Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1981 - 1995 of 1995 Posts

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I bought a 420 and a 400 a week or so apart recently after not adding to or selling anything in my JD herd for over 5 years. Unless you count the 111 my dad gave me. Blew the electric clutch when I tried to use it (just fer fun) and it's been sitting behind the shed ever since. I have the deck stashed in the shed. It's in pretty good shape. I also inherited the L100 that I bought brand new in 2005 from Home Depot. I sold it to my dad after only putting a couple tanks of gas through it and deciding it was not gonna be able to handle my 3 acre plot. So then dad proceeded to prove me wrong and mowed his 2 acres of grass with it for 10 years. That little Deere never let him down the whole time except for requiring 1 new battery and 1 new deck belt. Don't let anybody tell you the L series won't last. They will unless they're badly treated. That's true for every model but the JD's sold by big box stores (like Home Depot) are not made to absorb much abuse. But be good to an L and it will go the distance. I'm using the one I got back from dad now to mow the front yard. Does a really nice job too.

400 with a Vanguard 23 HP..

420 with a Vanguard 23 HP..

Brand new 15 years ago.. the L100 decals fell off about a week after I bought it, which definitely did not increase my confidence level in it.

As it sits today.. but full disclosure: After I got it back I sand blasted the deck and put all new spindles and pullies on it. Wasn't rusty, just had peeling paint and the parts that rotate were pretty worn. I calculated it has mowed 400 acres since it was new (2 acres once a week for 20 weeks a year and 10 years of doing it). And that ain't bad at all.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I actually go Deere hunting every morning on the internet while I have my morning coffee. I mostly use www.kijiji.ca. It's the Canadian version of Craig's list but a better format. I use eBay too and a Facebook marketplace for my area. Every so often I buy something I wasn't actually looking for but that's a risk I have to take so I can keep up with prices and what's to be had out there. I check out tractors in general, classic cars, golf carts and a few other categories too.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Same here. I do a quick local scan of CL to see what shows up pretty much every day. Typical to find tractors/attachments but not parts unless I find a parts tractor. That is seldom as we have scrappers in our area who scoop up these parts tractors in a hurry.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Just about to start today's hunt. I have zero room for anything so I just I pretend I do. Same situation around here for parts tractors. I bought my latest 400 to get the Vanguard engine and kit that was from SEW. The rest of the tractor is gravy. Deck is junk but the spindles and gearbox are good. Spindle pullies are mighty thin though. The belt was a joke. It was billed as a working machine, which it technically was ..but just barely.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
With the currency exchange you Yankee boys could get this for about $4,500 US but it would still too much $ for me. The $6,500 Canadian currency price tag is just plain silly. I could get a 650 with a loader (or maybe a beat up 750) for that much if I was looking at the right page at the right time. At that price a 650/750 would likely need some work though. I had a Brantly loader on a 400 and sold it. Was basically a motorized wheelbarrow but still very handy. Was low on parking space at the time and I wish I had it back now. I'd still prefer a small CUT though. John Deere Loader 332 | Heavy Equipment | London | Kijiji

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Correction... '$6,750 price tag'

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Even at $4750 (USD) kind a pricey for me. Looks like a model 44 loader which is primo over CTC I own but I will leave it for another member.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Looks like he's selling a 430 too. Even in CDN dollars he's way too high. Some sellers don't look to see what else a buyer could get for the same money and end up reducing their price till it's down to where it should be. And by then some buyers are scared off because it's been for sale for a while. Since there's no FWD the front wheels on this would be better if they were reversed. That's what we did in the winter for road graders that had ag tires on the front. Turned better that way. JOHN DEERE 430 WITH CAB, snowblower | Heavy Equipment | London | Kijiji

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Only thing I saw appealing in local CL was a Deere compact tractor front weight hitch for $125. Held 9 suitcase weights.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The wife actually found the pair I bagged this weekend. Had to be a package deal, but the price was right.

L110 with no hood or seat, "should run with a battery" and a mower deck

314 , has severe slop where the driveshaft attaches to the flywheel, and I am guessing a broken crank or rod. But with the weights and deck, it is worth more than I paid.

Will most likely part out the L110 and drop a 16hp Vanguard in the 314 that has been in the corner of my shop for too long. This will be my first venture into hydrostatic drives....

Nevermind the mess behind the tractors, too many projects as I am wrapping things up getting ready for the snow.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
The 314 looks great

·
Registered
380 Posts
Have it’s big brother (317) and you’ll like it.

Edit: Just realized that this thread has gotten to page 100!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Have both 314/317. Both are wonderful tractors. 314 can easily upgraded to H2 and dual brakes. The tractors are pretty much identical except for engine.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Got this old 55v yesterday, the motor is free but I haven't tried starting it yet. It cleaned up real good though if it becomes a wall hanger

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I had a mini one of those I bought at an auction for $0.25; yes that is one quarter. Engine had compression but parts were not available. When I sold my 185 with 46" deck, bagger, and snow thrower buyer kept bugging me for a discount. I gave him the saw.

Reactions: Grant Baker
1981 - 1995 of 1995 Posts