Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I got to thinking it would be nice to share with others something we have learned recently that others could benefit from learning. Let’s share and spread the wealth and of knowledge .

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ll kick it off with something implement related.

I learned the differences between a Grader Blade vs. a Box Blade vs. a Land Plane. I read a thread a while ago on GTT and did a little google search afterwards to see what the difference between a Land Plane vs. a Box Blade was and stumbled accross this video. I found it educational and learned about a Grader Blade as well.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
1 Posts
i need tknow how to solve the poping by carburetor cv 730 kohler twin compression 120 sparks ,32 new carburetor new magnetos in idle runs perfect but when apply load starts
poping by carb and loss torq i check every single thing but not thinking is the can shaft or lifters or springs on the valves please help thanks

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be a couple of different things but you should post in the correct place. Could be bad timing from a sheared flywheel key, could be a sticking intake valve but with high compression I doubt that. Perhaps you start another thread asking for help and more knowledgeable members will jump in with suggestions.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I learned the day before yesterday to always check that pulleys spin after tightening them. :LOL:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I learned that it is much easier to turn the two adjusting screws for the lower 3pt Arms if you lift up on the arms to remove the weight that pulls on the treads. I also learned the Gannon Earthcavator looks like they had an address here in California which is interesting because just a little while before reading the green Earthcavator tag I was thinking how Catepillar tractors got there start here in the valley of Stockton, CA. I don’t know why they left Stockton but my guess is the Demacrats and high taxes and expensive cost associated with running a business here in California probably had a lot to do with it.

Brown Rectangle Wood Tints and shades Font

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I learned that it is much easier to turn the two adjusting screws for the lower 3pt Arms if you lift up on the arms to remove the weight that pulls on the treads. I also learned the Gannon Earthcavator looks like they had an address here in California which is interesting because just a little while before reading the green Earthcavator tag I was thinking how Catepillar tractors got there start here in the valley of Stockton, CA. I don’t know why they left Stockton but my guess is the Demacrats and high taxes and expensive cost associated with running a business here in California probably had a lot to do with it.

View attachment 272698
Per my Cat history book they moved from Stockton California to Peoria around 1909-1910 (bought plant Oct. 25th, 1909) due to the companies desire to expand their market beyond the west coast.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I was being facetious about why Cat moved :p That is because today this is one of the main reasons why not only people but companies are fleeing this state. Everyone loves to grind it on Californians because of political agendas. My favorite is everything causes cancer prop 65. But it’s so true. Moderation is key but any one who eats fast food everyday will end up with health issues. Ok end of rant lol.

I think I have a hardback Cat book that comes in a hard sleeve. Have not looked at it for a while. Got it at a garage sale or thrift store or some cheap sale like that. Quite interesting. I’ll have to go back to the Hagard museum here in Stockton and get some better pictures in person of the early “assumed” Stockton built Caterpillar. I had some pics but my ph took a big data dump :/

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I was being facetious about why Cat moved :p That is because today this is one of the main reasons why not only people but companies are fleeing this state. Everyone loves to grind it on Californians because of political agendas. My favorite is everything causes cancer prop 65. But it’s so true. Moderation is key but any one who eats fast food everyday will end up with health issues. Ok end of rant lol.

I think I have a hardback Cat book that comes in a hard sleeve. Have not looked at it for a while. Got it at a garage sale or thrift store or some cheap sale like that. Quite interesting. I’ll have to go back to the Hagard museum here in Stockton and get some better pictures in person of the early “assumed” Stockton built Caterpillar. I had some pics but my ph took a big data dump :/
Who knows we both may have the same hard back Cat history book.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah we probably do.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I learned the the smallest engine problem will deter people from a killer deal on FB market place. That is where I step in.;)
That’s why we have so many cheap problems I mean projects :LOL:
345 was a cheap auction find for that reason, needed valve cover seals, think it was believed to be a water pump leak on auction.
Also a lesson that I’m noticing much more right now, free tractor really just means that it needs a bunch of work/has weird broken stuff (one thing after another)

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is my copy.

Rectangle Grey Water Wall Material property
Rectangle Grey Font Gas Flooring
White Black Black-and-white Style Line

Reactions: jd_joe and DEERE317

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, it looks like it might contain more content with more pages. My book is pretty thin.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,384 Posts
I used to work with an older guy who was a CAT man, him and son where restoring a 1920's vintage dozer. I have not heard from him in a couple years, I should check back and see how the project is going.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Back in the day Deere and Cat worked together quite a bit, to the point where Cat got it's start in hydraulics from Deere, and Deere pretty much bought out the rights to Cat's combines, especially the hillside ones.
I’m also pretty sure they also had a lot of dealer overlap before Deere really had much in terms of construction/crawlers.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Benjamin Holt made farm machinery in Stockton, CA and when he merged with the C.L. Best company, they moved to Peoria, IL because there was already a vacant factory in East Peoria, IL they could use, the Illinois River flowed through town providing adequate transportation and access to the raw materials from steel factories and also provided easy shipping of finished products. Labor from the Midwest and South was also plentiful. The merged company was named Caterpillar Tractor Co.
I visited the Haggin Museum in Stockton, CA about 30 years ago. Is the replica of Benjamin Holt's shop with the machinery driven by leather belts dropping down from the overhead drive shafts still there? I think there was also a wooden threshing machine of some sort?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Another bit of trivia. It's hard to boil down decades long machine evolution into a paragraph but here's a shot. The two Caterpillar books mentioned above do a great job to document the whole story.

Holt machines did not start out with tracks and the modern day dozer started out as a tractor to pull implements. It did not have a front mounted dozer blade until much later. The soft peat soil in the San Joaquin delta in the Central Valley of CA is very fertile and fairly soft. East Coast US methods of farming using animal driven implements did not work well in the Central Valley because the wheels of wagons and farm machinery would sink in the soft soil and in addition, the valley was so vast, mechanism was required. Originally, larger and much wider wheels were developed to spread the heavy machinery load over a wider surface so the machines would not sink. As the wheels got wider and wider and taller and taller, tracks evolved and replaced the wheels. As they say, the rest is history.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts