Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm restoring an 83 318 that didn't come with a PTO. I bought a PTO off of eBay that allegedly came off of a 318 with a B43G which is the engine my tractor has.

The problem is that the clutch is seating too far out because it's getting hung up on the shaft key which seems to be about 1/4" too long even though it's the 25mm length specified in the parts manual. Do I just need to cut a 1/4" off the key or is there something else going on? Pictures attached.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Gas

Automotive tire Wood Rim Tread Gas

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Fender Rim

Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Rim Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design Tread

Thanks!

- Alex O.

· Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Alex,
There should be a notch in the hub of the front section that will mate with the short section of the key (under the screwdriver in the pic).
Harold
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

· Registered
2,784 Posts
Most clutches have the notch in the front section, but some of the earliest ones did not. Yes, if yours has the notch it needs to fit over the key. Just have to line it up right. If your clutch front section does not have the notch, then the key needs to be shorter.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alex,
There should be a notch in the hub of the front section that will mate with the short section of the key (under the screwdriver in the pic).
Harold
Most clutches have the notch in the front section, but some of the earliest ones did not. Yes, if yours has the notch it needs to fit over the key. Just have to line it up right. If your clutch front section does not have the notch, then the key needs to be shorter.
Thanks guys! Mine definitely has no notch. I'll chop 1/4" off the key I have.

- Alex O.

· Registered
389 Posts
I ran into a situation where I also thought the key length was wrong. The problem was with my installation.
Here is my thread on the issue. It contains some PTO installation tips.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I ran into a situation where I also thought the key length was wrong. The problem was with my installation.
Here is my thread on the issue. It contains some PTO installation tips.
Thank you for that thread. However, your bearing hub had the notch that mine does not so, of course, your 1" key fit fine after some fiddling. Mine does not have the notch pictured in the image below so it uses a different-sized key.

Automotive tire Gas Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system

I'm kind of thinking of cutting the notch into the bearing sleeve myself, rather than modify the key, just to keep maintenance in the future more consistent with the majority of PTO clutches.

- Alex O.

· Super Moderator
4,601 Posts
I think it’s needs the notch to work correctly.
The notch keeps the pulley section hub from turning on the shaft and damaging the crankshaft. In other words it allow the bearing to work properly.

Reactions: TempletonJDguy
1 - 10 of 10 Posts