Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Mike, I visited the Haagen Museum with the girlfriend and her kids several years ago. I want to say about 4 or 5 years ago. I did not read every plaque describing what was what. I remember some type of shed or small building with equipment for making corn meal or flower. Don’t recal seeing the Holt shop but that does not mean it wasn’t there. They had old fire engines, hydrants etc, a wooden trunk from some murder case that was a big deal from the past. Lots to see observe and take in. We were just mostly passing time and kids were antsy as they all wanted to go in different directions and were bored with most of it “2 out of 3 kids have add” so not a whole lot of time spent in any one location. Oh yeah lots of old guns on display as well as native Indian scenery from the area.

Reactions: DEERE317 and Mike_U

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Another bit of trivia. It's hard to boil down decades long machine evolution into a paragraph but here's a shot. The two Caterpillar books mentioned above do a great job to document the whole story.

Holt machines did not start out with tracks and the modern day dozer started out as a tractor to pull implements. It did not have a front mounted dozer blade until much later. The soft peat soil in the San Joaquin delta in the Central Valley of CA is very fertile and fairly soft. East Coast US methods of farming using animal driven implements did not work well in the Central Valley because the wheels of wagons and farm machinery would sink in the soft soil and in addition, the valley was so vast, mechanism was required. Originally, larger and much wider wheels were developed to spread the heavy machinery load over a wider surface so the machines would not sink. As the wheels got wider and wider and taller and taller, tracks evolved and replaced the wheels. As they say, the rest is history.
And early track machines used tricycle style wheel mounted on the front to turn.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Best started with large steamers with ever widening wheels, I've seen a photo of one with twelve foot wide rear wheels. Cat tractors were also used in WWI as artillery tractors.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
I like the picture of them on the antler, cool!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wow those pliers made quite the transformation from all rusty to clean looking.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I learned people can be quite surprising and generous out of the blue and unexpected. Got a package today in the mail and have yet to open it but I already know I love it. (y)

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
Well, what could be in that package?? We are all just dying to know. And speaking of pliers, I found a pair of Cee-Tee pliers in my stash today that look very much like the ones above, so I will have to clean them up and we can see the resemblance. Plus, I just happen to have some antlers on the porch so I will see if I can recreate the Antler/Pliers photo, all in good fun.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Took a break today as I was a bit stressed out over a in court phone call matter for a civil case. I should be getting a little something something soon from an inherited tax lean property sale. By soon I mean within a few months. I still have to file the proper documents with the courthouse in Texas and pray my pleads in the case are favorable in my families favor.

Reactions: jd_joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
Black Font Rectangle Wood Handwriting

Asphalt Tints and shades Font Soil Road surface

Ingredient Food storage containers Recipe Cuisine Dish

The antler shed made a good prop to showcase the ‘checker dot’ pattern on the handle, along with the inside of the jaw.

As you can see, ‘CeeTeeCo Jamestown NY USA’ wasn’t visible before I stripped them of rust with apple cider vinegar. Pretty simple 2-3 day soak-taking them out each day to give them a quick brushing. Oiled and set them in the sun. There’s probably better ways, but that’s what I did.
Ironically enough, I found these bits, too. They where laying on the side of a mountain road. Cool what you see when you’re looking. And you can reuse the vinegar over and over, so why not?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I was looking in my pliers drawer today and what do you know. I have a set of those exact pliers with CeeTee Crescent On them. I want in the cool CeeTee club!

• Haha

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
So here is my contribution to the Cee-Tee club, I just bead-blasted these as they were also quite ugly. I think I may hit them with some gun-blue. My photo is not as good as the original, I will admit that I do not have a photographic eye.

Wood Hardwood Natural material Flooring Bicycle part

• Love

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think your picture looks great. Did you find that shed bleached like that? Some folks hang them outside. Whenever I find one, I end up searching for the other one for hours. Finding one drives me to keep going. Here is the first lamp I built with my son, table too. All just scraps, really. The lamp electrical came from an old 80’s brass looking thing that my father in law was tossing out. Lamp shade was $1
Table Wood Lamp Interior design Floor

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
The lighting makes it look whiter than it is, I have the 'super-duper-ultra-bright' LED bulb in the fixture over that island. I like the lamp, is the antler drilled for the cord?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Found another shed while on a walk, yesterday and took a picture with a Walworth ‘America’s famous wrench’ designed by Daniel Stillsen who worked for Walworth. Have fun!
Wood Automotive tire Gas Tool Eyewear

Wood Road surface Asphalt Mantidae Art

and yes, they all get drilled-mostly because I like the smell.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
That is a lovely wrench. I got a box of old tools from a friend who was cleaning out a relatives house. I should dig through it to see what interesting stuff is hiding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks, a dear friend gave it to me. I find it better described as well balanced. Consider Daniel Stillsen was born in Durham, New Hampshire in 1826. It’s been said he had a sailors penchant for profanity. Served on the ship of David Farragut-US Navy’s first admiral. Ever heard of Farragut Naval Base?
Anyway, like most tools he made the proto type out of wood. After being encouraged to make one out of metal, to prove it worked, he took it outside and tore an 1 1/4” pipe in half. Brought in the broken pipe and intact wrench and said “it worked”.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
He broke a 1-1/4" pipe with a wooden wrench??? That's a stretch.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
1989 318
1,420 Posts
Back to the antler lamp.....how did you drill the antler for the cord? Drill till you bust through then drill next angle and patch hole I would guess? I have long small diameter drill, I think they are called 'aircraft drill bits'??

I just went out and fired up the garage heater (it is 20 degrees right now) so I can look through that box of ole tools. I'll also blacken my Cee-Tee pliers and report back.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts