Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea what a decent 40 loader is worth in OH/PA? Anyone know if it mounts to a 445 the same as a 455? Thx, Bryan.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes, the 40 loader mounts the same to the 425, 445, and 455. Value will depend on condition but a middle of the road price is probably about $2500. The seller should include all mounting parts and the loader-specific relief valve and control rod.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Bryan, I seen a couple for sale in Wisconsin with asking price around $3000. Personally I feel that is too much. I have never owned a model 40 so members correct me if I am wrong. A model 40 does not have a pump, control valve, or sump like the model 44. I bought a 44 for $2700. I wouldn't pay $2700 for a model 40.

I bought a 318 quick hitch and model 47 snowblower in Ohio. Seller had a model 40 on a 445 with clamp on pallet pallet forks on bottom of bucket. The model 40 needed help lifting the snowblower into back of my truck. Tractor had enough counterweight but was short on hydraulic lift. My only experience with a 40 ... Gabby

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks flymo ... anyone have pics of the mounting parts, relief valve, or control rod?

Thanks Gabby ... does the fact that it doesn't have a pump, control valve, or sump detract from it's value/performance compared to a 44? Do you think it struggled with your 47 snowblower 'cause it simply wasn't capable or some other reason?

Anyone else have thoughts on a 445/40 vs 420/44 ?

Thanks,
Bryan

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Bryan, I know lift performance on the 40 loader is based on correct bypass valves being installed. I do not know if that was true on this tractor.

Other considerations you have to be aware of is the pallet forks moved the load further out in front of the tractor and the operator did not have tractor at high idle. Both these could be factors for not being able to lift the snow blower. I will tell you this. My 44 attempted to pick up everything I chained or had in the bucket. The only limitation I encountered is not enough rear counterweight to keep rear of tractor on the ground.

Yes, I think the 44 asking price should be higher based on pump, sump. and valve being features the 40 do not have. They are a part of the tractor .... Gabby

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found out that it doesn't have/include the relief valve and control rod. I'll likely pass on this, but I don't know and am curious as to what these 2 items do exactly and approximately what they would cost?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Bryan this is where I have to back out. You need someone with more experience to answer your questions. Good luck with the search and future purchase ... Gabby

Had to edit ... I have sssssome sticckkkkey keyssss.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bryan, the loader-specific relief valve protects the transaxle when the tractor is heavily loaded. Without it you will blow up the hydraulics and rear end in short order. The control rod, which is used to leg you push the tractor, is simply a different shape to fit the new valve which is a little taller than the stock one. Typically the seller would exchange his loader-specific valve for the buyer's stock one. If your seller is unwilling to do so, maybe see what Deere charges for the valve and rod and make him an appropriate offer?

The loader-specific relief valve has nothing whatsoever to do with lift capacity, which is about 200 pounds on the 1.5" boom cylinders. Several 40 owners have either shimmed the implement relief valve (that's a different valve) to bring their hydraulic pressure up to the high end of the spec range, or replaced the boom cylinders with more powerful ones, in order to increase lift capacity. Deere appears to have been overly conservative with the 40; the newer 45 loader uses 1.75" lift cylinders. However, you really, really don't want to be lifting huge loads with a relatively small loader - that's a good way to get someone hurt. Think of the 40 as a self-propelled wheelbarrow that doesn't get tired and you'll be happy with what it can do.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flymo ... thx for the feedback. So I was looking at the parts catalog ... sounds like we're talking item(s) #8 & 27 on page 80 and #1(b) on page 98. Two questions ... the note on page 98 for the control rod says to order relief valve #27 (AM121248) ... is relief valve #8 (AM882548) not necessary? Second question ... could I assume it would be safe to operate a loader to move here or there ... to load on to a trailer ... without the relief valve(s)? Thx, Bryan.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flymo ... scratch the question(s) regarding #8 ... I overlooked the "use w/out loader attachment" comment. Found the relief valve (#27) on jd website ... $425.37 ?!?! Ridiculous! Assume only other sources would be used-ebay or such ... Thx, Bryan.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It does not surprise me that the valve is so expensive, unfortunately. Does the seller not have the valve at all, or are they refusing to swap with you?

Yes, it's perfectly fine to move the tractor and loader around without the new valve long enough to get it off the trailer - that's what I did. You just don't want to do any actual work with it. One othe thought - be sure to budget / plan for plenty of counterweight. I always have starter weights on the wheels and when I'm doing loader work I'll add 8-12 suitcase weights on the 3-point.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Flymo is correct about the counterweight. I had two double notch on each side w/fluid filled tires. 4 suitcase weights. and my 225 lbs. That was barely marginal. Needed much more.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Bryan, I did a search on "John Deere Part AM121248" and found this post X720 loader relief valve question BW 15043 or AM121248? which indicates Deere part BW15043 is an appropriate subsitute. I cannot tell you whether that is true or not, but BW15043 does seem to be available and it's a lot cheaper, for example here: John Deere Transaxle Hydrostatic Relief Valve - BW15043 Might be worth some more research.

I did find an extra loader-specific neutral rod (I guess that is the official name) in my parts bin. It is marked M121509, which is one of the numbers that was shown as superceded by something newer on your page 98 above. I think I bought it before I knew one was included with my loader. It is gathering dust, so you are welcome to it if you can put a deal together for the loader and valve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts