Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 Sears Craftsman 7000watt generator with a separate plastic tank for the 16 hp twin cylinder B & S engine. I do not think I could find a replacement tank from Sears. It has a crack on the bottom corner. I have seen video's of using a soldering iron to fix, but it seems to thin to do that and there are 3 different cracks in a 3/4" area. Any good fixes that have been tried?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have seen but never used fairly cheap plastic "welding" kits on HF/Northern. I might be tempted to try that before resorting to an adhesive solution as if that doesn't work it will be a chore to undo it. And I say this as a true believer in JBWeld products.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would stitch it up as best I could with a red hot chisel or screw driver then scuff it up with 80 grit paper. Clean area with prep solvent and apply jb weld or Lord fusor 2 part to 2/3 sanded area. Then plastic drywall mesh and another coat of glue to cover over the last 1/3 area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can repair with sodering iron use old milk bottle for material to melt in if you need to reinforce usealumimun screen across the weak area melt it in to your plastic useing your sodering iron.I have done this repair many times. Good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts