Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Read Only
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I have been on...... and it appears some things have changed.

What happened to the link to the registry?

Jared

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
Admin decided we did not need registry and gave us advertisements instead. Unless you pay for their scam you have to live with the ads.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
For all the info/help/and how to's on here I would gladly pay $30CDN a year to get rid of the ads, but I really wish they would address the registry.

Jared, glad to have you back,hope you are planning on staying awhile.

·
Administrator
6,102 Posts
I have to ping the vs admins about this, but they have been silent on it. Most of us who have been WFM members for a while, know the value of the registry - I don't think the vs people do.

·
Read Only
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't say as I understand why the registry would be gone...... It still has to exist somewhere right?

What's up with all of these stupid ads? I'm not in the market for a new Volvo.... and never will be.

The old format was easier to use and understand also. It was also more John Deere styled.

I picked up a 68 110 Hydraulic lift, so now I have all 3 GT offerings from 1968. I wanted to see where the serial number fell in the registry.

Anyone know of another GT forum that has access to the registry?

Jared

·
Registered
391 Posts
What happened to the registry is the site moved to a new forum host/software, which doesn’t support the registry. Nothing sinister about it, just moving off of the forum software that was used since the early 2010’s (and technology and security have changed greatly since then) And for the ads, servers aren’t cheap to run and maintain (and there is at least one party having to make money in there.)

·
Read Only
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The problem I see with the forum moving to a new host/owner/whatever is that now the forum looks identical to every other garden tractor based forum that currently exists. It's a perfect copy/paste, the only thing that changes is the logo.

This is a sad development in my opinion. The old WFM site was green and yellow and homey and familiar because it stood out from all of the other sites. Not to mention the registry is now lost forever, and I can't begin to fathom how much time went into creating it and the numerous members that contributed. It's also sad that it appears it was done for no other reason than money.

I still have my collection of 35 something vintage JD GT's, with a couple more joining the stable tomorrow when I get home from Oregon. When I picked up a new tractor I would always update the registry and now the joy of that (apparently insignificant thing) is gone.

I don't see any reason to come back to the site anymore..... if it's not unique, then what's the point?

You guys take care, it was fun while it was what it used to be..... and it used to be better.

Jared

·
Registered
391 Posts
Pros and cons to being on a unique website are numerable, in every sector from security to experience. But if what WFM relies on is its website to be special...
To me at least what makes WFM special is the people who are members. But we all have opinions and I’m sure that other forums have awesome members to.

I also suspect the old site was a long ways from being up to date on security, and many of us aren’t fans of viruses.
I would guess that the registry isn’t truly gone, just sitting unloved on VS’s hard drives somewhere in the old sites data file. (If not there’s some other problems there)
VS’s unresponsiveness on some issues that have been brought up months ago have gotten annoying though.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
If VS really cared one iota about this site they would have put pictures of garden tractors on the header rather than farm tractors

·
Registered
391 Posts
That and some sort of a registry, even if it was a pain to use.

·
Administrator
6,102 Posts
The old, old site was done on software that hasn't bee supported for over 10 years. The IHC Cub Cadet site used it until the last year also. Since that software wasn't supported the owner of the IHC site and our founders here had to make any fix that needed, since it was prone to crashed. Did I like the old site? Yes, but it was too old, didn't have software support, and was too shaky to use any more.

The owners of WFM, vs, also owns MTF, GTT, and a few other sites - they probably don't know that WFM is a l&G site, and only can relate to farm tractors. Sad, but probably true.

·
Premium Member
4,215 Posts
The almighty advertising dollar is their interest. In todays world of technology somebody out there somewhere can and likely with just a few key strokes can manipulate the old registry technology to new technology, if they really wanted to. Other than that we will continue to rely on the information from each other on WFM, which keeps me coming back everyday.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but does VS own WFM or does someone else?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well that’s nice... no wonder they don’t care about us, it’s not like we can threaten to leave.

And I shouldn’t be surprised when my account vanishes into thin air... Better start rereading 1984 and Animal Farm...

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
It’s hard to make an argument to members here about something old and not worth putting money into anymore...I find it funny that I didn’t have any problems with redirects or viruses until the new layout...
We all know they have to be making way more money now with all the irritating full page advertisements that keep popping up.

·
Registered
391 Posts
It’s hard to make an argument to members here about something old and not worth putting money into anymore...I find it funny that I didn’t have any problems with redirects or viruses until the new layout...
We all know they have to be making way more money now with all the irritating full page advertisements that keep popping up.
And is it me or did they hold off on the full page ads (which are pains on mobile) for a few months before throwing them in?

·
Registered
185 Posts
use my phone with an add blocker. I see zero ads and have yet to be redirected. Maybe its different on a computer?
^ This. I see zero ads on my iPhone with adblocker free app. WFM never really had a lot of ads, but MTF was unviewable. I “won” 🙄so many free Amazon/Walmart gift cards it was stupid. Like after three page clicks the prize spin wheel and about 15 redirects would sour me. Not anymore. On my laptop I use Firefox with Adblock extension and I am sure there is equal plugins for Chrome. 👍🏼

1 - 20 of 29 Posts