Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
(332 guy) My addiction isn't with tractors, it's with making things like new again. I've always been that way but once the project gets to the point of completion I have no heartstrings attached to any of them. I've done it with cars, (drag and dirt race cars including Sprints) snowmobiles, boats, airplanes, golf carts, and of course, garden tractors. And on cold days, I'll putz with a computer or cell phone. I guess I'm the south of the border version of the "Make it Right" guy on Canadian TV. Come to think of it, I also built six homes but way back when I was a lot younger. The last two without any contractor involved at all. Almost went into the business.

I got the bug a couple of years ago to try my hand at cabinet making. I no sooner got a good start at that when my daughter who was in real estate in Florida came across a brand new condo on the fifteenth floor of a highrise on the beach. The unit had very high-end cheery cabinets which the new owner's wife didn't "like the color" of. So, for the time to take them out and a case of cold beer on ice for the remodel crew, I got a very nice kitchen. But, making it fit was an issue. So, I found myself not only building cabinets but making them match and fit. Now I have a shop full of expensive wood tools.

So, for me it's not tractors, it's keeping busy. I have no idea what's next but I do know I've run the course with tractor rebuilding. Yesterday I took the 420 out for the first time. That feeling you are supposed to get just wasn't there. After a minute or two of going up and down the driveway I parked it back in its spot, grabbed a beer, and went in the house.

In a way I'm jealous of you guys who can concentrate on one thing and still enjoy it. I seem top burn myself out quite easily. That book you mentioned certainly doesn't apply to everyone.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
To each his own. I understand we each have our strong suits.

There are a couple of reasons as to why I still like to mess with garden tractors: 1.) My first job was at a small engine repair shop (which is where I got hooked), 2.) I spent the majority of my professional career with the red guys, and then with green guys (I am a bit partial to both, but the 332 seems to have been caught my attention in the last several years), 3.) I don't have room for larger projects, and 4. I like to find these types of reasonably priced projects.

Here is a photo of the ol girl cleaned up as of today......I still have lots of putzing to do on it, so it will keep me busy for some time yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
That's one awesome find and a heck of old start cold start story! Just goes show how resilient these 3TN66UJs are. Diesels just triumph gassers when it comes to storing them with fuel in the tank. I purchased an '87 332 over a year ago from a guy who replaced it with a zero turn. I'm curious as to how old the fuel is but it seems to smell like diesel still. A 1/2 tank sure takes a while to burn through in these. A tank flush and filter replacement is definitely in store for it sometime this spring.
The yanmars are IDI diesels. An IDI engine will run on some pretty raunchy stuff. It's because the IDI has what's known as a "precup". Basically, a small pre-combustion chamber that starts the burn and then the flame front pushes out into the main piston chamber. The injector and the glow plug are both inside the precup in an IDI, as opposed to them being in the main chamber in a DI. A DI diesel is a bit more finicky about fuel quality because it injects directly into the main chamber. A DI can make much more power than an IDI becuase it doesn’t have to deal with the “throttling” effect of the precup passage to the main chamber, but IDI's can more or less run on anything from #2 diesel to fryer grease.

But don't try fryer grease in your JD!

With an IDI and old/bad fuel your main concern is the raunchy fuel not lubricating the injection pump as it runs. What results (if the fuel has lost too much lubricity) is the injection pump pistons score the walls of it's bores and shortly after, you're looking to buy a new pump.

Diesel tends to stay "potent" much longer than unleaded, But 15 years? That's gotta be some kind of record.

I would have put money on that being too raunchy to burn or have gummed up the injection system. Guess you never know....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I would agree. I never would have ever thought the ol girl would start, especially when it was as cold as it was. Like I said, I was just stunned.

The first thing I did was clean the entire fuel system. I now have a leak at #3 delivery valve that I have to fix and I have the parts on order.

At the risk of making folks that are reading this post a bit ill (especially if you are a welder), take a look at the first photo below. This is how I bought the tractor. I think I could weld better than that blindfolded. The second photo is how I currently fixed it. I found the LF gauge wheel support on EBay and it worked out great.

Other than "normal 332 maintenance stuff", the gauge wheel was the biggest issue found to date.

Attachments

·
Registered
683 Posts
That weld repair is pretty sad. Definitely not the work of someone that can weld. Lol

·
Registered
806 Posts
Crush washers, o rings and 31’#’s will fix the leak. No way to make the birdshet look pretty though except cut it all off and reweld it 👍🏻

·
Premium Member
9,192 Posts
332guy,

The gauge wheel mount weld cracks/damage is from running the deck in constant contact with the ground. The deck manual details how to properly adjust the deck height such that the wheels are at least 1/4 inch off level ground when deck is lowered to desired cutting height. The anti-scalp wheels will keep the deck from cutting too short in a sharp turn or over uneven ground, but will not be in contact all the time. I am attaching the manual for the 46 inch deck, most of the others are set up the same way...

Here is an image from a deck I got with a 318 that had been run in constant contact with the ground.
Road surface Wood Asphalt Tool Stonemason's hammer

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yep, I agree. All of the gauge wheels were toast on this tractor.

Thanks for the OM.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
You guys with other experience...Did other manufacturers decks suffer the same 'gage wheel damage' as the Deere decks? I think it was Simplicity that had what appeared to be a bulletproof deck?

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You said you have a bit of a 332 affliction. Just how many 332s do you have? 🤓
Could be similar to real "first love" situations. My favorite machines are the 200-series tractors, have two so far and working on finding a third. That was the first model GT that really suited me and works well for my situation...and still on the job. 2nd favorite right now is the 430, my sleeping elephant workhorse that never disappoints. That said, my 322 is vying for the second spot, too...need to play around more with its 3 pt. hitch and my rear attachments, which normally get used with the 430. I'd only have one model really, if the 200-series machines had come with hydraulics I'd be in hog-heaven...and would probably have four or more.
But yeah, how many 332s are you up to now 332 Guy?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It was not uncommon on the 44” and 50” decks off of the 50 series (1250, 1450, 1650) and 82 series (682, 782) IH branded garden tractors of the same vintage to have the right rear gauge wheel support weld cracked. The initial version of the front supports were just a flat looped runner on each side. After Cub Cadet took over, they added a gauge wheel at each front corner and offered a kit to add it to older decks. I don’t recall having the same type of front failures with the Cub Cadet design, but the gauge wheel height was not as easily adjusted as the Deere either.

As for the Simplicity design, they had (and still do to my knowledge) a series of rollers almost the complete length of the deck at the rear. The Simplicity deck has always been a deep deck to my knowledge. With that design it looks like a yard is striped after mowing. In my humble opinion (and at the risk of being stoned by others on this website), the Simplicity deck has the best cut you can get.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I have owned 3 332”s in a very short time frame. My first one came from about 15 miles from where I live, was a one owner, and had 820 hrs on it when I bought it. My second 332 was 475 miles away, was a one owner (that included the OM and the original bill of sale), and had 1120 hrs on it when I bought it. Both of these tractors were 87’s. Then I found this one not even 5 miles from my house. It also was a one owner. It has 875 hrs on it but is a 91 by serial number. Like I said when I started this post.....What’s a guy to do?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don’t blame you at all- they find us, right? I seem to have the same affection to 330’s. You wouldn’t think they’re that common but they find me. A 332 would be a sweet find around here though

21 - 37 of 37 Posts