Weekend Freedom Machines banner

2101 - 2120 of 2143 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I got a newer (2000s) JD given to me last night its still at my neighbors place though.

Reactions: Cohee and lt230s

·
Registered
1989 318
630 Posts
I have not had anyone 'give' me a JD, especially a 2000 vintage, I always have to trade cash for stuff. I am going to blame the JD dealer down the road on my addiction, they are constantly parading yellow/green tractors past my house. Honest Your Honor, I swear I am telling the truth.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Not including inheriting stuff, the only freebie garden tractor I ever had was a 104 Cub Cadet from a work buddy. It started and ran really well but the shifter spun around in a circle and didn't seem to be attached to anything.

The guy who gave it to me thought it was a 4 speed with granny low so that's how I advertised it a few years later. It was worth what I wanted just for the Kohler engine. I also said in the ad that the shifter was wonky and I made it clear I wasn't sure what it actually was. So some guy came beagling here from 100 miles away and was mad when he arrived and realized it was just a 3 speed. I don't recall how but he could tell by looking at it. He was being dickish about it which I don't tolerate at all, especially on my home turf. So to paraphrase myself.. I said you thought you were gonna swoop in and scoop up a valuable old Cub dirt cheap without me know the actual value and now you're mad? Two choices. Leave immediately.. or buy the 104 at advertised price and then leave immediately. Either way knock it off with the attitude. So he shut up and bought it and left.

I love a happy ending. :p

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Guys like that often shoot themselves in the foot with jerk behaviour like that. I probably would have tossed something else in the deal if he hadn't been a dink. I'm pretty easy going and I had a guy throw in enough 200 series parts to almost build another tractor on one occasion. Sugar is always better than vinegar unless you're buying fries.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Larry, Moe and Curly Joe made it to my casa here in NE Tejas, just south of the Indian Nations, this morning before Noon. Thanks to generous Jeff, aka jsokoly, on this forum. He trailered these three GTs from his home near Ft. Worth to my home for a reasonable fee, plus some gas money. And a really nice fellow to boot.
We used my 322 with drawbar and tow strap to unload the trailer and pull the new gang into my backyard, where we parked them up against the big wood west fence. Here are a few pix, below. Plan to redo the 216 first, then the 322, then explore the potential of the 214...should keep me busy for a year or so, at the methodical pace I work on things.
The cart was a bonus, and three decks to boot...a 38-inch, 2-blade, wider deck for a 200-series, and 40-something inch deck for the 322.
Many thanks again to Jeff...hope you had a good trip home sir. Overall, spent less than $900...equipment/delivery/gas for Jeff.

216A.jpg 214AL.jpg
332BL.jpg Model10CartDecks.jpg
HerdLMJ.jpg

·
Registered
762 Posts
Nice additions, Tmac.
Looking forward to your fix up threads on them.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I thought one of those was a 332 not a 322. If 332 it should or might have a red fuel cap.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It's a 332.

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Man the mower and garden tractor ads are everywhere now that spring has sprung. Lots of stupid prices too. One example is a 212 JD with a baffed out deck and a snow thrower. It's kinda rough too. He wants 4 grand. Whatever dude.

Not including inheriting stuff, the only freebie garden tractor I ever had was a 104 Cub Cadet from a work buddy.
I completely forgot about the Sears mower another buddy gave me. Wouldn't run. Turned out to be a $40 ignition module. I used it occasionally one summer for the front yard and it did a nice job, but I had a storage issue so I gave it to my brother. He gave it to his son who then gave him back to when they bought a house that they didn't need a rider for. There's enough room under the hood of one of these Craftsman mowers for a family of 4 to live comfortably. Kidding but there's definitely a lot of empty space.

·
Registered
762 Posts
A 212 for 4k?
That guy must have looked up the original new price and is using that. Or he doesnt want to sell it.
I should check my cl around here, been a while since I did.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I’d take 4K for any of my stuff. 😂

·
Registered
10 Posts
Survey question for the members

What factors are most critical in relation to a purchase - need (ha), opportunity, expense, distance, condition?

How often do use other sources to find items beyond WFM?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
That's a tuff one! That ALL depends on the individual. Some people don't mind spending $1000 on a $500 tractor, or driving 600 miles for a fair priced tractor. Oportunity is probably THEE most important factor to consider first! If you wait a week while making up your mind, it may be gone. Only YOU know how much you can spend, and hopefully, have some kind of idea what tractor you're looking for!

As far as other sources, Craig's list is pretty good, as well as Facebook... beware of spammers on both/ANY site though! I don't know your location, but CT has Bargain News, and Maine has Mike's/Uncle Mikes?? Look around! Bob

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think there is a way to post an actual 'survey' with check boxes??
Yes it’s called starting a new thread.

For me it is price. The lower the better. I rarely find parts on wfm but have made a couple of purchases on wfm or mtf etc. Normally all my good finds are on Craigslist and an occasional offerup deal.

2101 - 2120 of 2143 Posts