Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have freely admitted in past, I have a 332 affliction. What’s a guy to do in the throngs of the winter on a cold day other than check (well maybe scour) the internet for a project tractor? Then it happened again– a 332 had been listed for only 53 minutes and it was located in the town where I live. The ad said: 332 for sale – ran when it was parked. The single photo of the tractor was dark (as it was in a shed) with (due to a lack of a better phrase) crap packed around the tractor. It had been parked for a long time! So, what else could I do but contact the seller? I told him I would like to take a look at the tractor asap. It turns out the tractor was only a 5 minute drive from my house. The trouble was that the outside temperature was -1 (F).

From the photo, the ad description, and the outside temperature, I knew that there wasn’t a chance that the battery would be charged start the tractor, or even be able to check the electrical system out or see it even move. So I took the charged battery from my 332, and headed over to see the tractor, wearing every bit of winter gear I own.

After realizing my all of my fears were correct, I installed my battery and turned the key “On”. The fuel pump started clicking. The PTO clicked in as it should. The dash lights came on as they should, and the glow plug light came on. Before I hit the key, I took the fuel cap off and smelled the tank. It was, well, just nasty smelling. After letting the glow plugs warm the cylinders, I turned the key to the “Start” position. The tractor cranked for 4-5 seconds AND PROCEEDED TO START/RUN! Absolutely stunned, and after letting the oil pressure light go out and the tractor run for 20 seconds, I moved the hydro lever. The tractor responded as it should. That’s when I turned to the seller and said: I’ll take it!

We agreed that I would pick the tractor up the next day, which turned out to be just as cold as the prior day. When I went to pick it up and got it started, the seller turned to me and said: I checked with my Mom. She said this tractor hasn’t been started in 15 years.

Yup, I’m happy with my purchase of a 1991 332 with 875 hours. All the 332 issues I have ran into on my other 332’s are present and being corrected. Yup, I think she will clean up just fine……

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Nice...nice score and nice catch! You never know what's lurking just 5 minutes away...wish my assorted finds were that close.
Shouldn't complain though...the fellow that I bought a 216, 332 and parts 214 from last year even loaded, hauled and delivered to my house... because the transaction occurred on this forum. Try explaining to Alexa/etc that it's all about who you know and run with...will not compute.
Post some pix of your new Deere when the weather clears...would love to see it.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
There are typically 2 scenarios for "ran when parked".
1. Owner had a perfect tractor, drove it into a shed, shut it down, and replaced it with a newer/better (??) tractor.
2. Owner got tired of repairing it or heard a "bang" and pushed it into a shed!

You found scenario 1! That's great and I hope you have many more enjoyable hours with it... as well as finding MORE to satisfy your affliction! Bob

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Lucky!
Yanmars ∞+1 - Gassers 0 :LOL:

·
Registered
Yanmar Clacking
416 Posts
Sweet find! Like other people have said, let's see some pics!😉 You can never have too many tractors!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the picture from the ad and after getting out in the light for the first time in 15 years. I will post a finished project photo once I get the ol girl "prettied up".

The largest issue I have found up to this point (other than normal 332 stuff) is the left front deck gauge wheel support.

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 318
2,976 Posts
The largest issue I have found up to this point (other than normal 332 stuff) is the left front deck gauge wheel support.
If that is your Largest Issue you are super-duper lucky!!

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
You have a great advantage here of nipping the known cooling/charging issues in the bud👍🏻
I'm not so sure about that. Anti-freeze in radiators doesn't do well after setting 15 years. But what the heck. Lucky you 332 Guy. Hopefully, you didn't take advantage of the dear old widow.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
If both parties feel it’s a good deal, no ones being taken advantage of.

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The purchase price was in-line with the other two 332's I have purchased. The one thing I have learned about finding a 332 is if you find one you might be interested in don't wait, you better get going right then!

As soon as I could stand being outside (as it was still cold around here), the ol girl got a bath. Then the fun started- a new battery, radiator flush/fill w/fresh anti-freeze, all the old fuel was taken out of the fuel tank and cleaned, the fuel pick up screen came out of the tank because the fuel line between the screen and the fitting had failed (like my other 2), the low fuel sensor leaked at the wire coming out of the fitting, new fuel filter and o-ring, new hydro filter and fluid (the belly screen was actually still on the machine but had been converted into a high -end mouse condo - complete with a dead mouse), new air filters (it has the dual element w/air filter restriction indicator), a new front tire, and a tube for one of the rear tires, and new PTO bearing. There was someone on EBay selling 50" deck gauge wheel supports where they left enough of the deck shell on the support to (hopefully) allow it to be fitted easily, so that is on the way too. I confirmed the hour meter works. Things are progressing.......

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
If both parties feel it’s a good deal, no ones being taken advantage of.
Not at all true. Some people don't know what they don't know. I'm certainly not saying 332Guy did. Just kidding around. And a bit jealous to boot. I'm the guy that pays too much and travels too far in the process.

• Haha
Reactions: LukeL and DEERE317

·
Registered
1989 318
2,976 Posts
I keep my eye out for a diesel locally, no such luck yet, kinda like fishing, sometimes the fish are biting, other times not.

·
Premium Member
1,687 Posts
The purchase price was in-line with the other two 332's I have purchased. The one thing I have learned about finding a 332 is if you find one you might be interested in don't wait, you better get going right then!

As soon as I could stand being outside (as it was still cold around here), the ol girl got a bath. Then the fun started- a new battery, radiator flush/fill w/fresh anti-freeze, all the old fuel was taken out of the fuel tank and cleaned, the fuel pick up screen came out of the tank because the fuel line between the screen and the fitting had failed (like my other 2), the low fuel sensor leaked at the wire coming out of the fitting, new fuel filter and o-ring, new hydro filter and fluid (the belly screen was actually still on the machine but had been converted into a high -end mouse condo - complete with a dead mouse), new air filters (it has the dual element w/air filter restriction indicator), a new front tire, and a tube for one of the rear tires, and new PTO bearing. There was someone on EBay selling 50" deck gauge wheel supports where they left enough of the deck shell on the support to (hopefully) allow it to be fitted easily, so that is on the way too. I confirmed the hour meter works. Things are progressing.......
Wow, you work fast. That's a rather long list. I would have called it a day with the bath. The older you get, the more you pace yourself. Or perhaps, procrastinate. :)

Reactions: dhager4692

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's one awesome find and a heck of old start cold start story! Just goes show how resilient these 3TN66UJs are. Diesels just triumph gassers when it comes to storing them with fuel in the tank. I purchased an '87 332 over a year ago from a guy who replaced it with a zero turn. I'm curious as to how old the fuel is but it seems to smell like diesel still. A 1/2 tank sure takes a while to burn through in these. A tank flush and filter replacement is definitely in store for it sometime this spring.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess I look at finding my next project (like this one) as a retired guy's way of keeping busy (or maybe out of my wife's hair). As I may have stated before, the best way I can explain my affliction is to reference Roger Welch's Love, Sex, and Old Tractors book. If you have the affliction (like I admit I do), you will think Welch wrote the book about you. In fact, I would suggest anyone considering, or maybe afraid to admit they "have the fever" to read the book. Welch will explain that you are not alone (although he chases Allis Chalmers tractors) in your endeavors for the next "project".

And now, back to work on the tractor......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.