Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a '73 140h3. According to the parts diagram, the vertically down bracket that's welded onto the end of the OEM muffler is bolted to a horizontal bracket that in turn attaches somewhere with two bolts (part 2B, see below). There aren't any tapped holes in the side of the block for those bolts to attach to. Is the vertical muffler bracket a primordial vestige so that now the muffler simply bounces along on top of the heat shield (part 10 and photos below)?

Thanks!

Muffler bracket's bracket: part 2b:

Heat shield: part 10

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Vehicle Rim

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
My 120 has a different shaped bracket that bolts to frame. I put a new muffler on my 73 140 that did not have that bracket.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Neil, I apologize for stealing your post for a second.

Charms, I currently have the engine out of my 120 and that bracket/strap is in bad shape. Can it be welded? Should I add a doubler for reinforcement?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gabby (and Charms) thanks for your replies.

Gabby could you please post a couple of photos of your 140's muffler bracket's bracket and its mounting points?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Yes I can do that.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Neil, I apologize for stealing your post for a second.

Charms, I currently have the engine out of my 120 and that bracket/strap is in bad shape. Can it be welded? Should I add a doubler for reinforcement?
I don't see why it couldn't be welded, and yes a a doubler or other reinforcement is a good idea if it has cracked once.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
The 120 and 140 use the same mounting bracket on the frame.

AM34278 bracket (key # 3) is bolted to frame using the two right side hood support bolts. The strap on your muffler then bolts to the bracket.

First two photos are from my 140.
  • left side where muffler clamps to exhaust
  • right side where bracket bolts to frame. Better shown on the pictures from my 120.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Vehicle
Flowerpot Automotive tire Houseplant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

These are the photos from my 120.
Blue Azure Sleeve Grey Denim
Auto part Electric blue Fashion accessory Household hardware Tool

You can best see the crack I need to repair in first photo.

Reactions: shivelyt

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Gabby,

Thank you for taking the time to explain and post your photos. Had the draftsperson rotated Part 2B 90 degrees, things would be a bit more apparent to me.

I found a photo of a '68 140 which uses Part 2A from the diagram I posted. Since the oil dipstick on the K301 isn't in the same position as the '69+ K321 engines, that mount was superseded, It appears that the older bracket shares the two 3/8 in starter bolts. Mounting a bracket to the block would probably be a better place than the frame which might explain your cracked bracket.

I gather from your first 140 photo that the top heat shield was originally silver. Would a flat or satin finish be correct?

Tire Wheel Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I painted the the top heat shield on the 140. Not sure what the correct color is. I duplicated the color it was when I bought it. Don't remember what I used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts