done.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
It's a 318. I checked that thread out, it's not much different than the remote valves I just rebuilt on my Oliver, just a much smaller scale. It's the getting to them that's the hard part. I need to pull the engine too unfortunately. It leaks oil something awful so that needs to be addressed too.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I tried doing one last mow yesterday to get rid of the remaining leaves and the blankity-blank corn husks. We love being surrounded by corn during the growing season but the husks are pretty annoying in the late fall. They don't chop up worth a hoot. About halfway done the wind came up and completely reversed what I had accomplished at that point. So I parked the 420 and did some shop work the rest of the day.

This giant maple always goes out in a blaze of glory. We have several of these plus a bunch of smaller ones and also some big walnut, mulberry and butternut trees. So my JD mowers get a good workout every fall. I use my air compressor to clear out leaves close to the shop and house. A bit time consuming but way better than a rake(!) and I have more control than a regular leaf blower. My 18.5 CFM Eagle keeps up no problem if I use bursts of air vs a continuous blast. I also use the 4 cyl tractor engine power compressor rig I have in areas that are too far from the huffer. Still looking for a suitable leaf/material collection system. A small one would be a waste of money. I need a big self powered unit for a 400.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Our 30 year old basketball backboard had become an eyesore and hadn't been used in years. So a few weeks ago I decided to take it down. I vaguely recall having used a good bit of concrete for the base and filling the 4" steel post with concrete and a rebar. My JD 400 with backhoe and loader has always been thrilled to dig out stumps, load massive firewood pieces, etc, but this time it met its match. Indeed, I eventually discovered that compulsive me had poured an approx. 27" cube of concrete calculated to weigh 1500 lbs. I could have dug a huge hole around the concrete, but elected to dig at one side and loosen things with the hoe. My son and I then hooked up a team of JD 400 tractors to pull the post over. The backhoe tractor had to watch from the distance as other members of the herd toppled the post and base.

After building a low, super-duty trailer to haul large wood chunks, railroad ties, and big chunks of concrete, today was the day to move the cube. Using some wood ramps covered with corrugated tin, the cube was tipped onto steel "skis", and a heavy come-along worked to inch the monster onto the trailer for a trip to a "black-hole" ravine. A fourth JD 400 got in on the action. This is the ugly duckling (but great runner) that I leave at a friends isolated pond for summer mowing duty--who would want to steal the ugliest tractor in the county. Mission accomplished with no smashed toes, and very little foul language spoken!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Our 30 year old basketball backboard had become an eyesore and hadn't been used in years. So a few weeks ago I decided to take it down. I vaguely recall having used a good bit of concrete for the base and filling the 4" steel post with concrete and a rebar. My JD 400 with backhoe and loader has always been thrilled to dig out stumps, load massive firewood pieces, etc, but this time it met its match. Indeed, I eventually discovered that compulsive me had poured an approx. 27" cube of concrete calculated to weigh 1500 lbs. I could have dug a huge hole around the concrete, but elected to dig at one side and loosen things with the hoe. My son and I then hooked up a team of JD 400 tractors to pull the post over. The backhoe tractor had to watch from the distance as other members of the herd toppled the post and base.
View attachment 261200
View attachment 261201

View attachment 261202

After building a low, super-duty trailer to haul large wood chunks, railroad ties, and big chunks of concrete, today was the day to move the cube. Using some wood ramps covered with corrugated tin, the cube was tipped onto steel "skis", and a heavy come-along worked to inch the monster onto the trailer for a trip to a "black-hole" ravine. A fourth JD 400 got in on the action. This is the ugly duckling (but great runner) that I leave at a friends isolated pond for summer mowing duty--who would want to steal the ugliest tractor in the county. Mission accomplished with no smashed toes, and very little foul language spoken!

View attachment 261203

View attachment 261204

View attachment 261205
You had the perfect paper weight for holding things down when the big winds blow across the yard! Alas poor Rockie I knew him well, he was the bedrock of good times for the family and friends!!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Excellent post Mr Wizard. I have pics of that backhoe 400 in my 'Special John Deere' folder. Considering the size of that basketball base and your common sense approach to things I'm second guessing myself for only using a cubic yard of cement for each base on my hoist columns.

Our 30 year old basketball backboard had become an eyesore and hadn't been used in years. So a few weeks ago I decided to take it down. I vaguely recall having used a good bit of concrete for the base and filling the 4" steel post with concrete and a rebar.
View attachment 261200

·
Registered
3,137 Posts

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Some experts claim the type of ingenious skidding you did there is how the pyramids were built. No pic but I still have a ~4 x 6 sheet of 1/2" plywood I used to move some big rocks for my wife when she wanted them moved from one flower garden to another and they had to cross some lawn to get there. It has a 4 ft long 2 x 6 screwed across the front topside of the plywood with a pull chain bolted to it. Biggest stone I've moved was about half the size of your chunk of concrete. I put the plywood beside it and either wrestled the rock onto it or pounded some stakes in the ground to stop the plywood from moving while I pull the rock into position with a 400.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Excellent job!

Here in iowa farm country they are called stone boats and are large sheets of metal normally about 3/8" thick . The chain is bolted to the bottom and is kept rather short so the front is pulled up off the ground while dragging it. Old car hoods aren't uncommon either. However, around here the fields have a never ending supply of floating rocks and boulders every year.

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Army,
It is always a great day when our tractors get put to use for a project requested by the other half of the family. Buying the next tractor is made a little easier. Your hoist posts are well anchored by those cubic yards of concrete. Just use a permanent marker on the bases to indicate: "Do not try to remove".
Harold

·
Premium Member
1,149 Posts
Randy,
Iowa City.
Harold

61 - 80 of 90 Posts