Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to flush old stuff out? I read you can’t mix grease, and I’ve no clue what’s inside

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I usually buy whatever general purpose grease is on sale. Grease is kinda like the vaccines for covid. Any vaccine is better than no vaccine and any grease is better than no grease. Or old grease. There's nothing on a JD garden tractor (that I know of) requiring a special type.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The "correct" way to flush an old or unknown grease is to dismantle, wash clean, pre-lube, asm, and re-grease. Few people do this unless dismantling for a repair. Pump grease in until you see it coming out somewhere. Eventually, all of the old grease will be pushed out and replaced by new grease!

You're 100% correct that some greases shouldn't be mixed. Without knowing what's in there now, it's just a craps shoot! You'll probably get many responses the "THIS" grease is the best, the only one, etc., etc. to use. Polyurea grease is probably a little better than a lithium grease but as Army stated, "any grease is better than no grease." Polyurea grease was developed in the late '50's, but didn't really gain popularity until the late '80's. I'd think you most likely have a lithium based grease in your machine now. I'd go to auto parts store, get an NLGI No. 2 lithium based grease, and start pumpin' ! Bob

·
Registered
John Deere 400
147 Posts
Polyurea is supposed to have some benefits over lithium but it isn’t very common and isn’t supposed to mix very well. Will it matter in a GT? Probably not.
I use an EP grease with moly for everything low speed such as ball joints and axle pivots and front spindles. High speed bearings such as spindles don’t get moly. There I use an EP lithium without moly. Moly can apparently “stack-up” in high speed applications.
Yes, I have 2 grease guns loaded with different ammo.
I’ve seen enough evidence of what happens with some of the garbage “general purpose” grease that I think some manufacturers have “general purpose” or GP confused with “grinding paste”.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not so sure the OP is talking about the grease pumped into zerks for joint lubrication. He may be asking about the transaxle "grease". Don't we recommend an 80 weight type of oil for this propose? Just trying to be proactive to the conversation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not so sure the OP is talking about the grease pumped into zerks for joint lubrication. He may be asking about the transaxle "grease". Don't we recommend an 80 weight type of oil for this propose? Just trying to be proactive to the conversation.
I was indeed talking about the zerks. I use 85w-140 gear oil for the transaxle

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
We always used Shell brand grease when we were still working dad's land. And Rotella engine oil. Had to be Rotella. I usually get Penzoil. The general purpose grease I buy for my equipment works fine. Never had a problem with it. I stay away from no-name offshore grease products though. They'll plug up a grease gun pretty quick if it isn't used regularly.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I use only moly grease. It is far better than non moly and you can get it with synthetic or non synthetic base.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Is there any way to flush old stuff out? I read you can’t mix grease, and I’ve no clue what’s inside
I believe this may be more so true with Oil vs. grease. Oils have special additives to protect against specific fuel types, compression ratios, heat tolerances and types of metals being lubricated. John Deere makes a good Corn Hole grease, not sure if it would be any good for your application.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts